Microsoft Cutting up to 5,000 Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Intel's laying off more people than Microsoft. If AMD lays off an tiny number of people, Tom's is all over it, I wonder when we might see a piece about Intel's new layoffs...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
R&D, Marketing, Sales, Finance, LCA, HR, and IT... I was under the assumption most of those jobs (minus R&D) were outsourced to various contractors anyway. It surprises me that Microsoft has 5000 employees in those fields, my guess is a lot of developers in the R&D field are going bye-bye. Sure, MS will cutback spending on the other areas, but for them, that probably doesn't involve reducing head-count. Not unless they classify contracted employees differently than any company I've ever worked for.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's only just beginning of the downslide for Microsoft. So what are the "Key Investment" areas? Hire more low wage employees from India? Spend more money outside of the US? Bribe Steve Jobs to stop thinking?

The ONLY good news about this it that as Microsoft continue to fail and fall below expectations in just about everything they do, the guy holding the bag (Steve Ballmer) will eventually be asked to resign. Maybe then, and only then, will Microsoft actually start to innovate rather than copy and duplicate -- the KMart of software.

Maybe the OS should just go back to being command line only, who needs a GUI, right? Didn't some loopy brain idiot post a comment about Aero Glass being too demanding and wanted to get rid of it and animations and hell why not just black and white and one step back, command line only, there ya go -- progress!!! Ugh!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
yeah, how i came never see it here in tom's.
i heard somewhere that intel is closing some branches in asia.

[citation][nom]IntelAnybody[/nom]Intel's laying off more people than Microsoft. If AMD lays off an tiny number of people, Tom's is all over it, I wonder when we might see a piece about Intel's new layoffs...[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.