AMD XP 1700+ and Palamino

G

I was looking at Pricewatch.com's prices and in the descriptions I see Palamino and I recall something about overheating. Should I buy one with Palamino or do they all have Palamino, but the descriptions lack in factual info (some say more about the processor and some say less)?
Is there an actual difference between these ideas? Some descriptions will say "with Quantum(can't place the real word) Architecture" while others do not.
By the way, in reguards to last post I have selected a motherboard: AsusTek A7V266-E Raid Socket A with Via KT266A chipset at $168. http://www.tufshop.com/store/product1578.html
Thanks to all the help.

dazed and confused

<font color=green>H</font color=green><font color=blue>ep</font color=blue><font color=green>T</font color=green><font color=blue>udor</font color=blue> :cool:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
As long as you run your system with a Heatsink on your CPU, you realy won't have to worry about overheating.

The Palamino core is the Athlon XP. They are one and the same, and actualy produce less heat than the older t-birds.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

G

>Quantum(can't place the real word) Architecture

Thats QuantiSpeed you'r talking about. hehe. I liked he Inquirer's italo/english translation: "How fast is it really?"
Drone, quantispeed is just a marketing term.. its not a feature.. much like intels "NetBurst". Netburst means, it runs faster, but executes slower. QuantiSpeed means it runs slower, but executes faster.. Just a term to indicate an Athlon performs (much) faster than a P4 running the same clockspeed. As you may know, a 1.6 Ghz Athlon XP is roughly the eqiuvalent of 2 Ghz P4. I'd even say its quite a bit faster, but read the reviews, and decide for yourself. The intel terms refers to the fact P4 can be clocked higher.
Because of this difference, AMD now labels its cpu's with a model number. THe 1.6Ghz is sold as XP1900+. The 1900 referring to a 1900 P4 or 1900 Tbird (old athlon) depending who you want to believe. Either way, its generally accepted these ratings are very conservative. 2000+ or even 2100+ would be closer to the truth if they are compared to P4's.

As for Palomino (athlon XP) feautues: its faster than an normal athlon, thanks to:
- hardware prefetch
- SSE support
Every Athlon XP (=Palomino) supports these.

>I recall something about overheating

Okay, here is the deal: The AThlon XP has a built in thermal diode that enables motherboards to shut it down b4 it overheats. The old Athlons dont have this diode. Now, the thing is, no current motherboard currently supports this new diode properly. Is that a problem ? not really, since they all have a sensor on the board that allows you to monitor cpu temps. Most will allow you to shut down the board if the temperature rises above a certain treshold. If not, software can do it for you to protect you from a failing fan. These systems are not fast enough to protect a computer running without even a heatsink attached. They will go in up smoke if you turn them on without hsf.

But, if you are stupid enough to power on a computer without a heatsink attached, well.. just buy an iMac (j/k).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Good info bb, however amd themselves state that the pr ratings is in comparison to the tbird, so regardless of what people surmise, the fact is what amd states it is, nothing more, nothing less.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!