Athlon 1700XP being reported as only 1.10Ghz?!

G

Finally got my new system together, running nicely... but Windows XP, SiSoft Sandra and 3dMark2001 are ALL reporting that the CPU is only clocked at 1.10Ghz... I haven't changed anything in the BIOS etc.

Is this natural (ie: the programs haven't been updated to detect higher GHz?) or should I be sending the little ole CPU back or have I missed something in setup?

P.S.
In case it helps, system is:
AMD Althon 1700XP (der)
MSI K7T266PRO2 M/B
512MB DDR SDRAM
Geforce256 DDR

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
It sounds to me like your FSB is set for 100MHz; it probably needs to be set for 133MHz.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

G

Ah-ha! This has fixed it, I now get the expected 1.47Ghz... and man is this machine burning along!!

Thanks!

Naive Question #2 - will changing the FSB actually make the PC run faster or does it just 'report' that it's clocked higher?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Yes, it will make the PC run faster. It may be possible for you to take the FSB above 133MHz, but cranking it up too high will make the system unstable. The CPU, RAM, and expansion cards all have to be able to handle the higher FSB speed for the system to remain stable. Such is the wonderful world of overclocking. :wink:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

G

Yeah, but if he thought 1.1 Ghz was fast, I guess he doesnt need the extra performance.. why overclock then ? Especially as he is probably not too knowledgeable.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

G

Unknowledgable ey???

WELL, 1.1Ghz *WAS* fast in comparison to my previous system: PIII 600 with 128MB RAM... ;)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Yep, another problem solved by the crack staff at THGF. And another satisfied computer user.

Hey kelledin, check out the "list", spuds up to his usual crap again.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!