G

I have an Athlon 1.4GHz system. My brother's computer was broken and he didn't know what component wasn't working, so I tried his CPU in my computer. he has a 750MHz Athlon. His didn't work, so that was the problem with his computer, but that's not important. With my heatsink/fan, the heatsink came with a square of thermal compound on the bottom of the heatsink when I bought it that would touch against the chip of the processor. After taking it off, the chip made an indentation in the compound. When putting it back on, I didn't add more compound to the chip or heatsink, so I guess the leftover compound didn't make a good connection when putting the CPU back on. I turned the system on, it worked normally for 5 seconds, then shut off. I took off the heatsink and I smelled a burning smell. Is my CPU fried? Can it fry so easily? I didn't think it would make such a big difference. Putting on a heatsink with leftover thermal compound without adding more will fry the chip in 5 seconds, while just adding more will allow the system to run fine for hours? It just doesn't make sense to me because even without adding more thermal compound, shouldn't the heatsink make good enough contact to run for a while? I would be grateful if someone could shed some light on how easily a CPU is burned and if you even think my CPU is really burned after being turned on for a mere 5 seconds.

G

burning? hmmm

ive installed like 20+ amd processor over the past year
never fried one..
hmmm test ur cpu in his pc?

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
without a doubt your cpu is toast, 2 dead cpus to be exact! now all you have to do is send it back it to AMD.

don't worry thousands of AMD users are in your boat.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
lats just hope your "boat" is sinking..*crosses his fingers*

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh dear. another that doesnt follow instructions.

those thermal pads attach to the cheaper heatsinks are for ONE USE ONLY.
u put it on, then the heat from the cpu melts it into place, supposedly giving good contact.

if you take the HSF off, you have to remove that gunk and use thermal paste. (i reccomend thermal paste anyway. much better than stupid pads.

so YES. your cpu is fried. next time THINK before u do something.
if the pad had a significant cpu die imprint when u removed it... did u think you could fit it back exactly? and what would happen if that wasnt the case?

its all about contact!
when u put it back on i bet it wasnt in the same position. so it was out of place, and quite possibly not in contact with the core AT ALL.

no wonder it fried.

i also believe those phase change compounds only work once anyway, so even if u did manage to fit it back on exactly it would be unlikely to melt and form a second seal.

Why do i feel like the lone sane voice in the mental assylum?

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
LoLz, but anyways..I myself used a one of those HSF's, with the goo already on it, on my 1ghz Tbird and i took it off the cpu to transfer the cpu onto another board (when i upgraded the cpu on my current board) and used the same HSF. And uhmmm..it fried!...just kidding..worked like usual, the temps were the same and speed was just as fast. So whatever happened to your cpu, uhmm, i have no clue; maybe AMDMELTDOWN touched it

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
intel cpu's are "dummy-proof". must not have too much confidence in your own decisions if you have to pay extra money for a product you know you won't screw up because of ignorant actions on your part.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, it is that easy. But it is better than pentium 4 - all you have to do is to connect AGP vga to it (other than Riva TNT M64) -and -KABOOM- no more pentium 4 , no more new graphic board.
I can't find the link ,sorry...

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"intel cpu's are "dummy-proof". must not have too much confidence in your own decisions if you have to pay extra money for a product you know you won't screw up because of ignorant actions on your part."

newsflash: AMD is trying to make all their new cpus "dummy-proof" for all you dumb AMDtoelickers! to bad they're too stupid to pull that off!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Meltdown, they went to your school of heatsink application, and vowed not to let ignorants like you ruin their good name.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
ON topic. I dont think his cpu is fried, he should remove the tim and put heatsink goo on it. Then reseat and try again.

G

It was on Vans hardware.. some obscure article about 3v and 1.5 agp cards on the i845.
Here is the article. Dont get excited. Read the follow up as well.
<A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/october/011029_i845_AGP/011029_i845_AGP.htm" target="_new">Severe Interoperability Problems with Intel Chipsets: How to Fry Your i845 Motherboard</A>

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why didn't you post the follow up? AMDroids love to read initial anti-Intel rumors, here's the
<A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/november/011103_i845_AGP/011103_i845_AGP.htm" target="_new">Follow up</A>

<i>"The only graphics boards on which we have seen a problem with i845 and i850 motherboards are some old SIS based graphic cards, on which the Vref generation signal for 1.5 volt was not properly implemented. It is not due to the SIS graphics chipset, but to a mistake in the board design made by some boards manufacturers, so it doesn't mean one must ban SIS based graphics boards, but only some improper boards manufacturing."</i>

man, if I were'nt here this would be the best breeding grounds from AMDpuppies!

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Yeah, I also noticed that when reading the story a week ago. BIG misleading headline. The guy posts a lot of *bullshit* as if it's factual information without confirming the rumours first. FIRST he posts the story, THEN he makes the reseach. One has the nasty feeling, that had it been a rumour involving AMD, he probably wouldn't have posted it at all.

Furhermore he keeps the headline for weeks, perfectly aware that most people only read the headline. There is NO information on the frontpage that kills the rumour, you have to dig into the update link.

