please help

i'm so frustrated with this problem...
my comp. keeps freezing when i play "tom clancy's ghost recon", "myth 3", douclick on icons to access folders in c drive, and recently froze while i was editing my essay in MS Word. When the comp froze while i was using Word, i saw ver small green line on top of the screen like this:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
i've seen those before when the comp froze
someone said that it may be HD's problem and i scandisked and defragged, said everything was fine.

1.333GHz t-bird [c] not oc'ed (due to these freezings)
iwill kk266plus w/ latest bios
pc-150 256MB corsair
20GB ibm 60GXP (partitioned to two drives 50/50)
ati radeon LE (Hyper-Z enable and oc'ed to 166)
Gamesurround Fortissimo II
NIC 3con 3c905txm
toshiba dvd-rom
11 answers Last reply
More about please help
  1. I had the same problem. I was using an ati All-in-Wonder Radeon w/VIA chipset. Turned out the problem was "compatibility issues" between the Radeon and the VIA chipset. Solution: download newest 4in1 chipset drivers and newest vid card drivers. Hope this helps...

Unngahhh! Fire good-blue screen bad
  2. Clock your Radeon to it's factory settings, and try again, I've gotten the green lines on the top when going too far.
  3. What's your heatsinkfan for the CPU?
    And make sure air flow through casing is adequate.
    Make sure your power supply good enough too.
  4. Lies, we all know AMD has NO comaptability issues.

Yep, good old customer satisfaction testimonial, I love it.

Go buy another, maybe the next one wont lock up as much.

GL
  5. AMD does not.

Via does.

If you are going to bitch, at least get the root of the problem straight.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:
  6. Had same problem on my VIA/P2 computer with an ati rage video card. I updated VIA and ATI drivers and it fixed the problem.
  7. VIA has alot of problems though, but most of them are fixable with drivers.

-¤ Shut the f*ck up or go AMD ¤-
  8. i have the latest everything (at least as far as i know, via 4.35 and ati 7189)

i have 300W PSU, the one that came with enlight 7327

btw, my c drive indicates more free space and less stuff i got, about a gig off. mind you that my HD is partitioned 50/50

my cpu is cool....mbm reads it about 45oC/108oF
    i have volcano6 cu+

i'm gonna try lowering my vid card again
  9. I find it funny, whenever people are complaining about their amd systems, people always ask about the fan. Shouldn't a standard fan be enough if you aren't overclocking? Otherwise these chips might have serious heat problems!

AMD = Anger Management Disorder
  10. A standard fan is enough!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
  11. ::hears the call::

When not overclocking the standard retail fan is PERFECTLY sufficient, its quiet and will cool the chip adequatly.

::rides off into the sunset::

heatsink maaaaaaan.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
    No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs