Am I still entitled to Dell Tech Support?

I bought a DELL DIMENSION in 1999. The model is a XPS T450. Am I
still entitled to DELL (TELEPHONE) tech support for FREE?

Just wondering....

Thank You

LEESA
12 answers Last reply
More about entitled dell tech support

    "Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >I bought a DELL DIMENSION in 1999. The model is a XPS T450. Am I
    > still entitled to DELL (TELEPHONE) tech support for FREE?
    >
    > Just wondering....
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > LEESA

    Yes. All of their systems had free lifetime phone support at that time. I
    think they changed that policy around 2001 or 2002.

    Stew

    Or ask here. You may get better quality responses in less time... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:20:06 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >"Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    >>I bought a DELL DIMENSION in 1999. The model is a XPS T450. Am I
    >> still entitled to DELL (TELEPHONE) tech support for FREE?
    >>
    >> Just wondering....
    >>
    >> Thank You
    >>
    >> LEESA
    >

    >Yes. All of their systems had free lifetime phone support at that time. I
    >think they changed that policy around 2001 or 2002.
    >

    >Stew

    Why would you even want it???

    > "Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > >I bought a DELL DIMENSION in 1999. The model is a XPS T450. Am I
    > > still entitled to DELL (TELEPHONE) tech support for FREE?
    > >
    > > Just wondering....
    > >
    > > Thank You
    > >
    > > LEESA
    >

    > Yes. All of their systems had free lifetime phone support at that time. I
    > think they changed that policy around 2001 or 2002.
    >

    > Stew

    << Why would you even want it??? >>

    Well.... not all of us are very well informed about computers. I
    know the basics... that's about it.

    Main reason... I cannot burn any CDs any longer.

    ANY burning program I put in... Whether it's NERO, BURN 4 FREE, ROXIO
    etc...

    I keep getting these error messages saying that my ASCI device is not
    ready or cannot find the correct interface.

    When I go into my devices... it lists my CD-RW SONY CRX100E burner
    as working CORRECTLY, and that I do NOT need new drivers.

    Yet.... no burning program all of a sudden will work with my CD-RW.
    The power and indicator light are working fine... so I know it's not a
    power issue.

    This is all new because I was ALWAYS able to burn CDs.

    That's why I was gonna call DELL Tech Support....

    Thank you

    LEESA (I)

    Uninstall all but ONE of the burning programs. Then go into the hardware
    manager and remove the CD-RW drive, reboot and let windows redetect the
    drive. Now try it again.

    --
    Steve Williams

    > << Why would you even want it??? >>
    >
    > Well.... not all of us are very well informed about computers. I
    > know the basics... that's about it.
    >
    > Main reason... I cannot burn any CDs any longer.
    >
    > ANY burning program I put in... Whether it's NERO, BURN 4 FREE, ROXIO
    > etc...
    >
    > I keep getting these error messages saying that my ASCI device is not
    > ready or cannot find the correct interface.
    >
    > When I go into my devices... it lists my CD-RW SONY CRX100E burner
    > as working CORRECTLY, and that I do NOT need new drivers.
    >
    > Yet.... no burning program all of a sudden will work with my CD-RW.
    > The power and indicator light are working fine... so I know it's not a
    > power issue.
    >
    > This is all new because I was ALWAYS able to burn CDs.
    >
    > That's why I was gonna call DELL Tech Support....
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    Some burn programs do not play well together. You should uninstall all but
    one of the burn programs and then make sure the remaining program is
    up-to-date. Have you changed operating systems? If so, is the program
    compatible with your operating system? Many of the older programs were not
    compatible with Windows XP.

    "Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > << Why would you even want it??? >>
    >
    > Well.... not all of us are very well informed about computers. I
    > know the basics... that's about it.
    >
    > Main reason... I cannot burn any CDs any longer.
    >
    > ANY burning program I put in... Whether it's NERO, BURN 4 FREE, ROXIO
    > etc...
    >
    > I keep getting these error messages saying that my ASCI device is not
    > ready or cannot find the correct interface.
    >
    > When I go into my devices... it lists my CD-RW SONY CRX100E burner
    > as working CORRECTLY, and that I do NOT need new drivers.
    >
    > Yet.... no burning program all of a sudden will work with my CD-RW.
    > The power and indicator light are working fine... so I know it's not a
    > power issue.
    >
    > This is all new because I was ALWAYS able to burn CDs.
    >
    > That's why I was gonna call DELL Tech Support....
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > LEESA (I)

    I have a DELL DIMENSION XPS-T450 PIII I still run WINDOWS 98 SE. I
    am only using about a quarter of my HD.

    The computer has been great. I have had no problems with anything
    (even the burning programs) until a short time ago.

    Now... any one I have tried, and yes I have uninstalled them one by
    one... will not "fire up" the burner.

