what is different form 423 to 478

G

hi all, i'm still wonding between AMD and intel.
almost everyone here said AMD is better then intel. but if for a guy doesn't play 3D game, don't know how to overclock and will not ripe DVD with watch it at the same time. main things i'm looking for is stability i don't want while writing the paper then computer crash.(money is not a big issue but resonable price), do you guys will still recommand me to buy an AMD?? by the way except 423pin only go up to 2G Hz any other adventage 478 has?
thanks

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
You really don't need an absolutely top performing computer from what you've told. Buy a generic low priced AMD Athlon XP based system (XP 1600+) and save your money for something better. I doubt the rumours regarding AMD's stability, as long as the system is proper cooled.

If money is no issue, a P4 system with RDRAM is certainly a nice thing to have. In my opinion it's a more fool-proof system. It's virtually impossible to destroy the CPU, even if you mess around with overclocking and inadequate cooling. That's not an issue for an experienced DIY, but if you're a newbie a P4 system is less likely to give you trouble.

You have to go for Socket 478 though, if you want the option of upgrading the CPU sometime in the future.

If you can wait just a little longer (I know, you're always told) then wait about 2 month where Intel will be releasing the P4 Northwood which will only be Socket 478. Then buy a CPU that is one or two clockspeed steps below the top. This usually gives the most bang for the buck, especially when talking Intel CPU's.

The P4 needs a decent motherboard; go for one based on the Intel 850 chipset (Abit TH7-II RAID or ASUS P4T-E). It's a common belief that really high clockspeed P4's will be able to utilize the extra memory bandwidth that RDRAM provides. There are cheaper alternative DDR based chipsets popping up and they may be worth taking into consideration in a couple of month.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Amd is just as stable as intel, whatever your choice you will be happy, what it comes down to is, do you want to pay 300+ dollars more for the intel name? Its up to you.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Naw, save your $$ and go for an AMD system. P4's are just overpriced pieces of junk. Plus teh RDRAM will cost more. AMD systems are very very stable. As long as you don't pull of teh heatsink while it's operating, you'll be fine. Also, you don't even need an XP1600. Get like a 1.2 Ghz T-Bird.

If it's working...overclock it!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
xp1600 is the best price/performance chip around right now.

Its a better buy than a 1.2ghz tbird.

plbass

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
is there really that much of a gap between using a p4 with sdram instead of rdram?

Hey Baby, I'll install YOUR RAM, if you boot my Hard drive!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, the performance gap is huge! Roughly 20-25% on average. This isn't just an app here or there, but overall average performance difference. You may as well get a Celeron if you are considering a P4 with SDRam, and save yourself the money!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A p4 with sdram BLOWS, it is owned by almost everything else on the road. A 1.7ghz p4 while with rambus is about the same speed as a 1.33ghz tbird cant even best a 1 ghz tbird when crippled by dram, did I mention that the p4 costs 3 times as much as the p4.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Damnit, no more posting for me after 13 hours of looking at defects on wafers....im headin to bed now.

Tbird costs 3 times as much as the p4.

G

I dont think the cpu is gonna matter much to you, from what you write, a Celeron, Duron, P3, P4, Athlon.. all of them will do nicely. WHat you should look out for, is piles of RAM, a GREAT monitor, a quiet cool looking case.. the sort of stuff that enhances your computing experience when speed is not the main issue.

As for the cpu platform.. I'd still go the AMD route. HAve a local dealer build you a nice Duron or low end Athlon XP system. Save on the cpu, but on nothing else ! Get a decent PSU, a silent but adequate cooler, quality RAM, etc. That way, you'll have an afordable, upgradable, reasonably fast, stable and future proof system.

If you have little or no experience building PC's, dont try it.. let someone do it for you.. especially if you go the AMD way.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Matisaro wrote:

"Tbird costs 3 times as much as the p4."

Huh ???
I actually saved money buying the P4 ???

Say again man !!!!

--------

Tell me: Those wafers, are they by any means shipping to AMD. Just thought about the stability problems AMD is said to have. :)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Goddamnit...............sighs

ok, I am stressed about possibly violating ndp with my other post, but it had no trade secrets in the pic, so I am ok, regardless I have been up for 20 hours......one last try

THE P4 IS 3 TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS THE TBIRD.....::sighs::

ok thats better.

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
All together chaps,

"OH NO IT'S NOT". All the P4 parts part from the 2 Ghz cost less than £250. An XP 1600 costs £200 in the U.K.

Charlie

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?

eden

Champion
Is it me or is the UK trying to screw you guys by buying P4s, and disregard AMD? Conqueror has this problem too! He claims his P4 1.8ghz from Dell is less than a XP1800 OEM! Didn't know the government had a secret "let's-overprice-AMD-CPUs-so-we-can-get-funded-by-Intel" room!
Trust me here in Canada, Athlons have always been the cheapest priced, no hassles.

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Yeah, its great isn't it. Seriously, we aren't complaining. I think Intel has a fab in Ireland, maybe it's cheaper to import them to the U.K. then shipping AMD stuff from Germany or the US, whereever they are built.

Why would Intel want to give money to a tight arse-hole like Gordon Brown (should've been drowned at birth)?

Charlie

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well its a bit better in australia...
top of the line p42.0's going for $1000+...
and old athlons for less tahn $250.
XP's are still a tad pricey, with the top of the range ones comming in at around $500.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Charlie, the 1 ghz athlon is three times less than the 1.7p4, if you would read from my origional post.