G

My MB is Abit BH6, V1.1, Bios upgrade to SP. My CPU is Celeron 333 overclocked to 475. I want to upgrade the CPU.
The SP bios upgrade says I can use a Celeron 700mhz or a Pentium III 850mhz. The FSB is 100mhz, the chipset is Intel 440BX, and the MB is a Slot 1.

In Tom's PC Upgrade Guide,he upgrades to PIII, 800mhz, 133 FSB with the MB Abit AB-BX6, Intel Chipset 440BX.

1. Can I make the same upgrade with my Abit BH6 or should I use the PIII, 850mhz, 100mhz FSB, Slot 1 cpu?
2. I may have difficulty in getting the Slot 1 cpu. Would there be any problems in using a 370 to Slot 1 adaptor card?
3. What cooler would I use in the Slot 1 configuration?

For my use, the only other component I'm changing is the modem from software based to hardware.

Sal Liggieri
sligg@hotmail.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1. Your BH6 can support a 133MHz FSB. I recommend the PIII 700@933, since it's so much cheaper than the 933 and overclocks to 933 so easily. You can use a Slotket. In fact I recommend it. The one I recommend is the Abit Slotket III. I also recommend the Evercool ND8 cooler from <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com" target="_new">http://www.nexfan.com</A>, do to it's slightly lower height.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Kenneth, You ask what frequency. I don't know what you mean. Can you elaborate.

I use the computer for web searching, email, word, excel. I never play games but sometimes listen to a music file.

If I can choose between a 700 @100 FSB or 700 @ 133 FSB which way would I go. The 100 FSB is a slot 1 and I wouldn't need a Slotket. I assume both chips can be overclocked to 933mhz. Will this 933mhz be okay even if Abit says you can only go to a PIII, 850mhz, 100FSB maximum?

Sal Liggieri
sligg@hotmail.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Rick knows his stuff. Your motherboard supports ALL coppermine processors at ALL available bus speeds.
The 700 overclocks to 933 by raising the bus speed from 100 to 133. The multiplier is locked. 7x100=700, 7x133.333=933.
The closest 133MHz FSB processor is the 733. To get that to 933 would require a bus speed of 169.63. The highest bus speed available on your motherboard is probably 150MHz, and even that would be too high for other components in the system. So overclocking a reasonable amount requires you start with a 100MHz FSB processor.
YOu don't NEED to overclock, you could just buy a 933 in the first place, but it will cost you about 40% more. Or you could buy the fastest 1GHz PIII Coppermine for even more.

I only recommend the 700@933 because it's cheap and easy.

G

Which of the clock settings should I use: 133(1/4)S or
133(1/4)N

Sal Liggieri
sligg@hotmail.com

G

According to the ABIT BH6 manual:
S=Spread spectrum modulation which is used for EMC testing.
N= The frequency does not use the above.

Price Watch.com
P III 700mhz, 100mhz FSB is available in two configurations: slot 1 ($106) and 370 ($114). BH6 is a slot 1 mobo. Which chip should I use for overclocking to 933mhz, the slot 1 or the 370 which woul require a Slotket III?

If I decide not to overclock, which FSB:
P III 1000mhz, 100 FSB ($154) or 133 FSB ($159) 370 pin configuration which would require a Slotket III adaptor.

Sal Liggieri
sligg@hotmail.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
This is a tough question. You need to verify your boards ability to support 1.65v and 1.70v processors in order to use the Slot 1 version, then you can raise it to 1.75v in BIOS to stabilize the overclock.
But some boards only supported 1.80v or above, returning an error for anything below, in which case a Slotket with voltage detection controll (such as the Abit Slotket III) can be used to change the default voltage the 1.80v setting it can recognize.
Normally I recommend the Slotket III to everyone. Iwill, Asus, and MSI make similar products, all are hard to find.

G

The core voltage on BH6 is 1.30 to 2.10 in 0.05 increments, then 2.10 to 2.30 in 0.10 increments.

I can't find the Abit Slocket !!! anywhere on the internet.
I did come across Power Leap PL-iP3 adapter but don't know if it's any good.

For any chip, is the boxed version preferable to OEM?
Is the fan and heat sink Intel supplies good enough?

For the 1000mhz boxed cpu:
Socket 370, 133mhz FSB, the price is $158 (add cost of adapter)

Slot 1, 100mhz FSB, the price is $210

There is a $32 difference.

Which CPU would you suggest, the 100 FSB or the 133 FSB?
Would your suggestion also apply to the 700mhz for overclocking to 933?

Sal Liggieri
sligg@hotmail.com

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The PowerLeap adapters are supposed to be very good. In fact, you can get a PowerLeap adapter and a Celery-1.2GHz (Tualatin core, 100FSB, heatsink, and fan) for $169. I would imagine these would overclock well, but even at 1.2GHz they beat a P4 1.4GHz and have similar scores to an Athlon 1.2GHz in Sandra CPU and Multimedia Benchamarks. Your motherboard is on PowerLeap's "compatible list" for the above package.

For the applications you mentioned earlier, a Tualatin Celery 1.2GHz should outperfrom a Coppermine PIII 1Ghz.

People run the Tualatin cores at 1.4GHz with stock cooling and default vCore, so your overclocking potential is pretty good, considering you are starting at 100FSB (1.4GHz would be 117FSB, which your board should EASILY do).

PowerLeap: <A HREF="http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm" target="_new">http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm</A>

Review: <A HREF="http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/plip3t/" target="_new">http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/plip3t/</A>

- JW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The best bang-for-the-buck in your situation appears to be the Slot 1 PIII 700 overclocked to 933. But if you have the bux for the 1000EB (133FSB), go for it. Whether you use a Slotket or get the Slot 1 version really becomes a matter of whichever is cheaper.
But you may also consider that Powerleap Tualtin Celeron combo for $169, which should overclock fairly easily, but perhaps not to 1600, do to Powerleap's auto-voltage adjustment. You could probably hotwire that thing to make it raise the voltage for extra overclocking.

G

JCLW:

Are you familiar with the Powerleap PL-iP3T/Celeron 1.2ghz.

I powered the adapter but fan it didn't work. Fan connection is on the adapter. I switched fan connection to mobo and it worked. Booted computer but all I got was a black/blank screen.

Sal Liggieri
sligg@hotmail.com

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know you've probably done all this but:

- Is the slocket seated correctly?
- Is the slocket plugged into a working drive power connector?
- Is ?JP1? set for single CPU?
- IS ?JP2? set for 100FSB?

- JW

edit: Is there a power LED on the slocket that comes on?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 12/14/01 08:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
change all for Athlon 1Go+Asus A7V133+256Mo PC133
just for 200$

don't buy intel, it's to more expensive

slot 1 is out of date

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.