Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good Laptop For College

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • College
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
June 15, 2011 1:24:56 PM

Hello, I am going to college and currently I have a dell studio laptop but it is 17 inches and is way too big and heavy to carry around with me. I want to get a mac because I like making movies, editing photos, and mixing music. I was wondering if getting a mac would be a good fit or if there is a PC that would be just as good. Currently for video editing I use Power Director and I really enjoy using that for video editing but it is not compatible on macs. So I am looking for a computer that is smaller and is great for all the editing type of things and is no more expensive than 1300 dollars.
Thanks

More about : good laptop college

Best solution

a c 572 D Laptop
June 15, 2011 4:49:54 PM

Hello speedylegs;

Macs & PCs use mostly the same hardware these days.
I'm guessing you're using the 13" MacBook Pro as your $1300 baseline?
Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz Sandy Bridge CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB 5400-rpm HDD, slot load DVD burner, 13.3" 1280x800 LCD w/ Intel HD 3000 graphics. 4.6 lbs and 7+hrs battery run time.
alternate CPU: Core i7-2620M 2.7Ghz dual core Sandy Bridge CPU.
Apple MacBook Pro 13-inch (2011) Review
Share
a c 572 D Laptop
June 15, 2011 5:15:07 PM

Correction to above - the standard HDD is 320GB 5400rpm.

A suggestion:
Toshiba Tecra 14" R840-S8430 notebook $1279
Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz Sandy Bridge CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200-rpm HDD, tray load DVD burner, 13.3" 1366x768 LCD w/ AMD HD 6470M graphics. 4.2 lbs and 7+hrs battery run time.

Toshiba Tecra R840-S8430 review

Some other differences:
MacBook Pro 13 has the new Thunderbolt high speed Firewire replacement. Tecra R840 has USB 3.0
MBP has a glossy (reflective) LCD screen. R840 has a matte (non-reflective) LCD screen. A matte screen can cut down on glare and makes it easier to use outside or in a classroom with difficult lighting conditions.
MBP has a one year warranty. R840 has a 3yr warranty.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 15, 2011 10:46:11 PM

Hardware differences between Mac and PC laptops are certainly minimal these days, however quality is where Macs really get the upper hand. Macs also tend to hold their value very well, and support from Apple is superb.

Check out refurbished options for mac laptops to save some cash. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?...
m
0
l
June 16, 2011 2:22:04 AM

speedylegs said:
I want to get a mac because I like making movies, editing photos, and mixing music.


Can you explain to me this logic? I seriously want to know why people think macs are better for this stuff. The best answer I've gotten is the bundled software is better which I won't deny, but there are better alternatives to those. Not bashing, just legitimately wondering.
m
0
l
June 16, 2011 4:33:24 AM

WR2 said:
Correction to above - the standard HDD is 320GB 5400rpm.

A suggestion:
Toshiba Tecra 14" R840-S8430 notebook $1279
Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz Sandy Bridge CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200-rpm HDD, tray load DVD burner, 13.3" 1366x768 LCD w/ AMD HD 6470M graphics. 4.2 lbs and 7+hrs battery run time.

Toshiba Tecra R840-S8430 review

Some other differences:
MacBook Pro 13 has the new Thunderbolt high speed Firewire replacement. Tecra R840 has USB 3.0
MBP has a glossy (reflective) LCD screen. R840 has a matte (non-reflective) LCD screen. A matte screen can cut down on glare and makes it easier to use outside or in a classroom with difficult lighting conditions.
MBP has a one year warranty. R840 has a 3yr warranty.


he wants to do video editing so i think he would benefit highly from a quad core i7

jgr_bgpc said:
Hardware differences between Mac and PC laptops are certainly minimal these days, however quality is where Macs really get the upper hand. Macs also tend to hold their value very well, and support from Apple is superb.

Check out refurbished options for mac laptops to save some cash. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?...


from what a ece told me was that macs are nessicarily made better is just that they dont have to worry about combatibillity issues. for instance for a pc there cold be 10 different hard drive,ram,lcd, and keyboard manufacturers with 2 more for gpu and cpu. thats roughly 40000 different combinations and a lot of potential for compatibility issues and failures where macs have a vary limited range of parts. how valid that point is, well thats for an individual to decide.
m
0
l
June 26, 2011 2:13:15 AM

Best answer selected by speedylegs.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 26, 2011 4:49:00 AM

if you have a windows disk, or pirate windows then get a sager [clevo]. they are the best bang for the buck. you can get a quadcore i7, gtx460, 4 ram slots, and you can upgrade ever little part for them for a good price. check out the sager np5165 on xoticpc.com, i might be getting it soon
m
0
l
!