Inspiron 4100 Battery Light Flash Sequence

If this is in the documentation I haven't found it..............

The battery light on my Inspiron 4100 (I'm talkin' the charge light on the
system itself - not the LEDs on the actual battery) is flashing with the
following sequence:
Orange (short)
Orange (short)
Orange (short)
Green (Long)

Although the system will run on the battery, it doesn't have much life in
it - it's a few years old. XP reports the battery as "97% and charging".

What does this mean?

Is that sequence code for "YOUR BATTERY IS HOSED!"? :-)

Thanks.

Jim
2 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 4100 battery light flash sequence

    remove the battery and press the test light button. you will probably find
    that only the first, third, and fifth led lights up, indicating that the
    battery is defective. batteries do not last forever and having had a few
    years use out of it sounds like it had a good run. also, regarding the
    error code indicated by the battery light on the laptop itself (not the
    battery itself) this is what the dell documentation says:
    "If the battery status light flashes orange or is a steady orange, the
    battery charge is low or depleted. Connect the computer to an electrical
    outlet.If the battery status light flashes green and orange, the battery is
    too hot to charge. Turn off the computer, disconnect the computer from the
    electrical outlet, and then let the battery and computer cool to room
    temperature.If the battery status light rapidly flashes orange, the battery
    may be defective. See "Contacting Dell" in the Dell Solutions Guide."

    "Jim Haselmaier" <jim@acceleratedinsight.com> wrote in message
    > If this is in the documentation I haven't found it..............
    >
    > The battery light on my Inspiron 4100 (I'm talkin' the charge light on the
    > system itself - not the LEDs on the actual battery) is flashing with the
    > following sequence:
    > Orange (short)
    > Orange (short)
    > Orange (short)
    > Green (Long)
    >
    > Although the system will run on the battery, it doesn't have much life in
    > it - it's a few years old. XP reports the battery as "97% and charging".
    >
    > What does this mean?
    >
    > Is that sequence code for "YOUR BATTERY IS HOSED!"? :-)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jim

    Correctamundo! Battery LEDs 1/3/5 light up.

    Thanks.

    Jim

Dell Battery Light Inspiron Computers