Intel to lincense AMD's Hypertransport !!!!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/24110104.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/24110104.htm</A>

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
cool! what will happen with infiniband?

so now we could see a AMD southbridge on a intel chipset!!!

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
so now we could see a AMD southbridge on a intel chipset!!!

Nope, well i want intel's 3gio to replace PCI. Well 3gio can work with PCI2.2 cards. That makes it much easier to move over to next gen.

Nice Nvidia and ATi users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Quite frankly I'd much rather see an Intel chipset on an AMD mobo.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

G

I have to agree there. Intel is definitely the best chipset manufacturer, even if they did screw themselves on the P4. I do think it would have made more since to produce the DDR version of the i845 when the chipset was first announced. As for VIA and AMD, they need more experience in the chipset business. AMD also needs to stop relying on VIA.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
intel did make the best chipsets... untill they got ass rimmed by rambus.
hopefully as some of the roadmaps show rambus will fade from the desktop scene and we will get some quality ddr chipsets.

course the sis 645 looks good, and they are planning a socket A version as well.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

G

Sure.. Most of AMD's names (or codenames) are more than cool:
- Lightening Data (liked that much better than hypertransport)
- SledgeHammer / clawhammer (i'd be these just for the names. too bad they wont be sold as such :-(
- Thunderbird / mustang / Spitfire /

These are much cooler names than intel usual codenames like Willamette, Tualatin, .. etc.
Only "Katmai" had something.. mysterious

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
DDR is still slower that anything from Rambus.With the price tag rising at DDR.For dual channel DDR dont have see it yet.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
DDR is still slower that anything from Rambus.With the price tag rising at DDR.For dual channel DDR dont have see it yet.
Juin, haven't you seen the PC2700 mobos under the P4? They run faster than RDRAM in most cases. I've read the review somewhere. Can anyone support me here and supply the link, I forget where I read it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
The Intel code names are call derived from the names of rivers in America. Until recently AMD's names were all the names of breeds of horses. Palamino, Mustang, Thoroughbred(Enlish Breed, best Race horse ever) etc.

Charlie

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
If you read the article, there is no mention that Intel has actually signed on the dotted line. It mearly suggests that Intel may have to license hypertransport although why is not made clear.

Anyway, 3GIO provide more bandwidth per pin than hypertransport and could quite possibly be used to connect Northbridge to the Southbridge.

Charlie

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
The article hinted that Cisco were 'forcing' Intel into it. Intel are a very large semiconductor manufaturer fot the networking world also, and I suspect this is a network standards interoperability issue.

There is no indication that any of this would result in hypertransport for an Intel chipset/mobo.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details