Sign in with
Your question

Pentium prices lower as Athlon prices increase

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2001 7:22:40 PM

Yes, its me again going on about the <A HREF="http://commerce.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config/frameset..." target="_new">Dell computer</A> that's on sale for £1300. Here is the spec again:

1.8 GHz Pentium 4 /256 cache
mini Tower chassis
384 Mb NON-ECC RDRAM 2(64+128)
100Gb HD (7200rpm)
19" Triniton Flat Screen Monitor,
16x DVD Drive & Software Decoding
16x IDE CD-RW Internal
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Harmon Kardon 695 speakers (with subwoofer)
64MB nVidia GeFore3 Ti 200 Card
MS Windows XP
(plus other standard things)
3 years warranty
Total Price = £1300 (inc. VAT and delivery)

I have spent the whole of my last week researching the internet, visiting ALL my local computer stores and phoning all the major computer dealers in U.K. to see if anyone can beat the price of the Dell computer I saw. Believe me guys, NO ONE has yet been able to beat the price.

If I choose to built the computer with the same spec as Dell (quoted above), the closest anyone came to was £1513.

The cheapest OEM Athlon 1800+ I could find was for £1643.83
And if I choose to build this myself, the cheapest price I found was £1500!!!

I give up, it's too much hassle. I'm going to go ahead and buy the Dell PC. I can't even find an Athlon that can beat it's spec for the same price. F the benchmarks! I don't trust them.

Besides, I was looking for quality, stability and compatability over a long period of time. And all these factors are present in the Dell OEM computer. What's more is that I can't find any Athlon on a similar platform that can beat it's price!

Whoever disagrees can SMD!! unless you can prove me wrong!

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
November 17, 2001 7:40:00 PM

Conqueror wrote:

"I can't even find an Athlon that can beat it's spec for the same price. F the benchmarks! I don't trust them."

Exactly what do you mean with the above statement ?

You are in for a BIG surprise if you think it will beat even an AMD Athlon 1600+. Trust the benchmarks, they are OK. I know because I have a P4 1700 MHz, and it has relatively poor performance when it's not overclocked.

If you want some more info on the P4 performance, you are welcome to ask me any time.
November 17, 2001 7:48:11 PM

<i>You are in for a BIG surprise if you think it will beat even an AMD Athlon 1600+. </i>

I was not talking about "beating" one another. I was talking about the specification of the system.

I know that a lower spec Athlon can beat a higher clocked Pentium. That doesn't worry me, since time keeps changing, and new processors keep coming out. I'll be upgrading my processor soon when the Northwood has arrived and fallen down in price a bit.

Related resources
November 17, 2001 8:09:44 PM

For the price it's a good system but the motherboard and PSU (not to mention the case) will be inferior and won't be upgradeable or overclockable. I don't understand how Athlons are expensive in England when AMD has a a fab in Germany! Please list the specs and price of the AMD components, one by one. Frankly, I don't trust anyone with PC components but myself, so I don't like OEMs. OEMs always ship with a catch!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 17, 2001 8:38:40 PM

Why would the motherboard need upgrading? It is a socket 478, so it will support the new Northwood processors that are due to come out soon.

The PSU, why should that be a problem? Why can't I just buy a generic PSU and fit it in myself?

I don't think anyone would want to upgrade a case, unless something big has come into the market. I did check out Dell's website, and didn't spot any problems posted by the Dell's customers. Check out Dell's forum, where the customers post their problems there: <A HREF="http://delltalk.us.dell.com/" target="_new">http://delltalk.us.dell.com/&lt;/A>. Most of the problems are solved.
Also, look at this: <A HREF="http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/" target="_new">http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/&lt;/A>. I don't see any problems with upgrade.

a b à CPUs
November 17, 2001 8:48:44 PM

As long as it's using Socket 478 and is the best deal you can get, buy it! It's not like this particular system is using substandard parts like many cheaper Dells do. The parts on this one look extrodinary for an OEM system.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
November 17, 2001 8:54:09 PM

<i>Please list the specs and price of the AMD components, one by one. </i>

OK, here are the main components and prices for the AMD system:

Motherboard:
Socket A, ASUS A7V266
£137.47

Memory:
512MB DDR
£80.00

Processor:
AMD XP 1.6 GB
£151.03

Do these prices look high or what?

