Northwood release date

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
There is no official date now.Any date is suggestion or personnal opinion.

Also for the feature we know that he have 512 L2 and 0.13 micron except that we know nothing.

There a lot of rumor on Northwood core.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 11/18/01 01:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Lets hope they'll tweak the micro-code also, now they're at it. For sure, it's badly needed in order to maintain the goodwill among Intel supporters.

Also Intel should launch both 2.2GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.4GHz or whatever it takes to make it to the top in the common benchmarks. If not, even the most loyal Intel supporters will find it difficult to stay on the bandwagon. It doesn't matter it the top CPU is priced higher than the top Athlon XP, we're used to that, but it's vital that it outperforms the best Athlon.

/Copenhagen

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Also Intel should launch both 2.2GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.4GHz or whatever it takes to make it to the top in the common benchmarks. If not, even the most loyal Intel supporters will find it difficult to stay on the bandwagon. It doesn't matter it the top CPU is priced higher than the top Athlon XP, we're used to that, but it's vital that it outperforms the best Athlon

Intel think about 200 mghz gap.2.0 2.2 2.4.Not only he must be beat Xp but also thouroughbred.Bolth must go down if intel want to survive.In realistic case if they can be 0% to 5% slower that thouroughbred with 400 FSB.Northwood will a succesful CPU.Prescott is far from mainstream.

Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

G

If you could get an athlon that performs the same as a 2.4GHz processor but had a clock speed of 2GHz and costs $50 less - what would you go for. I wouldn't give a monkeys if a 2.4GHZ intel beat an Athlon - I pay less so I can spend more $$$ on o'clocking more :smile:

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!

G

>Bolth must go down if intel want to survive

Oh, I dont think intel is in any kind of trouble. They could probably release a 2.4 Ghz cpu that performed worse than a 2 Ghz P4, call it "super hyper net-burst P4.5 architecture", ask $800 for it, and it would still sell. Not to THG community members, but to the average Joe.

Regardless of how well AMD performs, how cheap it is, as long as major OEMs are not selling AMD systems, intel isnt in any kind of trouble. Let me give you an example: my brother just started working in some Radius software consulting firm. He needed to buy a cheap test server for his own experimenting. Requirements: one or two cpu's 1+ Ghz, removable IDE storage (but no Raid/SCSI necessary), lots of Ram, 3 available 5,25" external bays, and the some.

The cheapest OEM machine to meet the specs was easily >$3.000 because removable storage meant SCSI, hotswappable, ..etc. So he proposed to build a machine himself with IDE and drive bays, and a dual Athlon (remember, a test machine.. no need for 24/7 uptime, on site warranty, and such). He got a flat out NO. Not because its wasnt an OEM machine, but because of the AMD. They didnt care it was faster and cheaper. Even for an occasional test setup, and not something mission critical 24/7.

As we speak, he is assembling his 1.8 Ghz P4 on i845 + Sdram. Can you believe that ?

I'll give you one other illustration. . Just about all of the collegues I know about, have an AMD machine at home, only one having an "old" P3-500, and another with a Dell laptop. 9 others I know off, have a K6, Athlon or XP machine. These people include technical staff, and IT management. Now in my office, there must be about.. 50 or so computers. Desktops, servers, laptops. All but ONE of them run intel. (The exception being a sun server).

Go figure.. our IT manager has two Athlons at home, and is very happy with them.. but he just cant buy OEM amd machines even he'd wish/dare.

Trust me. intel isnt in any sort of trouble for the time being. Its AMD.. regardless of how well their products are.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

I don't actually think that AMD is in the business of selling OEM. They are more for the tuners, tinkerers self builders etc. There are two different markets - Intel aim their products at the OEM market - GENERALLY people who buy OEM are first time users so Intel know they can sell what the user thinks is the fastest chip on the planet - wow I've got a 2.4GHz intel pentium inside. wooo. Then some one comes along with their 2GHz athlon Xp - the intel user still think theirs is faster as they havn't the resources or knowledge to prove otherwise. Basically intel make decent chips - they just need a slight adjusment in the way they are engineered. Intel have a lot of problems with their chips. Thats not a criticism because if you sell a lot of chips you are going to have more returns.

If I sell 10 chips and 5 are broken I am at 50pct efficiency. If I sell If I sell 20 chips and 9 are broken then I'm at 45pct efficiency - SO I may have more broken chips but I produce more in the first place. This is like AMD and Intel - I'm not sure of the exact figures but Intel are more than likely gonna produce more chips the AMD so Intel are going to have more returns. But which is more efficient - Intel - Lower PERCENTAGE of returns rather than actual chips.

That went off at a completly different tangent but I was interupted halfway through and lost track of what I was on about - oops. :smile:

Hey I enjoyed typing it.

23 intelligent posts and counting.

