Sign in with
Your question

Uh oh... my AMD is bad.. what do I do?

Last response: in CPUs
November 23, 2001 7:00:13 PM

I purchased a retail 1 Ghz AMD Chip this summer. The other day I couldnt get my computer to boot so I tested all the parts and I cannot get my processor to run in any system so I think it has gone bad. It was a retail model so what do I do now? Will AMD replace it? Has anyone had to go through this ??? Please help who do I contact etc...

thanks

Madison Major
ECE University of Illinois
mtmajor@uiuc.edu

More about : amd bad

November 23, 2001 7:53:17 PM

Your vendor will provide info on this, alernatively try <A HREF="http://www.amd.com" target="_new">http://www.amd.com&lt;/A>

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
November 23, 2001 8:01:19 PM

That's most unlikely; an AMD CPU which just stops working without any reason ??? Just like that, unprovoked ???

Come on man, pull yourself together.
Related resources
November 23, 2001 8:09:58 PM

OMFG, casting call for all flamers!

*sheesh*

Yippeekiiaayyy yippeekiioohhh Ghost rabbits in the sky.
November 23, 2001 8:15:28 PM

My thought exactly.

I suspect that as long as the core isn't chipped, there should be no problem returning the thing. Last time I saw something like this happen, a faulty SunPower PSU was to blame. At the time, it was just one of those weeks. =/

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."
November 23, 2001 8:19:23 PM

From looking at the posts since I've been here, it looks like a lot of problems can be attributed to shoddy or insufficient PSU's.

Yippeekiiaayyy yippeekiioohhh Ghost rabbits in the sky.
November 24, 2001 12:27:51 AM

Absolutely true.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.</font color=blue>
November 24, 2001 12:33:35 AM

We must be good guys. We share the same first name.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.</font color=blue>
November 24, 2001 6:56:19 AM

correct.

generally, you dont need a powerful PSU, just a QUALITY one.

ive personally seen an example where a 350W generic PSU cauzed ALOT of serious stability issues. replacement with enermax killed 95% of the problems.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!
November 24, 2001 10:12:09 AM

enermax is god!

FREE POST!

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
November 24, 2001 10:32:13 AM

enermax 550W mmmmm
had to get the best...
now add a swiftech MCX462...

my PC is a work of art

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!
November 24, 2001 11:40:56 AM

lol nobody need a 550W PSU, lol.
you guys are crazy, cut that PSU crap.
a nice 300/350 is anough, althogh if you use alot of colling or your planing to, get a 350/400W PSU, enermax are good thogh expansive.

i for one, bought my 300W psu from a friend which is stripped off an OEM box, it works just fine!

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
November 24, 2001 5:03:17 PM

What all does the warranty cover? I am not sure what happened to the processor because it was not in my care when it messed up. What if it over heated or the fan came unplugged? Does the warranty still cover this?

Thanks

Madison Major
ECE University of Illinois
mtmajor@uiuc.edu
November 24, 2001 9:45:37 PM

Can you play dumb?

defrage is child's play-fdisk
!