November 17, 2001 8:56:00 PM

Quote:

Why would the motherboard need upgrading?

Sorry for not making myself clear but OEM motherboards usually only include around 3 PCI slots so you'll be low on expansion slots.

Quote:
The PSU, why should that be a problem?

The PSU won't be a problem out of the box but it probably will be once you add some power-hungry upgrades.

Quote:
I don't think anyone would want to upgrade a case, unless something big has come into the market.

I was referring to the number of drive bays it would include. DELL cases aren't as big as standard Mid-Towers but they're bigger than standard mini-towers.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 17, 2001 9:10:17 PM

Well, here's the full spec of the system:
<A HREF="http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/uk/enu/dhs/products/..." target="_new">Tech Spec</A>

As you can see, the case/motherboard has 4 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. I think that is enough for anyone.

Here is a page where they show you how to remove and upgrade every single part in the Dell system:
<A HREF="http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/replace.ht..." target="_new">REPLACING</A> (click on, for example, "Replacing the Power Supply" on that page)

I still don't see any problems.

or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Conqueror on 11/17/01 11:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 17, 2001 9:53:45 PM

Ohh, looks nice then!!!! If you can choose the amount of RAM then I would get only 256MB because the extra 128 won't really speed up the system and you'll be wasting your other two slots.

November 17, 2001 9:56:00 PM

Ohh, looks nice then!!!! But as I said, it's only a mini-tower. If you build your own PC you can get a mid-tower or a full tower and a motherboard with 6 PCI slots. If you can choose the amount of RAM then I would get only 256MB because the extra 128 won't really speed up the system and you'll be wasting your other two slots.

November 18, 2001 1:05:49 AM

Quote:
If you can choose the amount of RAM then I would get only 256MB because the extra 128 won't really speed up the system and you'll be wasting your other two slots.

Err, bad advice there......depending on how the RAM is configured. You need two sticks of RDRAM to operate in dual channel mode....if not big performance hit. If you opt for only 256 make sure it is two 128 sticks and not one 256 stick.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?
November 18, 2001 1:13:27 AM

Um, you're giving the bad advice, Ncogneto! The Pentium 4 NEEDS two sticks, I realize that, but he wanted to fill up all the four slots, 2 with 128MB and 2 with 64MB! If you ask me, that's a waste! With all four slots, you have no upgradeablity path. What did you mean by my "bad" advice, what was bad about it?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2001 1:21:10 AM

Hmm ok I see what you mean,,,, did not catch the 2x64 + 2x 128 = 384.

What I thought was he had 256+128=384 ( which didn't really make sense either).

So, my apologies you did not give bad advice.....but then neither did I for I said make sure you have two sticks of 128 :p 

Personally expeirance, considering he is going to be running WINXP, 384 might not be bad, better than 256, but not as good as 512( which is what I would opt for).
November 18, 2001 1:24:30 AM

But in the future, he'll have to throw two sticks out, which is a waste of money!

November 18, 2001 1:30:57 AM

Hope your happy with your purchase, but you know saying amd prices are increasing based on a dell deal you can get this week is like saying coke is better than pepsi FOR EVERYONE, because its on sale at the supermarket this week.

But whatever, I truely hope you enjoy your new system.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 18, 2001 1:35:29 AM

PS: the cheapest oem 1800+ you could find, that you put a much more expensive videocard in, and a processor which would kick holes in the p41.7ghz in. Of course you couldnt find one for an equavalent price, you were getting a mid range p4 and an ultra high end athlon.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 18, 2001 1:39:58 AM

4 pci and 1 agp

videocard -agp
sound card-pci
modem-pci
network card-pci
usb card/expansion card of your choice-pci
ooops out of pci, no video capture card or any of the other cards you need.

4 pci slots is rather small.

PS: if you couldnt find an equvalent athlon system for less you have issues in price searching.

