It's time for me to get a new laptop. The one I have right now is 5yo, battery has been dead for a long time and it's overheating to the point that I had to buy a desk fan to help it keep cool...
Anyway, I filled out the FAQ to help you understand the kind of laptop I'm looking for:
1. What is your budget?
It would be around $600
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Something kinda light and small. The most important size being the screen size.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Ideally 11.6"/12.1' but I am now thinking that 13" would be ok too.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
This is gonna be my main computer.
5. How much battery life do you need?
4-5h would be good. More is always welcome.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
The laptop isn't gonna be primilarly for games, but if I can play SC2 (medium to low) or even Diablo 3 when it comes out, I'd be happy.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
The laptop is mainly gonna be used to go online, stream videos (1080p would be perfect).
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
250GB or more
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Don't really have a preference.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd say 3 to 4 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't think I really need one. If it's there, DVD Writer would be enough.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've had bad experiences with HP so I'd be reluctant to buy any laptop from them in the future. However if people have had good experiences with some of them, why not.
Otherwise, I don't really have anything against any brand.
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
For a time I was considering buying the Asus eepc 1215N
For a main computer, do not get a netbook. And if you plan on playing HD movies or any games on it, you want to make sure it has a decent video card. Keep in mind you can't upgrade laptops easily, and the video card not at all.
Spending $500 on a laptop you are frustrated with is a waste. Spending $700 on a laptop that actually runs what you want is not.
This laptop is about over $150 you want to spend but if you want to play sc2 in reasonable quality, since it recommend for a desktop HD3870, then the GT 540 will do it well. Depending on the cooling of the laptop, you may also able to oc it with MSI afterburner.