  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
September 29, 2004 2:03:14 AM

The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?

Mike

More about : oldest running dell

September 29, 2004 2:03:15 AM

Uh... I got a Commodore PET.

Mel
"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>
> Mike
September 29, 2004 1:09:41 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:16:54 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
wrote:

>Uh... I got a Commodore PET.
>
>Mel
>"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
>news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
>> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
>> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
>> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
>> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>>
>> Mike

I have a Model III from Radio Shack but it ain't a Dell :-p And it's
long dead. Figured I would try to keep it Dell related. My Dad has a
Dell 486 somewhere though I am not sure it runs anymore.

Mike
September 29, 2004 8:44:06 PM

> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:16:54 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Uh... I got a Commodore PET.
> >
> >Mel
> >"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> >news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
> >> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
> >> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
> >> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
> >> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
> >>
> >> Mike
> >

> I have a Model III from Radio Shack but it ain't a Dell :-p And it's
> long dead. Figured I would try to keep it Dell related. My Dad has a
> Dell 486 somewhere though I am not sure it runs anymore.
>
> Mike

Let's see......Dell Inspiron 7K w/64MB RAM 4GB HD, a circa 1984 Tandy Mirco
Color Computer (MCC) w/16K RAM expansion pak, PB 486/8Mhz w/12MB RAM 200MB
HD, IBM 286 (can't remember details, haven't switched on in years).
--
Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA

---
September 30, 2004 12:27:17 PM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:03:14 GMT, Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote:

>The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
>Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
>Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
>Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>
>Mike

Dell XPS 333 DVD from around 1996
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 2:20:09 PM

Dell XPS M233s - late 1995. This PC is my best Dos gaming PC. :-)

Joan

Mike wrote:
> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>
> Mike
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:16:12 AM

Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote:
> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?

Dell XPS P90, Sep 94. Originally Win31/4MB/540MB IDE, but has since
been upgraded to Win95/8MB/2GB drive. Not good for much, but still
running 24/7, solely for a stand-alone computer-based training app in
a small office.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:10:37 PM

In article <4402385b.0410030116.6b12ac9e@posting.google.com>,
dg1261nojunk@cs.com (dg1261) wrote:
>Mike <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote:
>> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
>> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
>> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
>> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>
>Dell XPS P90, Sep 94. Originally Win31/4MB/540MB IDE, but has since
>been upgraded to Win95/8MB/2GB drive. Not good for much, but still
>running 24/7, solely for a stand-alone computer-based training app in
>a small office.

I know a couple of Dell 486s that died about 12 months ago. Not sure
why, but a quick squiz revealed corroded motherboard tracks apparently
caused by a leaking battery in both cases -- which is not to say this
*was* the cause of death, just that it seemed likely.

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
Anonymous

"Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?

Well what was the first model Dell ever shipped?
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:49:27 AM

That would be a PC Limited, not a Dell. A 486 if I remember.

Tom
"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
news:p BZ7d.660730$Gx4.205262@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
> news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
>> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
>> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
>> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
>> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>
> Well what was the first model Dell ever shipped?

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 12:49:28 AM

I believe PC Limited went back at least as far as 286's.

The first Dell I bought for our company was a 33Mhz 386 back in the early
90's.

news:o YmdnaI8K9VX-_3cRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
> That would be a PC Limited, not a Dell. A 486 if I remember.
>
> Tom
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> news:p BZ7d.660730$Gx4.205262@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
>> news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
>>> The oldest Dell I have that I still use (once in a while) is an
>>> Dimension XPS Pro 200n MT which was shipped on 11/13/1996. It has 64
>>> Megs of RAM, and then had a 4 Meg Matrox video card and a whopping 3.2
>>> Gig IBM hard drive :-) Anyone else care to share their oldest Dell ?
>>
>> Well what was the first model Dell ever shipped?

Anonymous
October 4, 2004 1:04:12 AM

Yes, yes, of course. can't believe I didn't remember that.
"Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I believe PC Limited went back at least as far as 286's.
>
> The first Dell I bought for our company was a 33Mhz 386 back in the early
> 90's.

> news:o YmdnaI8K9VX-_3cRVn-gQ@comcast.com...
>> That would be a PC Limited, not a Dell. A 486 if I remember.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>> news:p BZ7d.660730$Gx4.205262@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>>
>>> "Mike" <Mike@SunnyOrlando.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o enjl0h8juhkeqdjcnqr94lsplu06976c8@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> Well what was the first model Dell ever shipped?

October 4, 2004 11:12:45 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:04:12 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Yes, yes, of course. can't believe I didn't remember that.
>"Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I believe PC Limited went back at least as far as 286's.
>>
>> The first Dell I bought for our company was a 33Mhz 386 back in the early
>> 90's.

LOL!
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 10:57:58 PM

How about an original Mac. 2Mg ram hardwired in with no way to add more. Stand
alone unit (monitor and cpu in one box), very little software made for it, B/W
monitor and sold for over $2000 when new.

You can still find working models at thrift stores for $10-$20.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 10:57:59 PM

Hmmmmm.

This thread is about your oldest running DELL.

If we start drifiting off into the last of the oldest running computer,
there are plenty of us that have running systems that go way back before the
Mac and the IBM ever existed.

Heck even I still have my old Osborne Model I 'portable' that still runs
fine.

"JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
> How about an original Mac. 2Mg ram hardwired in with no way to add more.
> Stand
> alone unit (monitor and cpu in one box), very little software made for it,
> B/W
> monitor and sold for over $2000 when new.
>
> You can still find working models at thrift stores for $10-$20.
> "Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 2:23:29 PM

Hi

I never knew a computer can die. I thought the only reason its abandend is
because its too slow for the new generation of computers. WHy is the max of
computer coverage only 4 years?

In article <2safeeF1fr7jkU1@uni-berlin.de>, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com (Phred)
writes:

>I know a couple of Dell 486s that died about 12 months ago. Not sure
>why, but a quick squiz revealed corroded motherboard tracks apparently
>caused by a leaking battery in both cases -- which is not to say this
>*was* the cause of death, just that it seemed likely.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 5:40:32 PM

The organic entity known as EsFeS communicated the following:

> I never knew a computer can die. I thought the only reason its
> abandend is because its too slow for the new generation of computers.
> WHy is the max of computer coverage only 4 years?

Would you like to produce spare parts for old technology knowing just a
handful of people would use it after a couple (say 4) of years. It would
probably be more expensive than a new, more powerful, computer would be.

--
Hans
!