Tell me something about AMD CPU

raylee011

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I went to AMD website already, but I didn't like the way they explain the CPU. So, can someone please tell me something about AMD CPU, the Duron, Althlon, Althlon TB, Althlon XP. The cacah, FSB, etc. Thank You.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, you can always ask for the free technical CD-ROM or download the manuals.

Here is the summary:
<b>Duron:</b>
Interface: SocketA (462 pin)
Core/Codename: Spitfire (upto 1.0 Ghz), Morgan (1.1 GHz and above)
L1 cache: 128k
L2 cache: 64k
FSB: 200 MHz DDR (Alpha EV6 bus)
- A value processor, subset of the Athlon just like Celeron is to PentiumII/III/4

<b>Athlon:</b>
Interface: SlotA (282 pin SEC) for K7/K75 and some thundirbird versions)
SocketA (462 pin) for rest of the line.
Core/Codename: K7/K75(upto 950 Mhz), Thundirbird (800 MHz to 1.4 GHz), Palomino (1.2 GHz and above)
L2 cache: 256k
Introduced to compete with the Intel P-III
<b>AthlonXP:</b>
Core/Codename: Palomino (1.33 GHz and above, uses model numbering to indicate relative P4 performance)
Competes with P4.

<b>AthlonMP:</b>
Core/Codename: Thundirbird/Palomino
Capable of Dual SMP, AthlonXP is supposed to be MP capable but isnt officially validated for the operation.

Hope its enough.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Summed it up pretty well.

A few sidenotes.

Right now no one buys a duron, the tbird is nearly always cheaper and faster (for sure if you go one speed bin higher like 1250tbird versus 1200duron).
The xp1600 is the best price/performance cpu right now.
Most socket a motherboards with 133/266fsb can support the athlon xp, but all socket a mobos can run duron/tbird.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, but I for one just got a couple of Durons for my new office machines. The 750 MHz chip cost less than half the Tbird 1.1G! The idea was to invest the savings in a better board - I got the Asus A7A266 (but dint get either rev B or C) with PC133 SDRAM (I will OC it to 133 MHz FSB just liek my home machine - 600@800!)

Anyway, I might add that unlike the socket370 platform, socketA is here to stay! The next core Thoroughbred as well as later on Barton will be socketA. Most boards will just need a BIOS update. Thoroughberd in particular that will turn 0.13u will be the most interesting processor since it will run at higehr clock as well as it could be unofficially clocked higher, going by AMD tradition!

girish

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude, let me tell you about AMD cpu's stuff that no one here wants to tell you.

1. AMD cpu run hot, if they don't fry themselves they will usually cause software problems over a period of time and will cause you to buy additional fans, making a very noisy enviroment.

2. AMD has been trying to reduce the fryage(I made new a word!) by going the cheap route and putting 4 little pads on the cpu. now they have the XP PR-/+ 300 you need a special mobo and attachment to keep it from frying.

3. the AMD platform is full of bugs incompatibilities, glitches, errant IRQ's, weekly 4-n-1 driver downloads, bios patches praying, worry, aggravation.

4. to this day I've not heard of a mainboard(retail) that will take advantage of the XP's faux thermal diode.

these points will be debated but, remember this: everytime an AMD user presses the pwr button on their system, they usually say a prayer.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
1) It's a known fact that P4's consume more power than Athlons. Intel fans at [H]ardOCP have admitted that the P4 actually runs hotter than any AMD CPU. Oops. :tongue:

2) No you don't, you just need a decent, $10, AMD-approved HSF (or a retail Athlon) and free health-monitor software.

3) Funny, I installed a 3-in-1 only once, and I never had any of these problems. I even have an SB Live!, and I still have none of these problems.

4) Not all that necessary, though it would be nice to have. See #2.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I'm not going to say anything except that AMDMeltdown is an unrespected member of these forums who is irrational and downright liar. I have found that 99.9% of the time AMDMeltdown lies or says half-truths with a twisted meaning.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
) It's a known fact that P4's consume more power than Athlons. Intel fans at [H]ardOCP have admitted that the P4 actually runs hotter than any AMD CPU. Oops.

I still want a link for that.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
here u go. thermal energy output charts.
<A HREF="http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm" target="_new">http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm</A>

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
We cleared up the whole power consumption issue <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">here</A>. The relevant facts are documented by Intel and AMD and are linked therein.

I already provided <A HREF="http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=246848" target="_new">linkage</A> for you on the [H]ardOCP comments.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hey... did we ever find out what the P4 heat spreader was made out of? was it steel or aluminium?

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Umm, NeGaverse23, since when does AMDMeltdown make any sense? Everything he says is either a lie or complete nonsense.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
copper too soft (for those with an extremly caviler attitude to the p4's indestructability) and probably too costly.
P4's allready cost a ton.

nice idea though.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Poobah, I had compeltely forgot about that discussuion. I heard the heatspreader was steel somewhere, but others heard aluminim, does anyone know for sure?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Amd has its flaws, and so does intel, you will get the about equal performance with both, just that amd is cheeper. i had the same issues about a year ago when i switched from pentium to athlon, the athlon never let me down, as a matter of fact i just got my 2nd athlon , a 1800+ and that thing rocks.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah... thats the thing... soone seems to know...
have u emailed Raystonn yet? he would know.

and i would HOPE it would be aluminium...

and ive been thinking about hammer and such... with tiny 64mm^2 dies, i owuld think that heat spreaders would become manditory (and for the anti moron anti crush feature)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
It's personal experience from P4 owners--people loyal to the Intel brand name. Otherwise, you would have been justified claiming the opinions were skewed in favor of AMD. If they're skewed at all, they're probably skewed in favor of Intel. :tongue:

Kelledin

G

I always thought loyalty was a little !@#$%. I'm in for the best performance there is and still have money in my pocket for other things.... Why would I spend more for an Intel and get lower performance than I could with a faster/cheaper AMD? Now if Intel actually put their PIII engineers back to work and produced a good processor like the PIII was and at a good price, you wouldn't see me going to AMD. AMD/Intel aren't what they used to be back in the k6-2/P2 days. Loyalty to one or the other is complete ignorance.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My own article on the issue - <A HREF="http://www.64bits.org/cpuheat/cpuheat3.htm" target="_new">here</A>.

All data is authentic and obtained from the respective datasheets, which are also linked. P4 is documented to consume 72W, but in reality it could be much more, about 105W. I will find the link for you (probably <A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com" target="_new">http://www.vanshardware.com</A>) that says its about 25% too low than the actual! They say Intel took advantage of superior thermal management built into it, and documented it to be less for two reasons:

1. The competing platform consumes less than half the power, it would be a shame to admit their processor will consume twice as much power and perform about half as much the AMD Athlon!
2. By giving smaller power consumption figures, Heat Sink designers will make smaller and cheaper fans that will make the platform cheaper. they wanted all the people to put money buying P4 rather than the heatsink! And still they will get away with inferior cooling thanks to the better thermal managenet in P4!

Sorry if it looks a troll, but its true! Maybe intel dint intend that but this is how the things stand!!

girish

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the four pads are in the four corners on the CPU - used to prevent crushed core syndrome. these pads help reduce the pressure and align the heatsink during installation.