Sign in with
Your question

RamDisk for Autodesk 3ds Max 2013

Last response: in Windows 7
February 9, 2013 5:37:57 PM

Dear all, can anyone give more details regarding the use of Ram Disks when using 3D software like Autodesk 3ds Max? I have enough knowledge to create a RAM Disk but how can it be used for 3ds Max? Thanks in advance.
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2013 6:03:54 PM

Well, if the software has a disk scratch directory you could always put that on a ram disk.

BUT - I can't answer for Autodesk, but I've read a bit about memory and scratch space usage in Photoshop. Photoshop does use a scratch area when it doesn't have enough memory, and they do recommend putting this on an SSD. But NOT putting it on a RAM disk, because if you leave the RAM free then Photoshop can use it as memory and won't need to use as much scratch space.

So it's more likely that you should not create a RAM disk and just let the software use a lot of memory directly. That's a good general rule, but maybe someone here knows about Autodesk in specific.
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:51:27 PM

Thanks a lot. Yes, you are right, ideally someone from Autodesk or using the same software and having tried using 3ds Max could give us a detailed answer. I've read somewhere on the net that one can copy the Project folder on the Ram Disk and then at the end of the session copy everything back on the SSD or HDD.

WyomingKnott said:
Well, if the software has a disk scratch directory you could always put that on a ram disk.

BUT - I can't answer for Autodesk, but I've read a bit about memory and scratch space usage in Photoshop. Photoshop does use a scratch area when it doesn't have enough memory, and they do recommend putting this on an SSD. But NOT putting it on a RAM disk, because if you leave the RAM free then Photoshop can use it as memory and won't need to use as much scratch space.

So it's more likely that you should not create a RAM disk and just let the software use a lot of memory directly. That's a good general rule, but maybe someone here knows about Autodesk in specific.

m
l
!