What's more dangerous?

This week's session went pretty well. Party is moving slowly through
some inhospitable mountains, and making good time.

I had some encounters set up:

- 2 Black Bears (a bit too easy, next time I'll use a single Brown Bear)

- A mining camp with miners (strong men, Str 16, armed with pickaxes,
but otherwise normal level 1 commoners, 6 of them).

- A patrol of Orcs (4 level 1 Warriors with a level 3 Barbarian as a
Sergeant)

After fighting the bears, and bypassing the mining camp (smart move),
the Barbarian spotted an eagle's nest on a ledge. As the cleric needed
an eagle's claw for his new divine focus (his old one, a tattoo hidden
with a Hidden Symbol[1] spell was about to run out), the Barbarian
offered to climb up and kill the eagle.

The eagle decided to fight for her nest. 3 claw rakes and a beak bite
later, the Barbarian had 8 hp damage and the eagle was dead, and he
had barely managed to hold on the ledge to keep from falling down
(passed his Climb check by 1).

Then the Orcs hit them two days later. After a tough battle that took
our Basiran Dancer to negative hitpoints, the Barbarian only had 8 hp
damage, despite going toe-to-toe with the Orc Sergeant.

Now, what is more dangerous? An eagle (CR1) or a level 3 Barbarian
(notionally CR3)? It seems the eagle won this contest...

There was much hilarity after the fight was done, of course.

Mart

[1] Hidden Symbol is a new Cleric spell from KenzerCo's Stealth and
Style sourcebook. Basically a Cleric gets to use a tattoo of his god's
symbol as a divine focus. The tattoo hides after the spell is cast and
can be activated as a divine focus for a number of months equal to the
Cleric's level. A Cleric can have only one tattoo though, and it
disappears after it runs out.

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.
5 answers Last reply
More about what dangerous

    Mart van de Wege wrote:

    > Now, what is more dangerous? An eagle (CR1) or a level 3 Barbarian
    > (notionally CR3)? It seems the eagle won this contest...

    Well, bear in mind that the eagle had the benefit of attacking a flat
    footed opponant, since he as climbing.

    But the orcs are hands down more dangeruos. if he had acully hit once
    or twice for decent dmage the dead barbarien would attest to that.

    Mart van de Wege wrote:
    > Maybe it was one of those 'you should have been there' moments.

    It's a running gag with us. The PC with the best AC is the one that
    always gets nailed for the most damage; somehow, they always seem to
    miss the wizard or sorceror.

    And you can pretty much expect the toughest "boss" monster to die
    quickly to an unseemly number of sequential crits* :)

    Back in 1E, we expected a tough fight in our first encounter with a
    Bulette. It missed in its first leaping attack. I rolled a natural 20,
    came up with triple damage and did 45 HP in the first hit, and we
    quickly took out the remaining 3 HP)

    *(or a failed save - heh, I remember a 2E game when we were low level
    characters who stumbled upon a dragon by accident. We were pretty much
    expecting a TPK. I cast my best spell - stinking cloud. The DM looks
    up the chart, says, "This dragon will only fail on a 1". Rolls in the
    open, and of course it comes up a 1. The momentary incapacity was
    enough for us to gain the advantage and kill it)

    "Anivair" <anivair@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Mart van de Wege wrote:
    >
    >> Now, what is more dangerous? An eagle (CR1) or a level 3 Barbarian
    >> (notionally CR3)? It seems the eagle won this contest...
    >
    > Well, bear in mind that the eagle had the benefit of attacking a
    > flat
    > footed opponant, since he as climbing.
    >
    > But the orcs are hands down more dangeruos. if he had acully hit
    > once
    > or twice for decent dmage the dead barbarien would attest to that.

    Well I'd say that Eagle got lucky. The level 3 Barbarian should have
    a greater chance of killing the eagle on any given day. Bad rolls or
    good rolls
    in the eagles favor probably made the difference in this encounter.

    "Anivair" <anivair@gmail.com> writes:

    > Mart van de Wege wrote:
    >
    >> Now, what is more dangerous? An eagle (CR1) or a level 3 Barbarian
    >> (notionally CR3)? It seems the eagle won this contest...
    >
    > Well, bear in mind that the eagle had the benefit of attacking a flat
    > footed opponant, since he as climbing.
    >
    > But the orcs are hands down more dangeruos. if he had acully hit once
    > or twice for decent dmage the dead barbarien would attest to that.

    <grin>

    Neither the Orc Barbarian nor the PC Barbarian did each other a lot of
    harm. The Orc was killed by the flankers. Both I and the player had an
    appalling run of low dice in that combat.

    The fun part was more in the fact that due to that bad luck that poor
    eagle turned out to do as much damage as an Orc Barbarian. It just
    struck us as highly hilarious.

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com writes:

    > Mart van de Wege wrote:
    >> Maybe it was one of those 'you should have been there' moments.
    >
    > It's a running gag with us. The PC with the best AC is the one that
    > always gets nailed for the most damage; somehow, they always seem to
    > miss the wizard or sorceror.

    Heh.

    The running gag in my sessions is that my players always seem to
    manage to bring the enemy to exactly 0 HP.

    - "I hit and do 12 HP damage."
    - "Hmm."
    - "Let me guess, he is staggering?"
    - "Yup, zero HP again. Defiantly he strikes out just before going
    down."

    Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Video Games