Symptoms of a cracked core??

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Chip
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2001 8:21:25 PM

Hi haveing major trouble with my ecs K7AMA and my athlonc 1.4, basically the system occationally wouldnt boot from cold but when it did everything was fine. Now the system refuses to boot atall, dont even get a video signal, i have rulled out the psu, graphics card and memory by swapping with known good parts. Thiss all started around the time i took a really tiny chip out of the corner of the core..

Are these classic symptoms of a cracked ( now dead ) chip?
i dont know anyone else with an athlon/duron system so i cant rule out the chip or the mobo..

Any info on cracked cores is greatly appreciated, thanks

My other sig is thought provolking and interesting.(And spelt corectly:o )

More about : symptoms cracked core

November 18, 2001 8:43:05 PM

your cpu is dead from a cracked core, fragility that is AMD. send it back, ask for a RMA#

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
November 18, 2001 9:17:33 PM

How tiny is tiny when we are talking about chipped corners?

There is not a lot of free space on an Athlon core that doesn't have cpu in. Anthing bigger than 1/2mm is likely to be trouble.

If the system was problematic before, it may only be a mobo issue. The trouble is to do any further elimination you need to swap mobos/cpus and that risks that chipped core further. If you are not that confident, best have a shop do it for you.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2001 10:15:21 PM

Its just the corner thats chipped, i probably wouldnt have noticed it if it wasnt for the wee dark bit of core stuck to the hs, its a really really really small chip, you can barely see it. I have removed the heatsink a ridiculous number of times both before and after the incident, it was just carelessness :( 

The Mobo is modified for multiplyer adjustment, so theres allways that chance something has gone wrong because of that. I need to get me a friend with an athlon system...

If anyone has had a cracked core, did they experience anything like this?

Oh, what does RMA meen BTW?

My other sig is thought provolking and interesting.(And spelt corectly:o )<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by evolotion on 11/19/01 00:18 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 18, 2001 10:26:06 PM

Forget AMDMeltdown, his skull is cracked, j/k!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 18, 2001 10:27:10 PM

RMA means... umm... send it back and hope u get a free replacment :) 

as you say your mobo is modified so it could easily be both...
i would think though that the chip would refuse to work full stop as soon as the chip occured, not a number of days/weeks later.

and there u have it. carelessness has done it again. could always try the chip on someone elses motherboard. that would give you your answer.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?
November 19, 2001 12:07:21 AM

RMA means return to the manufacturer but since this cpu has no warranty and you broke it physically, odds are no-one will accept it back.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
November 19, 2001 12:48:44 AM

He does have a point though. The old T-birds were a bit more fragile due to the ceramic make of them.

However, a cracked core will kill any CPU, not just an athlon.

The best way to see if the CPU is bad, is to remove the CPU from the system, and see if it reacts the same way as it does with the CPU in it. If it does, you probably have a CPU problem.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet
November 19, 2001 1:05:54 AM

lol, I don't think AMD and Intel designed their CPUs for the enthusiasts who love to play with their hardware but adding and removing it very often. I was just joking.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
November 19, 2001 5:04:08 AM

I don’t look like a gorilla, but I’ve cracked a few cpus like one.

Common symptoms I’ve seen after a core is compromised.

1) A distinct odor. It doesn’t smell like a gorilla more like epoxy and ozone.
2) Inability to dissipate heat. Chip will run hot even with the best cooling.
3) You can intermittently boot the system by applying uneven pressure on the HS/cooling block.

Basically you’ve compromised a chip if you’ve gone past the shiny metal or messed up the glue insulation. A rounded corner or beveled edge should not affect the chip’s ability to dissipate heat. Stereoscopes are awesome for determining a cores status.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2001 1:25:19 PM

cool, il stick it under a microscope tonite, what should i look for??

When there is no processor present in the system then the system acts exactly the same, BUT i would not suspect the processor because i got the same reaction from the system when i accidentally insulated the wrong connection in the processor socket(during the modifications for multiplier support) but i solved this and found a way to implement multiplyer agustment without cutting traces/insulateing or removeing pins etc.. The system has ran fine with these modifications fine for the last few munths. So i have no way of telling which is broken..If it is the cpu i have a great excuse to get an XP :) 

PS i have noticed AMD Meltdown slightly biased opinions in the forums, but hes entitled to his opinion.

November 19, 2001 6:03:53 PM

>Oh, what does RMA meen(sic) BTW?

RMA is Return Merchandise/Material Authorization which is what you really need in your case, why suffer, worry or be denied a working stable system? send it back for a refund or exchange, maybe AMD will give you a AXP PR1900 -300.

PS, I'm not biased :wink: I like Mips, motorola, IBM ppc, Dec and others but AMD? that's like getting a gucci on a street corner!

November 19, 2001 6:24:47 PM

Wow, you really have to throw your weight into it in order to crack a core. What were you doing!

-¤ Shut the f*ck up or go AMD ¤-
November 19, 2001 8:08:29 PM

Quote:

PS, I'm not biased I like Mips, motorola, IBM ppc, Dec and others but AMD? that's like getting a gucci on a street corner!

First of all, that's a downright lie.

How can you say you're not biased but then say you like something? By liking something isn't that saying you're biased towards it?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2001 10:06:03 PM

OK ok ok wish i hadnt started... keep it on topic.. for my sanity PLEASE!

Anyway, just a wee update, just got home from uni an had a good look at the processor, under a microscope :)  The damage is alot worse than i origionaly thought ( maybe because of the heating - cooling cycles) anyway i could see a lot of stuff i really ought not to see, il just need to save up and get me an XP, and just pray that its not my mobo thats skrewed..

If anyone knows what is acceptable and what is not when it comes to what you can see under a microscope please post as i am still unsure if the cpu is actually working or not.

Thanks

November 19, 2001 10:41:11 PM

I’ve cracked 3 cores. Each time there was a compromised area where it was obvious that air or direct access to the core was there. For the most part the core must be sealed. Once power was applied to the chip a small black heat mark was present by the damaged area, as was the distinct smell of burning electronics. I was searching for a way to hook my stereoscope to a camera today so I could upload pictures, but I found no such item.
November 20, 2001 5:23:14 AM

>il just need to save up and get me an XP

dude, did you read my post, I'm giving you good advice :wink: RMA that sucker back home and maybe if you sob enough you'll get a free XP!!! I mean it couldn't be any easier, AMD is dumping 200 XP's every morning on street corners, now thats cheap!

November 20, 2001 8:13:52 AM

Meltdown is right, rma it, they may replace it, nothing to lose.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2001 9:25:55 AM

Cheers AmDmElTdOwN, im gunna do just that, nothing to loose. If anyone is interested i can hook my camera up to my microscope ( i think) if you want pictures??

Just out of curiosity, can you RMA it back to AMD, as my local PC shop is renound for being not very considerate..

!