Bardic Music with Message?

Earlier tonight, the party bard had the idea of casting Message
(including the rest of the party in the spell), and using his bardic
music abilities (i.e. Inspire Courage) through the spell so that enemies
couldn't hear it being used. I guess his idea was that it would be sort
of like a walkman in each PC's ear.

Is this allowed? I read through the spell and it certainly doesn't seem
to be the intent of it. In fact a strict reading might only allow the
bard to send "a message" and recieve "a reply" at some point during the
spell's duration. While that seems a little extreme to me, it also
seems to be a bit of a leap to allow the bard to play his pan pipes
"whisperingly" into the ears of the other PCs so as to gain the benefits
of bardic music without the attendant penalties of alerting nearby enemies.

Comments?

- Ron ^*^

Can't be done with Message spell, not even Sending or Dream. There is
a Feat that allows it. I believe it's called Subsonics in Complete
Adventurer if I recall correctly.

Gerald Katz

Werebat wrote:

> Earlier tonight, the party bard had the idea of casting Message
> (including the rest of the party in the spell), and using his bardic
> music abilities (i.e. Inspire Courage) through the spell so that enemies
> couldn't hear it being used. I guess his idea was that it would be sort
> of like a walkman in each PC's ear.
>
> Is this allowed? I read through the spell and it certainly doesn't seem
> to be the intent of it. In fact a strict reading might only allow the
> bard to send "a message" and recieve "a reply" at some point during the
> spell's duration. While that seems a little extreme to me, it also
> seems to be a bit of a leap to allow the bard to play his pan pipes
> "whisperingly" into the ears of the other PCs so as to gain the benefits
> of bardic music without the attendant penalties of alerting nearby enemies.
>
> Comments?

I like it. The spell even points out that it transmits
"sound," not "meaning," so I think it leans away from
the "strict reading" you suggest.

This player is thinking outside the box. I'd reward
that.

-Bluto

On Mon, 02 May 2005 23:09:38 -0700, Senator Blutarsky
<monarchy@comcast.net> wrote:

>Werebat wrote:
>>
>> Earlier tonight, the party bard had the idea of casting Message
>> (including the rest of the party in the spell), and using his bardic
>> music abilities (i.e. Inspire Courage) through the spell so that enemies
>> couldn't hear it being used. I guess his idea was that it would be sort
>> of like a walkman in each PC's ear.
>>
>> Is this allowed? I read through the spell and it certainly doesn't seem
>> to be the intent of it. In fact a strict reading might only allow the
>> bard to send "a message" and recieve "a reply" at some point during the
>> spell's duration. While that seems a little extreme to me, it also
>> seems to be a bit of a leap to allow the bard to play his pan pipes
>> "whisperingly" into the ears of the other PCs so as to gain the benefits
>> of bardic music without the attendant penalties of alerting nearby enemies.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>I like it. The spell even points out that it transmits
>"sound," not "meaning," so I think it leans away from
>the "strict reading" you suggest.
>
>This player is thinking outside the box. I'd reward
>that.

One has to be careful about rewarding unconventional approaches if you
are going to be stuck with it forever afterward.
I think the real issue is not whether you could use Message to send
bardic music but whether you could play courage inspiring bardic music
quietly. Seems to me that martial music isn't soft by nature.

David Johnston <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 23:09:38 -0700, Senator Blutarsky
> <monarchy@comcast.net> wrote:

>>Werebat wrote:
>>>
>>> Earlier tonight, the party bard had the idea of casting Message
>>> (including the rest of the party in the spell), and using his bardic
>>> music abilities (i.e. Inspire Courage) through the spell so that enemies
>>> couldn't hear it being used. I guess his idea was that it would be sort
>>> of like a walkman in each PC's ear.
>>>
>>> Is this allowed? I read through the spell and it certainly doesn't seem
>>> to be the intent of it. In fact a strict reading might only allow the
>>> bard to send "a message" and recieve "a reply" at some point during the
>>> spell's duration. While that seems a little extreme to me, it also
>>> seems to be a bit of a leap to allow the bard to play his pan pipes
>>> "whisperingly" into the ears of the other PCs so as to gain the benefits
>>> of bardic music without the attendant penalties of alerting nearby enemies.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>>I like it. The spell even points out that it transmits
>>"sound," not "meaning," so I think it leans away from
>>the "strict reading" you suggest.
>>
>>This player is thinking outside the box. I'd reward
>>that.

> One has to be careful about rewarding unconventional approaches if you
> are going to be stuck with it forever afterward.
> I think the real issue is not whether you could use Message to send
> bardic music but whether you could play courage inspiring bardic music
> quietly. Seems to me that martial music isn't soft by nature.

It's not just that. ('Bardic music' doesn't necessarily have to be
musical, after all.) The spell description doesn't say whether or not
Message can be used to transmit magical effects at all -- if it works
on bardic music, what about Command? Suggestion? (I almost included
Power Word Kill, but it turns out that that one doesn't actually depend
on the target being able to hear the caster. :)) Can your bard use
Message to fascinate somebody without anybody not watching his lips
taking notice?

As an aside, casting Message itself involves a verbal component. Which
means, if memory serves, that you need to be able to speak in a
reasonably clear, firm voice -- it may be just a matter of personal
taste, but I'm not so sure I'd allow spellcasters to just mumble a
few words under their breath for fear of being overheard and call
*that* a suitable 'verbal component'. Not without the Silent Spell
feat, anyway. :)

==
Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
#include <disclaimer.h>
#include <fancysig.h>
spam > /dev/null

mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:

> As an aside, casting Message itself involves a verbal component. Which
> means, if memory serves, that you need to be able to speak in a
> reasonably clear, firm voice -- it may be just a matter of personal
> taste, but I'm not so sure I'd allow spellcasters to just mumble a
> few words under their breath for fear of being overheard and call
> *that* a suitable 'verbal component'. Not without the Silent Spell
> feat, anyway. :)

As an aside to your aside, I agree with your point about verbal
components in general, but I think it's quite silly that message has a
verbal component.