PPS: the athlon xp1800+ is much faster than the p4 1.8ghz the 1800+ is NOT in comparison to p4 chips.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~
November 18, 2001 1:48:38 AM

Unless he upgrades to the All in Wonder Radeon 8500DV!

November 19, 2001 1:56:32 PM

OK, 384Mb RDRAM was part of the deal. I wasn't given an option to throw out 2x64Mb. So I have to stick with 384Mb. 512Mb would be good, but it costs too much, considering that it's RDRAM we are talking here.

About the PCI slots, the systems comes with 4 of them.

I would need:

Graphics card
Sound Card
Modem
Video Capture card

I can't think of anything else I would need. I won't be connected to a network. It's an all one-man machine.

The USB ports are already inculded in separate locations, 2 in the back and 2 in the front.

When I said I couldn't find a Athlon PC for less, I meant that I DID do the search, but failed to find a cheaper PC!

<i>the athlon xp1800+ is much faster than the p4 1.8ghz the 1800+ is NOT in comparison to p4 chips.</i>

Yes it is, I agree. But an Athlon PC should be cheaper than a Pentium with SIMILAR specs.

If you add a few BETTER components to an Athlon, then the price should MATCH with that of the Pentium. But that was not the case since the price of Athlon was higher than Pentium.

November 19, 2001 2:50:10 PM

Yes, those prices DO look rather high.

Your motherboard sounds like it costs $190 US. I can get a KT266A SocketA board for $80 US off of PriceWatch. The best one (EPoX 8KHA+) costs a little over $100 US and will generally outperform the A7V266.

512MB DDR is 80 pounds? That sounds like about $130 US. I can get 512MB of top-quality Corsair PC2100 off of pricewatch for $100 US. Cheaper NEC memory would cost $60 US for a couple of 256MB DIMMs and will ship international.

The CPU price is all right for an XP 1900+. Of course, considering that an AthlonXP 1600+ can match the P4 1.8's performance for $110 US, the Athlon becomes a rather more impressive deal.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."
November 19, 2001 3:07:44 PM

What about RAID card, network card for high-speed internet? Also for video capture, you'll probably need 2 cards! One for analog video capture, such as the ATI TV Wonder (not the best example but it's ok), and a fireware card for digital video capture.

November 19, 2001 3:56:48 PM

Quote:
AMD XP 1.6 GB

Does that AMD come with 1.6 GB of RAM or hard drive space?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 19, 2001 5:05:12 PM

DELL=JUNK
November 19, 2001 7:02:29 PM

<i>Yes, those prices DO look rather high.</i>

But you can't compare prices in US with prices in UK. Something that sells for £1 here, does not neccessarily sell for $1 in the US. The prices I quoted were the cheapest I could find in the UK.

<i>What about RAID card, network card for high-speed internet? Also for video capture, you'll probably need 2 cards! One for analog video capture, such as the ATI TV Wonder (not the best example but it's ok), and a fireware card for digital video capture. </i>

I made a mistake in my previous post. The graphics card goes in the AGP slot, so I'll have 1 PCI slot left over. How many slots (PCI and AGP) do you have in your PC, AMD_Man?

<i>Does that AMD come with 1.6 GB of RAM or hard drive space?</i>

Neither! That was a typo from the place I copied it from. It should have read AMD XP 1.6 GHz.

<i>DELL=JUNK</i>

I'm not sure!

November 19, 2001 7:59:41 PM

I have 1 AGP slot, 6 PCI slots and 1 ISA, but the ISA slot is shared with the last PCI slots. However, I won't be using any ISA slots so that doesn't concern me.

November 19, 2001 9:31:55 PM

Seriously now, you've made your decision, what are you debating for? We've already told you that you're making the wrong decision but that's besides the point. I'm in the U.S., still don't know what the hell a J is, and have different options since it appears that you are having a hard time getting decent prices.

You seem to be fine with the performance difference so why don't you go buy the system already? As long as you're happy with your decision you have no reason to debate the purchase. You might as well enjoy it now...

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
November 19, 2001 10:56:06 PM

???