The guy must be seriously hit on the AMD frying issue, to be doing what he's doing.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Of course, there's the <A HREF="http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2001/agp4x_e/" target="_new">real, professional follow-up...</A>

Oops, you just flat can't use a 3.3V AGP2x card there!

This bit is especially interesting:

let's have one more closer look on the graphic boards known or suspected to be concerned by this issue:

Riva TNT2 (Pro, Ultra)
GeForce256 DDR
GeForce2 Pro
GeForce2 Ultra
Oops, a Hercules GeForce2 Pro or an Asus V7700 may or may not fry your precious P4 system, <b>depending on the batch it comes from!</b>

There's no telling what other boards will screw your system...and it may differ even from different batches of the same model. To test this out without risking your parts, you must be armed with a multimeter and the knowledge to use it. I'm sure every average Joe has that, eh? :tongue:

<cheap_shot>
To actually know about all this, people apparently have to listen to someone other than Intel lapdogs--they spend their lives in denial, trying to cover up the deficiencies of Intel platforms. Any other facts you'd like to suppress? :wink:
</cheap_shot>

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
If you read the "real, professional follow-up" you'll find out that this is a problem caused by graphics card manufactures, which is not complying with Intel's AGP specification (3.3V on AGP 4x is illegal, but 1.5V on AGP 1x and AGP 2x is perfectly legal). All REAL AGP 4x should operate on 1.5 V, so if you use a REAL AGP 4x you don't have any problems whatsoever. Both the 845 and 850 chipsets only supports 1.5V.

If the mobo uses the Universal AGP socket you are allowed to physically insert cards at AGP 1x, AGP 2x and AGP 4x. The idea is brilliant because it gives you the option of using an older graphics card as long as it has an operational voltage of 1.5V (I don’t have any idea whether this is common or not). The problem arises when graphic card manufacturers doesn't comply to Intel’s AGP specifications, thus giving the mobo wrong information about the cards characteristics. (Typically letting the mobo believe that it’s a 1.5V when it’s actually a 3.3V)

Naturally you could always blame Intel for having the confidence that other hardware manufacturers were able to do their job just as professionally as Intel.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
True, I just thought I'd rattle Meltdown's cage. Claiming the problem only existed for a few reclusive no-name cards is clearly BS, or at the very least, ill-researched (this is Van Smith's specialty). The non-VansHardware article was posted here a few weeks ago.

Ironically, I might have one of these out-of-spec video cards (an old Hercules GeForce DDR). Hasn't given me grief, but I don't think I'll be cramming it in an i845/i850 board. :wink:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Pardon my ignorance, but why should all graphics card manufacturers take pains to comply with Intel's specs when not all motherboards are Intels? Apparently, the voltage issue doesn't affect AMD chipsets, (or, presumably, pre-845 Intel chipsets) and one can make the obvious assumption that the 3.3V must be cheaper to produce or something, hence their continuing production of such cards after Intel's specification went out. To cop a phrase uttered previously, I bet if AMD made such a decree to video card manufacturers, the Intel-boosters on the board would be poo-pooing their delusions of grandeur and letting loose with the "I-told-you-so's" when the same issue hit their boards.

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
"take pains" ????

Come on, first of all Intel is responsible for the AGP specification; they made it. Secondly, they make some VERY simple rules for the benefit of the end-user, but some sloppy graphic card manufactures don't do their part of the job. I my opinion you can't blame Intel for this, other than having a naive faith in the graphic cards manufactures.

This is a very common problem when dealing with interfaces: Both parts on the interface must of course comply to specifications, otherwise things will never work.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Looks like a LONG list of non compliance, tell me, if it were videocard manufacturers not following the agp spec, how come it only affects certain intel boards? Shouldnt it be an issue for all spec following agp boards?

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
No, the 845 and 850 chipset both supports only 1.5V graphic AGP cards, while most other older chipsets supports both 1.5V and 3.3V (including Intels own famous 440BX chipset). So for the latter it doesn't matter if AGP boards are not follwing the specification, i.e letting the chipset believe it's a 1.5V when it's really a 3.3V. This is why the problem is only seen on mobo's using the 845 and 850 chipsets.

The safe thing should be to go for an AGP 4x card which is always 1.5V, but as "hardtecs4u" state:

<i><font color=red>"some graphic boards clearly sold as "AGP 4x" are definitely non-AGP 4x, scrapping themselves and the respective motherboard when plugged into an i845 or i850 board and moreover shouldn't be named "AGP 4x" at all as they don't master AGP 4x mode!"</font color=red></i>

Difficult to do anything about frivolous graphic card manufactures who can't do a decent job.

I would recommend that Intel either made a positive list of safe AGP cards (REAL AGP 4x) or a black list of cards to avoid. I would also advice people which owns such crap boards to demand an upgrade of the AGP card or a complete new one that adheres to the AGP standard.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>True, I just thought I'd rattle Meltdown's cage.

where you talking out of your a$$ again, kelledin? don't thought, THINK!!!