Desperately need help choosing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm looking for a good gaming laptop on a budget here. Been doing my research and these two are about the best value for money that I can find. Really would appreciate opinions on what people think is the best option.

My budget is £400, so the £450 is JUST about stretchable with the £500 rather out of reach but a minor possibility if I can justify it to myself. Im well aware that the 3d is something of a gimmik, but I dont know whether or not Ill need that extra hard drive space or RAM on the 5553g, is that extra 2GB REALLY worth it?

Choice 1: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5745DG_3D_Screen__3D_Glasse_1005709.html

Choice 2: http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5553G_Windows_7_Laptop_LX.PUB02.245/version.asp?refsource=adfroogle

Just in their specs Ive done graphics card research etc but still kind of struggling making the choice.

Many thanks in advance,

TQ.

Hello TQSplinter;

Besides the extra 2GB of RAM the 5553G has 2 extra cores on the CPU. But they're slow cores @ 2.1Ghz

In overall gaming performance I'd say both are very close in performance.
A slight edge in some games to the 5553G with the HD 5650 and quad core CPU.
It's probably worth the extra £50, but it wouldn't be a huge jump up in performance over the £450 Aspire 5745DG.
Aspire 5745DG will have an edge in battery life if that's of interest to you.

G

Thankyou WR2, It's along the same kind of thoughts I was having (although mine are slightly less informed.)

I wasnt overly sure about the £50 price jump because I was thinking a minor improvement in graphics quality with the 5553g (seeing as the 5553g has a slightly worse graphics card but better processors clocked at a slower speed.) or a better battery life and thus increased portability in the 5745DG. (Plus the idea of a 3d laptop is rather attractive.)

Im already used to having all my games on lowest settings already (Acer 5920G /w 8600M Nvidia card.) and Im used to a 210GB hard drive, so a 320GB for me is a nice step up with a bit more room. A RAM upgrade in the future is a possibility, but for the moment I think I should be happy with just the 4GB. (Again, current laptop is only running 2GB RAM.)

More comments are still welcome as I like to be as well informed as I can. :)

Many thanks, TQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.