With 3 years warranty and a 19" monitor the price says £1465 inc vat!
I don't see a triniton monitor anywhere in that list! Also it says a DVD/CDRW combo drive, not seperate ones. I just don't trust those things. 200W PSU... not good... :-(

Prices include V.A.T

Athlon 1600+ = £122.19

Asus A7V266 + Onboard Audio = £137.46
or
Abit KT7A (200/266) = £90.46 (£103.39 including RAID option)
The KT7A has 1 AGP, 1 ISA, and 6 PCI slots.
(<A HREF="http://www.insight.com/uk" target="_new">http://www.insight.com/uk&lt;/A>)

Crucial 256MB PC2100 DDR ECCRegistered Ram = £34.22 (x2 = £68.44)
You can use four of these babies in one machine. If you can find a mobo with four slots!
(<A HREF="http://www.dabs.com" target="_new">http://www.dabs.com&lt;/A>

<font color=red><i>99% of statistics are made up!</i></font color=red>
November 19, 2001 11:26:54 PM

Not the KT7A, that's old!

November 19, 2001 11:40:09 PM

umm... could be wrong.. but isn't the KT7A a KT133A board... ie. your PC2100 DDR RAM is useless to this board setup.

better check your prices and equipment or you'll cripple him like a 845 chipset would.

"I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?"
November 20, 2001 12:35:07 AM

um, no, the KT7A is nothing like the 845! It's performance is quite close to it's DDR cousins.

November 20, 2001 3:28:57 AM

Looks like a great deal, dell systems are ussually pretty solid too. Might not be too upgradable if that matters. Otherwise I would suggest buying it

AMD = Anger Management Disorder
November 20, 2001 6:29:09 AM

Uh Conquerer... Try going through the Dell configuration process first. With the specs that you mentioned the price actually comes out to £1,691.00, EXCLUDING VAT. With VAT and delivery it comes out to be £2,044.50! You'll definitely be able to find a cheaper AthlonXP system.
November 20, 2001 8:09:43 AM

He dosent care corona, his post was flamebait I believe, he dosent listen to any opposing views, he has his heart set on intel, let him buy his overpriced system. Its his money to waste.

No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
November 20, 2001 6:05:02 PM

What J are you referring to?

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!
November 21, 2001 7:48:58 PM

<i>I'm in the U.S., still don't know what the hell a J is, and have different options since it appears that you are having a hard time getting decent prices.</i>

It's not a "J" symbol. It's the "£" (pound) symbol. You must know what the currency for England (U.K) is. Actually, I think I know why you got this problem. in your explorer window, set your character set to "Western Alphabet". You will notice that the "J" will change to "£".

<i>With 3 years warranty and a 19" monitor the price says £1465 inc vat!
I don't see a triniton monitor anywhere in that list! Also it says a DVD/CDRW combo drive, not seperate ones. I just don't trust those things. 200W PSU... not good... :-( </i>

Yes your right that it comes to a lot more than £1300, but I got the offer direct from Dell by phoning them. Also, I know it doesn't mention Trinton on the website but that's what it is. I have actually asked for a quote over the phone and they sent me the full spec to my address. It DOES say 19" Triniton flat screen monitor.

OH BY THE WAY, THEY CHANGED THE SYSTEM AND ADDED A DVD/CDRW COMBO NOW. BUT GOOD JOB I GOT A QUOTE FROM THEM BEFORE THEY MADE THIS CHANGE. IF I WOULD GO AHEAD WITH THIS PC, I WOULD GET DVD AND CDRW SEPARATE.

<i>Uh Conquerer... Try going through the Dell configuration process first. With the specs that you mentioned the price actually comes out to £1,691.00, EXCLUDING VAT. With VAT and delivery it comes out to be £2,044.50! You'll definitely be able to find a cheaper AthlonXP system.</i>

Yeah, your right that it comes to 1,691.00. but that's because you used some other system as your basic unit and then made changes to that. Try making changes from <A HREF="http://commerce.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config/frameset..." target="_new">this link</A>. Change the monitor and the warranty, and the mouse, and it comes to £1468.75 (inc vat & deliv). But as I said, I rang Dell up and they gave me further reduction in price to £1300!!!

