Arakel

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
Hi people!

I know this will probably be obvious to all of you, but I've only just made my first computer so I could do with some help...we all have to learn sometime, right?

Anyway, my 1900 XP cpu is only clocked at 1200mhz. I've seen an earlier post from someone with a similar problem, and the answer was to change the FSB from 100 to 133mhz.

The issue is.....how do I do this?

Told you I was a newbie!.....Stop laughing at the back!

An idiots guide would be appreciated. Thanks people.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Depends on your motherboard. Some motherboards have DIP switches or jumpers to set FSB speed; others let you set it in the BIOS. What brand/model motherboard do you have?

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I can't find a manual for the EP-8KHA+, but I can find one for the EP-8KHA (which is based on the same or similar PCB). The FSB speed is apparently controlled by a three-pin jumper header that sits between the AGP slot and the orange sound I/O ports. You should be able to change the position of the jumper from covering pins 1-2 to covering pins 2-3. This should set the FSB of the motherboard to 133MHz.

If you have the manual for an EP-8KHA+, you should probably confirm this via the manual you have. It's in section 3.3 (page 3.5) of the EP-8KHA manual.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I have the 8k7a a similar board different chipset though. My jumper is labeled JCLK1 and is approximately 1in or 2.5cm from the AGP slot as Sr Kelledin specified. Close pins 1-2 for 100mhz and pins 2-3 for 133mhz.

Arakel

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
Thanks guys....that did the job nicely. Though I didn't get a user manual with the motherboard - perhaps that might have helped!

Thanks again!

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Sometimes the manufacturer includes a copy of the manual on the CD that comes with the board. This may not be the case, but you may as well check it out! Or, as others may do, check out the manufacturer's web site

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!