problem with comp

G

when i start the computer, it sounds like fizz, and it smells burnt. whats it??

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Probably something fizzed and burned. :tongue:

(pardon the levity)

If you can open this box <i>without voiding a warranty</i>, do so, and see what there is to see. The "fizz" sound is probably something arcing, and the burning smell is probably the arcing part taking some damage. It usually means there's a short somewhere in the system.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

G

which bit Fizzes (wow you sound like one of my customers - "my computers popping") the tower or the monitor - If its the tower - see if the mobo is shorting on the case. This can happen a lot in OEM systems - mass production generates mass mistakes. make sure none of your cards arn't touching any metal. Though if they are you'll be lucky if they are still alive. Like Kelledin said - If you can open the case with out voiding the warrenty do so. You don't want a house fire. If you are allowed reseat the components - If you arn't allowed then ringing an advisor at your hardware vendor should cover this on your warrenty - Ie advisor on phone while taking machine to bits.

<font color=green><b>AMD</b></font color=green> 'cos my computers worth it!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's your power supply. Something is probably wrong with the system, and the power supply being the weekest point couldn't take the extra load.

Just guessing.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?