MP performance

G

My question is i will feel a difference in performance running many applications at once using an athlon mp compared to an athlon xp (ie. internet xplorer, half life, direct connect, and etc.). Will the performance be increased with one more processor, or will it stay the same because the programs weren't optimized for dual cpu support. I would think the chipset or windows (since i am running win xp pro and it does support 1-2 processors) would split the data needing to be processed. That would in affect decrease the wait for it to be processed. Can anyone clarify if my thought are correct or incorrect? And does anyone have any links for mp benchmarks (all types of multi-processor systems).
One site with MP benchmarks:
http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?review=xeonvsamp&page=1&mscssid=&tp=

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Only if the specific app is smp enabled, however having more than one cpu in a dual cpu aware os allows you to delegate whole programs to specific processors, so you can multitask with little to no loss in performance on either app.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Yes, go to www.anandtech.com ...
They did a review on the Athlon MP 1.0 and 1.2GHz Processor's....

BTW..what u meant is will you notice a difference between running an Athlon XP Vs. 2 Athlon MP's.....Correct ? =)

Well an XP and MP are the same chip pretty much, except XP is not SMP Enabled......earlier XP's were...btu the ones of the latter/current are not....exact/identical MHz MP & XP side-by-side wont have ANY performance advantage/disadvantage...only difference at all will be physical appearance (XP being brownish colour material) and Heat....XP will create a TAD less heat becasue of the type of packaging.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new"> <b> My Rig </b> </A>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
If the OS is capable of multiple processors, there will be some advantages gained as it will split up some tasks, but true multi-processor programs will gain much more than ones that aren't

Just on an interesting side note to dedicating programs to processors...

Often, on servers that are run as webservers with multiple mirror sites (Online banks have them to handel a large volume of transactions) will often have four different instances of a webserver running, one assigned to each processor. Of course, usually they will actualy have a cluster of servers with a routing computer that sends the users to the server with the least volume.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
one-
could you please make a new thread for this topic? there only seems to be 3, so with another thread you might get more answers.
two-
reading your posts from the other threads and this leads me to believe someone, somewhere told you that you HAVE to have dual cpu's if you want to run more than one app. all i have to say is LOL!!! for apps you just described, you would have NO PROBLEM at all running them or most other apps simultaneously. but then again it's not my money so go for it, oh and i'd go with nothing less than 1.5gb of ram, you know IE is a big ram hog.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

G

Say i run windows xp professional (it can handle 1-2 processors), and i multitask a lot, would it dedicate one processor to my mp3 player and another to my p2p program or whatever? Does it do it automatically or will i have to program something or whatever to make it do that?

G

FYI... you can multitask using one processor.
Thing is, i wanna know if i should get a dual processor system or a single processor system. In late january (after mid terms and regents) i wanna get a new system. I'm not sure whether i want to get a single processor or a dual processor system. I'm asking a lot of questions on smp and things that are related to dual processor because i want to order everything in january and don't want to spend a month doing research and stuff.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
FYI... you can multitask using one processor
your telling me this why?
like i said in one of your other posts on this subject. if you have to ask why or how dual cpu setup works, you obviously DO NOT need it. if you want to spend money on 2 cpus and the motherboard to go with it, go ahead, it's not my money and all you will benefit from it is bragging rights, that's if people even care.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

G

I don't care about the bragging rights, no one in my school knows like [-peep-] about computers. I want to learn how a dual cpu setup works to determine whether i will benefit from it or not. As you can probably see, i am slowly learning, but i am learning nonetheless.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
possibly. it all depends on what your going to do.

dual CPU's shine when you are doing a number of spu intensive tasks. playing a game, making mp3's, crumcing movies etc.

you will not see a difference if all you do is work, excel, cruse the internet, play mp3's and burn cd's.
i can do all that and have a cpu intensive cure for cancer task running in the background at 90% cpu activity.

there is also the cost factor, a SMP system will cost alot more. most people dont need them in todays age of super fast cpu's.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

TRENDING THREADS