It's almost like one of those funny spells from dragon, "detect self"
and such. "You can transmit a message to your allies. Component:
speaking in a clear, firm voice." :/

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:

> mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
>

>>As an aside, casting Message itself involves a verbal component. Which
>>means, if memory serves, that you need to be able to speak in a
>>reasonably clear, firm voice -- it may be just a matter of personal
>>taste, but I'm not so sure I'd allow spellcasters to just mumble a
>>few words under their breath for fear of being overheard and call
>>*that* a suitable 'verbal component'. Not without the Silent Spell
>>feat, anyway. :)
>

> As an aside to your aside, I agree with your point about verbal
> components in general, but I think it's quite silly that message has a
> verbal component.
>
> It's almost like one of those funny spells from dragon, "detect self"
> and such. "You can transmit a message to your allies. Component:
> speaking in a clear, firm voice." :/

Well, it lasts for 10 minutes a level. I think the intent of the spell
is to allow the party proper to keep in contact with the party scout two
rooms ahead, or to allow the party to "talk private for a minute" when
dealing with an NPC.

What the player is doing is turning it into a spell that allows him to
keep Inspire Courage running for 80 minutes or more while the party is
exploring a dungeon (+2 to all skill checks, mind you, is nothing to
sneeze at while dungeon delving) without fear of anyone hearing.

Of course he has to burn a 0-level spell AND a bardic music use per day
in order to do this. I'm not sure that it's overpowered as is, although
almost certainly not the intent of the spell. What worries me is, as
one poster already pointed out, potential problems when the combo is
used with other spells and spell effects once it is officially allowed.
Remember the Simpsons episode with the School House Rock spoof "I'm an
Amendment to the Constitution"? "Door's open, boys!" :^)

The hammer has to come down when the bard starts using Message to allow
the party Evoker to cast Sonic Bolts that don't make much noise, for
example.

- Ron ^*^

Hadsil wrote:

> Can't be done with Message spell, not even Sending or Dream. There is
> a Feat that allows it. I believe it's called Subsonics in Complete
> Adventurer if I recall correctly.

Good point. Why blow a feat on something you can do with a 0-level spell?

Yeh, subsonics allows exactly this effect, and requires 10 ranks of
perform (level 7).

It may be easiest to restrict supernatural effects from being conduited
through the Message spell.

- Ron ^*^

ranpoirier@cox.net wrote:

> >>As an aside, casting Message itself involves a verbal component. Which
> >>means, if memory serves, that you need to be able to speak in a
> >>reasonably clear, firm voice -- it may be just a matter of personal
> >>taste, but I'm not so sure I'd allow spellcasters to just mumble a
> >>few words under their breath for fear of being overheard and call
> >>*that* a suitable 'verbal component'. Not without the Silent Spell
> >>feat, anyway. :)
> >
> > As an aside to your aside, I agree with your point about verbal
> > components in general, but I think it's quite silly that message has a
> > verbal component.
> >
> > It's almost like one of those funny spells from dragon, "detect self"
> > and such. "You can transmit a message to your allies. Component:
> > speaking in a clear, firm voice." :/
>
> Well, it lasts for 10 minutes a level. I think the intent of the spell
> is to allow the party proper to keep in contact with the party scout two
> rooms ahead,

Fair enough, that's a good use.

> or to allow the party to "talk private for a minute" when
> dealing with an NPC.

IME, when a situation like this arises, the person with message hadn't
remembered to cast it in the last 10 min./level.

There's a wu jen spell from OA (secret signs, I think?) that's better
for this: IIRC, the only component is somatic, a relatively unobtrusive
gesture which the target interprets as intended, a message of a sentence
or three. Of course, with this, both characters need the spell if they
want two way communication...

Maybe I misspoke. Message can be rather useful even with a V component.

> What the player is doing is turning it into a spell that allows him to
> keep Inspire Courage running for 80 minutes or more while the party is
> exploring a dungeon (+2 to all skill checks, mind you, is nothing to
> sneeze at while dungeon delving) without fear of anyone hearing.

Inspire courage doesn't give the bonus to skill checks, only to
attack/damage and vs. charm and fear. Inspire competence gives +2 to
skill checks, and that's only to one character, one skill, and you can't
keep it up forever (without spending additional music uses).

Another aside: isn't inspire competence rather weak compared to other
bardic music? Sure, there are situations when inspire competence can be
a lifesaver, but it seems really limited compared to other stuff the
bard can do with his music uses.

> Of course he has to burn a 0-level spell AND a bardic music use per day
> in order to do this. I'm not sure that it's overpowered as is, although
> almost certainly not the intent of the spell. What worries me is, as
> one poster already pointed out, potential problems when the combo is
> used with other spells and spell effects once it is officially allowed.
> Remember the Simpsons episode with the School House Rock spoof "I'm an
> Amendment to the Constitution"? "Door's open, boys!" :^)
>
> The hammer has to come down when the bard starts using Message to allow
> the party Evoker to cast Sonic Bolts that don't make much noise, for
> example.

You could allow it, and rule that since all message does is make your
whispers audible to the target, you still "must be able to speak in a
strong voice" to cast the other spell. So message might carry a
whispered suggestion or command, but you'd still need to speak out loud
to cast the suggestion or command itself.

As for sonic evocations, I'd definitely rule that you can't "whisper" a
sonic bolt so that only the target of the message hears it and takes
damage. It's the spell that's making the noise, not the caster, right?

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr