Good gaming laptop that's under $700

Status
Not open for further replies.

eker676

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'm looking for a decent laptop that will play all the latest games. The games I play are mostly fps like Call of Duty.

I don't know what to look for in a graphics card and I don't feel like dropping hundreds on a worthless computer.

Preferably Asus or Dell, definitely not Acer.

All I want to do is have games like COD playable on medium/high settings. If there are integrated cards that perform well that would be fine but a dedicated card I can upgrade would be nice.

Minimum battery life while browsing the web, and tasks that aren't cpu intensive should be at least 3 hours. I'll be plugged in for any gaming.

Anything over $700 is out of the question. I just can't justify spending that much right now.

As for where I would prefer to buy it, I don't have much past history buying computers online, so any site you deem trustworthy will be fine. Instore: Best Buy, etc, is fine too, but I doubt they have anything reasonably priced.

Basically, I'm looking for something that won't be completely out of date in 2-3 years.

Hello eker676;

@ NewEgg website: Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 15" notebook $700
Core i5 480M 2.66GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ HD 5730 graphics.
It meets all your requirements except the battery goal of 3 hrs. That HD 5730 graphics card isn't switchable when not gaming.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 Notebook this reviewed model had a different CPU (quad core) and faster 7200 rpm HDD but the review should be valid for that NewEgg model as well.

This is going to turn out to be the better option:
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 15.6-inch "Sandy Bridge" notebook Core i5 $680
Core i5 2410M CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ GT 555M graphics. The Optimus graphics should get you 3+ hrs battery while surfing the web or light duty office/school tasks.
That GT 555M graphics card should get you a decent shot at some High graphics settings too.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution

eker676

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Wow those both look nice. Thanks for your suggestions, that second one looks like the perfect thing.

Well, just bought the second one. It's going to be a huge upgrade from my current machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.