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TechiE2001 on 11/22/01 01:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

>I don't actually think that AMD is in the business of
>selling OEM.

No they are not, but rest assured they'd want to be. Thats where the big money is. Not those few hardware enthousiasts that build their own PC's, and order parts from 2000 miles away just because its $5 cheaper. I dont have any hard figures, but I suspect OEM to have between 80 en 90 percent of the market. Leaving maybe 10% for small dealers who build themselves, and the remaining few percentage for the enthousiast. If any one has any real figures, I'd be happy to read them.

>If I sell 10 chips and 5 are broken I am at 50pct
>efficiency. If I sell If I sell 20 chips and 9 are broken
>then I'm at 45pct efficiency - SO I may have more broken
>chips but I produce more in the first place

You may want to cut back on cafeine.. ;-)

>23 intelligent posts and counting.

23 ? And honorary poster ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
techie is posting like a busted ecs k75sa.....for about 2 seconds the bam repost. He is climbing ranks faster than fatty ever did!

As for the AMD being in trouble, they arent, they have small overhead and a small number of fabs, intel meanwhile may sell more, but they also have more overhead and fab costs, both are fine financially(as a semi company can be in this period anyways) neither is going anywhere anytime soon.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

techie is posting like a busted ecs k75sa

Watch out fatty here I come.

Yeah normally I just post in the other section but it's getting quite in there. So I thought i'ed say hello. Mmm this isn't an intelligent post.

My analogy on the efficiency is in a way correct. In order for AMD to crack the market they need to let people know they exist. How many AMD adverts do you see on TV. I've <b>never</b> seen one. So people are ignorant to the AMD chips. Intel have the little jingle and the intel inside adverts with those really silly blue men. wtf is that all about. But still it works - people know about intel they don't know that AMD and Cyrix are active in the CPU market. So more advertising a better PR department and AMD should start rolling. It can only help can't it? AMD are relying too much on the enthuiast market to bring in sales. It's working as these kind of users understand what they are getting for their money. But generally OEM users don't. They see the words Intel inside and 'cos it's on the Telly they think they must be the best.

Taking Caffine for example - Nescafe is the most popular - why? Cos they are on the TV.

Yo AMD - get a Marketing Strategy that involves either radio, hard media or TV and you'll be laughing all the way. The intel will struggle to survive. OEM's will wake up, Consumers will see the light and AMD will profit. I just hope that if this happens the quality of the AMD product won't suffer becuase of it. Ie
"yes were the best so why try harder" kinda thing.

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Techie2001 on 11/23/01 12:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

This is going completely off topic, but read this one:
<A HREF="http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?IR=N&ClassID=100&datePublish=2001/11/21&pages=01&seq=1" target="_new">http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?IR=N&ClassID=100&datePublish=2001/11/21&pages=01&seq=1</A>

230m US$ loss on 755m US$ revenue between july and september. Thats not very good. Intel is still reporting a healthy 389m profit on 6.545m revenues. Im not saying AMD is 'going anywhere soon', but something will have to change...

G

Like I said - they need a better marketing strategy.

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Everyones profits are down, and intels profit fell 90%+ in that quarter, next q intel will be in the red as well, ALL semiconductor companies(save nvidia and a few other ones) are either losing, or about to be losing money right now. AMD and intel both have cash in the bank and neither are anywhere near going out of buisness.

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I doubt that. Intel is one of only three compnaies in the world to report profits in excess of $100 million consecutively for the last 40 quaters. That is from the F.T.

Bearing that in mind, they may not report 100's of millions of dollars of profit next quarter, but they won't be in the red. Trust me on that.

Charlie

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If their profit fell 90% last quarter.(the thread is on this forum about 15-20 pages back) and the industry expects to fall 5-15% this quarter, you can surely bet your ass they may be in the red this quarter. Intel is a huge company, and a huge company with alot of fabs gets hit the hardest in a semiconductor slump.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Regardless of how well AMD performs, how cheap it is, as long as major OEMs are not selling AMD systems, intel isnt in any kind of trouble. Let me give you an example: my brother just started working in some Radius software consulting firm. He needed to buy a cheap test server for his own experimenting. Requirements: one or two cpu's 1+ Ghz, removable IDE storage (but no Raid/SCSI necessary), lots of Ram, 3 available 5,25" external bays, and the some.

You can not be beat a day in hardware industry.Intel have 95% of the market now 70% next year 55% ......15%.

As we speak, he is assembling his 1.8 Ghz P4 on i845 + Sdram. Can you believe that ?

The fault to who intel or most of us.How much here dont like RAMBUS.6 month ago near the half of the community was again the price tag of RDRAM.Even if this is maybe the last INC that really do R&D in memory.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
agreed even if you do the best CPU in the world in your action go down that have no value.