<i>He dosent care corona, his post was flamebait I believe, he dosent listen to any opposing views, he has his heart set on intel, let him buy his overpriced system. Its his money to waste.</i>

Listen, fellas. My heart is set on Intel because of their quality and stability and compatiblity! AND ALL THIS FOR CHEAPER PRICE THAN THE ATHLON XP 1800+ !!!

IF I could find a cheaper system than Dell's, I would not hesitate to buy it. But so far, I have notyet been able to find a cheaper system.

I have visited to many Seller's in my area, and no one has yet even come close to the system I quoted. Even if I built an Athlon, they price is still MORE than Dell's!!!

So it would be stupid if I went with Athlon. The reason why I keep going on about this is because all I hear on this board is "ATHLON", "ATHLON", "ATHLON", yet I don't see any reason to buy an Athlon. They are more expensive than Pentiums these days in my country.

November 21, 2001 8:46:57 PM

So go buy it already. You're not listening to those of us who have bought Dells and hated them (and the company), and you're not listening to the people telling you to build your own, so just go ahead and order the Dell. You'll probably enjoy it, and we'll be happy for you.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
November 21, 2001 9:08:08 PM

Quote:

So go buy it already. You're not listening to those of us who have bought Dells and hated them (and the company), and you're not listening to the people telling you to build your own, so just go ahead and order the Dell. You'll probably enjoy it, and we'll be happy for you.

I couldn't agree with you more. Get a Dell if you don't care about upgradeablity, it's that simple. Although comparing a P4 1.8GHz to an Athlon XP 1800+ because the Athlon XP would be significantly faster in many cases.

November 21, 2001 9:26:15 PM

But I don't want you guys to agree with me !!! :eek: 
I want you to tell me that I'm making the wrong choice!! yes you have been doing that, but you guys don't have real good reasons, apart from the fact that the Athlon xp is a bit cheaper and faster than the P4.

The main reason why you guys would go for the Athlon was because of the price, wasn't it?? But for me, in this country, the price situtation is reverse!! the Athlons seem to be more about the same price (if not more expensive) as the Pentiums.

If suddenly all the Pentium machines became cheaper than the Athlons in the U.S. what would you people do?? Would you still carry on buying Athlons???

November 21, 2001 9:41:50 PM

Are you sure it's the reverse, I have a feeling there is a catch with Dell's system. Try finding prices for separate P4 motherboards and processors and compare them to Athlon XP motherboards and processor and tell us what you find. There is obviously a catch with Dell as there always is but we just don't know what it is yet. I'm guessing it's the motherboard.

November 21, 2001 9:43:05 PM

If Intel CPUs were 10-15% more expensive for the same performance, I would buy them instead of AMD.

November 21, 2001 10:16:30 PM

But they never will be.
Hell even a Celeron of lower MHZ is more expensive than the Duron at higher speeds. IF they can't cope with value processor money generating, then they will never go lower... Even the P4 1.5 is not close yet to be lower than Athlons that much.
November 21, 2001 10:36:51 PM

My suggestion would be to also go to these stores where you had custom-built AthlonXP's quoted and get quotes on a similar custom-built Pentium IV system. Or perhaps link to some online stores that ship custom builds to the UK. I'm betting the P4 quotes would end up being rather higher.

I'm guessing that somehow, you got lucky with this system quote--in which case, I'd say go for it, if you feel you can trust Dell. Most of us here don't like Dell, or actually any OEMs at all.

Oh, btw...PriceWatch marks companies that can ship internationally. I dug up a price list form PriceWatch, with all companies able to ship internationally.

