Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will i be able to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to 7 home premium?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2009 3:39:50 AM

No, That would be a down grade=fresh install.
Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate=inplace upgrade.

If you purchased other than an Ultimate upgrade you can do a fresh install and surrender your Ultimate Activation Key when installing W7 Home Premimum. You will have to save and transfer all your files.

If you have Vista Ultimate the easiest upgrade would be W7 Ultimate...but $219.00?
Score
August 11, 2009 3:48:40 AM

crap i already preordered the home premium upgrade... am i screwed?
Score
Related resources
August 11, 2009 4:24:26 AM

You can cancel the Home Premimum and order the Ultimate upgrade for $219.00
Score
August 11, 2009 4:39:19 AM

arg i don't want to pay that much :\

why can't i use the home premium to go from vista ultimate to 7 home premium it doesn't make sense
Score
August 11, 2009 4:54:21 AM

it's for money making purposes....
Score
August 11, 2009 4:56:33 AM

:(  i thought i was stealing win 7 with the 50 dollar preorder
Score
August 11, 2009 7:44:22 AM

habitat87 said:
LOL! That's cute, that really was.

Well, anything is better than Vista so I dont think that was a bad move. Sure the ultimate version probably has a lot more stuff but nothing your really going want to pay more than you think you should.

yea but they're saying i can't use the win 7 home premium upgrade to go from Vista Ultimate to Win 7 Home premium
Score
August 11, 2009 2:39:03 PM

Mmm, I'm not sure either, but I think it depends on your definition of "upgrade".

Based on this chart, you can technically upgrade, but it will completely wipe your current installation when doing so. This mean you have to backup your stuff.
Score
August 11, 2009 2:48:24 PM

Hi...sorry to jump in this thread but this made me think of something. The RC I am using is Win 7 ultimate (I did not see any other versions of the RC). Since I have a licensed copy of Vista I am eligible for the upgrade DVD. But since I can't do an in place upgrade from Ultimate to Premium I have to a clean install. Can I do a clean install from the upgrade DVD?

Does it matter that my Vista is an OEM?

Score
August 11, 2009 2:53:42 PM

From what I understand, but I'm still not sure, you can upgrade from OEM (all Vista sold with new PC like Dell are OEM and you get free Win 7 upgrade so ...). For the clean install thing, nobody was able to confirm or not, you might have to re-install your Vista than install Win 7 over it unless the same "trick" used for Vista can be used for Win 7 (for Vista upgrades, you had to install Vista without license (trial version or something), then upgrade Vista to itself).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2009 2:58:21 PM

2real said:
I've searched all over the internet and I've heard yes and no.
This is driving me nuts :pt1cable: 

You can absolutely install the Win 7 Home Premium you bought on sale. You just can't do an "In-Place" upgrade (this is where you start the install from inside Vista as it's running). You can either do a completely clean install, or you can install Win 7 over Vista. If you install Win 7 over Vista, your existing data will be found in a WINDOWS_OLD folder which Win 7 will create for it. You will have to reinstall your programs in either case.

Personally - When my SSD gets here (out of stock until the end of the month), I'll be doing a clean install to the new drive and then inporting my data.
Score
August 11, 2009 7:52:36 PM

Zenthar said:
Mmm, I'm not sure either, but I think it depends on your definition of "upgrade".
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/lifehacker/2009/08/win7-upgrade-chart-1.jpg
Based on this chart, you can technically upgrade, but it will completely wipe your current installation when doing so. This mean you have to backup your stuff.

my definition of upgrade was to use the upgrade disk to install a fresh copy of windows 7
Score
August 11, 2009 9:01:17 PM

habitat87 said:
My only question is really, does Windows 7 fix the problem of being compatible with most things? Or is it the same bs as Vista?

have you tried the RC?
it's 10x better than vista
Score
August 11, 2009 9:11:36 PM

habitat87 said:
I realized overall it was better, I used an early version. Quite impressed and I'm sure it's gotten a lot better but didn't really check compatibility and I don't think you could with it being the early version of it.

well i just swapped out motherboards, cpus, and ram and win 7 started up without and problem (no driver issues, etc)
the only problem i have had so far has been drivers but they're starting to come around and most driver problems were solved by running it in compatibility mode for vista
Score
August 11, 2009 11:11:05 PM

I wouldn't expect Win7 to be much more compatible with legacy software than Vista is except, perhaps, if using the "XP mode" for which you need the Business or Ultimate versions.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2010 8:10:50 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!