    Thank You

    LEESA (I)

    Yes. Uninstalling and reinstalling the cd burning program should
    resolve your problem.
    From October Dell is moving from free life time tephone support to
    default 1 year telephone support. Extended telephone suport comes with
    extended warranty which can be upto 4 years.

    Tim.
    "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<CGd7d.296$q%7.22@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>...
    > Some burn programs do not play well together. You should uninstall all but
    > one of the burn programs and then make sure the remaining program is
    > up-to-date. Have you changed operating systems? If so, is the program
    > compatible with your operating system? Many of the older programs were not
    > compatible with Windows XP.
    >
    > "Leesa Taylor" <Leesa_Tay@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > << Why would you even want it??? >>
    > >
    > > Well.... not all of us are very well informed about computers. I
    > > know the basics... that's about it.
    > >
    > > Main reason... I cannot burn any CDs any longer.
    > >
    > > ANY burning program I put in... Whether it's NERO, BURN 4 FREE, ROXIO
    > > etc...
    > >
    > > I keep getting these error messages saying that my ASCI device is not
    > > ready or cannot find the correct interface.
    > >
    > > When I go into my devices... it lists my CD-RW SONY CRX100E burner
    > > as working CORRECTLY, and that I do NOT need new drivers.
    > >
    > > Yet.... no burning program all of a sudden will work with my CD-RW.
    > > The power and indicator light are working fine... so I know it's not a
    > > power issue.
    > >
    > > This is all new because I was ALWAYS able to burn CDs.
    > >
    > > That's why I was gonna call DELL Tech Support....
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > LEESA (I)

    You're in the right place in this newsgroup. I doubt that Dell tech Support
    would help, especially if the CD burner was an aftermarket add-on.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 1 Oct 2004 06:51:06 -0700, Leesa_Tay@softhome.net (Leesa Taylor) wrote:

    ><< Why would you even want it??? >>
    >
    >Well.... not all of us are very well informed about computers. I
    >know the basics... that's about it.
    >
    >Main reason... I cannot burn any CDs any longer.
    >
    >ANY burning program I put in... Whether it's NERO, BURN 4 FREE, ROXIO
    >etc...
    >
    >I keep getting these error messages saying that my ASCI device is not
    >ready or cannot find the correct interface.
    >
    >When I go into my devices... it lists my CD-RW SONY CRX100E burner
    >as working CORRECTLY, and that I do NOT need new drivers.
    >
    >Yet.... no burning program all of a sudden will work with my CD-RW.
    >The power and indicator light are working fine... so I know it's not a
    >power issue.
    >
    >This is all new because I was ALWAYS able to burn CDs.
    >
    >That's why I was gonna call DELL Tech Support....
    >
    >Thank you
    >
    >LEESA (I)

    Hi: Thanks for the help. I removed the CD-RW by going into the
    hardware manager and choosing REMOVE. Rebooted... and it was listed
    there again.

    I went to my only BURNING app (DEEPBURNER)... And after I selected my
    files, chose BURN, and again... it said there was an initialization
    problem with the ASCI. Tried this several times = same result.

    Again... the drive opens and closes, there is a little pilot light so
    I know its not a power thing.

    Thanks again

    LEESA (I)

    Leesa,

    Does the CD-RW still read CDs? If so, then the problem is software. If not,
    then it's likely that the drive has failed.

    Some CD-RW software needs to have the latest Windows ASPI driver installed. You
    can download this from the Adaptec web site. Adaptec wrote the initial ASPI
    (Advanced SCSI Programming Interface) spec, and CD-ROMs, CD-RWs, and all DVD
    devices use the ASPI interface under Windows, even if they are the more usual
    ATAPI/IDE hardware interface. I'm not familiar with DEEPBURNER, but it most
    likely uses ASPI.

    If the device shows up in the Windows Device Manager, odds are near 100% that it
    is configured correctly, so there is probably no need to double-check physical
    jumper settings. Likewise, if the device shows up in the motherboard CMOS
    setup, the hardware configuration is OK... Ben Myers

    Leesa Taylor wrote:

    > Hi: Thanks for the help. I removed the CD-RW by going into the
    > hardware manager and choosing REMOVE. Rebooted... and it was listed
    > there again.
    >
    > I went to my only BURNING app (DEEPBURNER)... And after I selected my
    > files, chose BURN, and again... it said there was an initialization
    > problem with the ASCI. Tried this several times = same result.
    >
    > Again... the drive opens and closes, there is a little pilot light so
    > I know its not a power thing.
    >
    > Thanks again
    >
    > LEESA (I)
    I tried deepburner on my Insp2500,it burns coasters very well,use roxio
    or nero,my guess is it a s/w problrm not hardware.

Dell Support Dimension Computers