New processor?

G

I just bought a new mobo and I don't know what my processor choices are limited to. I know it supports athlon processors, but I don't know if the thunderbird procssor is included. It is a powercolor gameboard mobo with a VIA KX133 chipset. I need help!!

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
A KX-133? Wow, I didn't know they were still making boards with that chipset. The last guy was right, though, you'll have to get the info from your mobo manufacturer.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I tried to link to the Powercolor website to maybe figure it out for you, but the page wouldn't come up. It was one of those "couldn't find the server" messages. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing and they haven't shut down for good or anything.

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
It's a good bet you could go to 1.0/1.1 Ghz depending on how "NEW" your mb is.
My 7 month old Epox 8KTA+ goes to 1.1 Ghz Athlon.
Yes, download the manual if you did'nt get it.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
KX133 chipset and a new board.

I guess it is a new for you because you bought it new, probably old stock in the shop.

Anyway is it slotA or socketA, most KX133 boards I have seen were slotA! And if it is slotA then you are done for! I mean you wont get any slotA processor faster than 950 I guess, and you will have to hunt around. There is no slotA-socketA adapter.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I was going to say the same thing ... is it slot or socket? I bought a KX-133 board almost two years ago for a Slot Athlon. I'd be surprised if it were a socket, in which case you're pretty limited in what processor you can get.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">pricewatch</A> has a slotA 800 MHz Athlon for $57. That might be the best bet!

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>