EPoX EP-8KHA+: $105
Antec SX840 case with 400W PSU: $124
AthlonXP 1800+ w/HSF and 3yr. warranty: $214 US
512MB Crucial PC2100: $62 US
Jaton GeForce3 Ti200: $173 US
Sony 19" Trinitron: $460 US
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's: est. $180 US (find a dealer near you, or try ordering direct from Klipsch)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz: $67 US
US Robotics v.90 hardware modem: $44 US
IBM 40GB+IBM60GB, 7200RPM: $95+$124 US
Lite-On 16x DVD: $48 US
Lite-On 24x10x40 CD/RW: $75 US
Generic keyboard: $20 US
Logitech optical USB/PS2 mouse: $15 US
TEAC 3.5" floppy drive: $8 US
<b>Total cost</b> == $1814 US

Only major difference is more RAM, more power, different speakers, and (of course) different CPU, mobo, and RAM. The only internationally shipping Harmon Kardon speakers I saw on PriceWatch were 12W speakers for some $10 or so--to me, that just reeked of cheeze. The Klipsch set is probably rather better than the Harmon Kardon set (and consequently more expensive). :tongue:

Am I missing any parts there? If not, that system will generally exceed the capabilities of the Dell system and also be more upgradeable and more compatible than almost any OEM system out there.

Quote:
If suddenly all the Pentium machines became cheaper than the Athlons in the U.S. what would you people do?? Would you still carry on buying Athlons???

Depends on how much cheaper. I've come to consider the Athlon to be a better product in general, so I'm willing to pay somewhat more for one.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."
November 21, 2001 10:55:06 PM

maybe the guy just wants a dell... You get a good warrenty and other benifits you don't get from a slapped together custom system. Dell doesn't offer amd systems because it would be a support nightmare.

AMD = Anger Management Disorder
November 22, 2001 2:28:52 AM

My point, and I think the point of everyone else who has posted con. Is that if YOU can get a great deal on a dell, magically or what not. And it is the best choice for YOU, then you come to this forum and ask us our oppinion on your deal. Then you ignore the advice of everyone here, and use your special deal to state that amd is more expensive than intel, which is not true as 1000 people have tried to prove to you, but you dont listen. We ask ourselves, what is your point, why are you posting at all, you obviously have your mind made up, so just buy the dell already and leave us alone lol.

No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
November 22, 2001 7:05:50 AM

ship that to the UK and you pay IT tax and sales tax (total ~ 25%). Not such a hot idea.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
November 22, 2001 2:46:05 PM

Dont Waste your money its a Socket 423 system.

*cough*Northwood is a Socket 478 chip*cough*Dead system*cough*

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2001 3:57:31 PM

want some sound unbiased advice send me a mail and I'll mail you from home where I can research and find you the best price I can. We are only here to try and help you. If you ask for our advice we can only go off experience and personal knowledge. Trust me I work for an OEM company. If you, for some reason, get a rough time there is very little you will do. You could end up having a bad time - Taking Dell to court would be fruitless - they have clauses against anything you can think of all OEM's would be fully covered on the legal side. I'm not trying to scare you or warn you off in any way a lot of people have a wonderful experience with OEM's. I work for one of their tech lines - Listening to the poeple that ring up I genuinely feel sorry for a lot of them. We just don't want you going through the same experience - Listen to the advice cos there are a lot of experienced people on here who live and breate computers.

Mail me if ya want on

techie2000@supanet.com and I'll do my best for ya. I'll be back tomoz - so byall

A whole day of intelligence - w00t.

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!
November 22, 2001 5:56:46 PM

Isn't Trinitron made by Sony???

Anyway, Conquerer if they actually did lower the price for you it's probably because they're trying to get rid of all of their socket423 P4 inventory. In other words you may be getting a deal for a product line that will be discontinued but at the same time you have to sacrifice the ability to upgrade your system in the future. If you're not the type that upgrades your system often then go for the Dell otherwise I'd find another solution.
November 22, 2001 6:50:25 PM

1.the monitor is made by DELL..17" tri or not..

2.i posted this on your last flamed thread and ill post it again, DELL is getting the same products from the same resellers, they cant built a cheaper system then one built by you.

3.as other people mentioned, upgradabillity IS a problam.

it seems you just like to overlook those espects that are really obvious, and you try convinsing your self with BS by posting BS post on this thread, go ahead and buy the system, your money to trash as some one said here.
your just looking to impress your small friends with your BS dell system, i dont know why there been so many posts on these two threads i dont think ill post again on them anymore.

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
!