Laptops vs notebooks vs netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterkarl

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hello,I am trying to decide what to buy Laptop vs notebook. I like the notebook size. I have been offered internet for 1 year for 14.95 but it would cost me additional monies to hook up wireless if it is notebook. If I buy lap top than the cost will be the 14.95 for internet. What are the differences? Please help me
my funds are limited monthly and I can't spend more than 4ooish for computer bjj

well, one thing I'd like to point out afaik there's no difference between laptop and notebook
there's a significant difference between the latter 2 and a nEtbook.
Netbooks are typically significantly smaller than laptops, but lack certain features like, fullsize keyboard, cd-rom, etc.

Regarding the internet, unless you are being offered a deal on broadband for one year, you should be able to get the same internet for a netbook as for the laptop.

I think you need to identify your needs, think about which features you want and don't want in a computer and then fill out the following questions:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

then you'll be able to get some more directed help as to which one you should buy

Leopardson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010

I would not recommend going with the offer. The "Internet" for 14.95 a year is almost fast enough to load very basic pages. With the java/flash loaded pages we have today, you might not even be able to check your own e-mail in a reasonable amount of time.

Generally, I find that Netbooks and Notebooks have the most gimmicks that aren't really helpful, and are often hurtful. Of course, laptops have them too (Avoid the ones that boast a huge processor or a huge hard drive. They almost always, if not always, sacrifice a decent graphics chip to get there.). But not nearly as much as a netbook or a notebook, in my experience.

Now, a netbook and notebook aren't all gimmicks. A notebook is a good choice if you want something with a lot of battery life. A netbook is a great choice if you want something light you can easily carry around the house and sit however you want.

Also, I have a few netbooks and they are some of the toughest laptops I have ever had. Perhaps it is luck or perhaps it is density.
One time, I balanced a netbook of mine on a plugged-in toaster. The netbook and the toaster fell into a bowl of fruit punch. It was a ridiculous and hilarious death of a laptop.
Or, it would have been, but the netbook dried out and worked fine.

But, in my opinion, a laptop's speed outweighs it's slight bulkiness and fragile structure (Note the flimsiness of the monitors). A laptop, to be sold, must have a faster processor and a better graphics chip than a netbook or notebook, because otherwise, it's bulky, flimsy and bare-bones software.

People, Antizig is correct. "Laptop" is simply an older term for "notebook". Older people (me, for instance :)) who have been around computers for a long time (since 1977) tend to use "laptop" to describe what you would call a "notebook".

Netbooks are different. In many ways, a netbook is a toy "laptop" or "notebook" (take your pick).

A netbook makes an excellent, inexpensive secondary computer for travel, portability, or basic computing tasks. It makes a poor primary computer if you do need more than a basic computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.