Quick Draw from someone else's person?

Earlier tonight, the halfling PC (who has the quick draw feat) wanted to
know if she could quick draw flasks of alchemist's fire from the party
wizard if she stood next to him. I allowed it, for the night, but I
didn't know what the actual ruling was, if any.

Any comments?

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:
> Earlier tonight, the halfling PC (who has the quick draw feat) wanted
> know if she could quick draw flasks of alchemist's fire from the
party
> wizard if she stood next to him. I allowed it, for the night, but I
> didn't know what the actual ruling was, if any.
>
> Any comments?

ITYR? :)

>From the SRD:
You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You
can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move
action.

I'd say QD only applies to sheathed weapons and gear that is similiarly
stored as to be quickly available on the person using QD.

If using QD on another person, I'd make it a move equivalent action,
similar to drawing a hidden weapon - the item was not stored so as to
be easily available to another person. (assuming it was in a pouch, so
as to be easily available, as opposed to a carried sack or backpack
which would be much tougher to get to)

Personally, I'd also throw in a Sleight-of-Hand check for successfully
removing the item (the wizard making small move adjustments in a combat
situation) unless the wizard knew about the action and was going to
stand stock-still and take an AC penalty for the round. I'd also throw
in a concentration check to make sure the alchemists fire flask wasn't
dropped.

In a fluid combat situation, it's very dicey to pull something that is
stored on someone else's person.

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:

> Werebat wrote:
>
>>Earlier tonight, the halfling PC (who has the quick draw feat) wanted

>>know if she could quick draw flasks of alchemist's fire from the
>
> party
>
>>wizard if she stood next to him. I allowed it, for the night, but I
>>didn't know what the actual ruling was, if any.
>>
>>Any comments?
>

> ITYR? :)
>
>>From the SRD:
> You can draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action. You
> can draw a hidden weapon (see the Sleight of Hand skill) as a move
> action.
>
> I'd say QD only applies to sheathed weapons and gear that is similiarly
> stored as to be quickly available on the person using QD.
>
> If using QD on another person, I'd make it a move equivalent action,
> similar to drawing a hidden weapon - the item was not stored so as to
> be easily available to another person. (assuming it was in a pouch, so
> as to be easily available, as opposed to a carried sack or backpack
> which would be much tougher to get to)
>
> Personally, I'd also throw in a Sleight-of-Hand check for successfully
> removing the item (the wizard making small move adjustments in a combat
> situation) unless the wizard knew about the action and was going to
> stand stock-still and take an AC penalty for the round. I'd also throw
> in a concentration check to make sure the alchemists fire flask wasn't
> dropped.
>
> In a fluid combat situation, it's very dicey to pull something that is
> stored on someone else's person.

We ended up going with a Sleight of Hand check, DC 15, which the rogue
didn't even need to roll because he SoH check modifier was so high. I
like the idea of making it like "drawing a concealed weapon" though.
After all, the rogue doesn't know EXACTLY where the item is, even if he
is told "it's in my belt pouch!"

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> Earlier tonight, the halfling PC (who has the quick draw feat) wanted to
> know if she could quick draw flasks of alchemist's fire from the party
> wizard if she stood next to him. I allowed it, for the night, but I
> didn't know what the actual ruling was, if any.
>
> Any comments?
>
> - Ron ^*^

Sure, why not? Unless of course the wizard didn't WANT little fingers
in his
pockets, in which case you should treat it as a disarm attack.