Gigabit Adapter Help

foolman555

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi, im looking to get a gigabit ethernet adapter for my minecraft server that is quite big now. It used to run off the motherboard but now since its quite big i thought if i should get a good card. I was wondering if you could help me with one?
It has to be a pci card and compatible with windows 8 *if your not sure ill just ask the people where ill buy it from*
Price range $0-$100
I would like to keep it as a budget as it would be coming from donations :)

Thanks

pauls3743

Distinguished
Unless the server's in a datacenter I wouldn't worry about it too much as you'll still be restricted by your ISP's upload speed, which usually is not very good.

But, if you're adamant you want a another card for the sake of it, I would look at the Intel desktop cards. These are basically cutdown versions of the server cards. Some motherboards have intel adapters onboard so I would check what you have first.

Are you sure you need a gigabit adapter? If anything, it might be that you need more RAM and or CPU power to host all the minecraft sessions.

What is your current ISP's upload and download speeds? A gigabit adapter probably won't do much for you if you have less than a 100Megabit connection.

foolman555

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

ive got 16gbs 1600mhz ram and a 3.6ghz processor also a 60gb ssd to run the server off