Fried AMD XP 1700

G

My brand new AMD XP 1700 CPU fried after 5 sek. I did everything according to instructions but I believe I used to much thermal compound, Arctic Silver II. I used a really thin layer but not thin enough. My question is:
If I send AMD my fried CPU will they send me a new one because of the warranty?? My local dealer doesn't give med any warranty. How can I tell if my CPU really is fried?

Palpatine

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I dont think that the artic silver was the cause of the melt down. I remember in the instuctions of applying the paste that it may cause some problems if the layer is too thin.

If it is fried then you should see the core fried (black etc) if not then there is something else. What's your power supply? Perhaps you cracked the chip while you were setting the heat sink fan? Is the heatsink fan connected to the mobo directly or the PSU? Did you connect the power on/off cables from the case correctly? Tell us in more detail what is the problem.

G

The CPU was mounted on an EPoX EP-8KHA+ KT266A 6PCI 1AGP 3DDR-DIMM Audio SocketA ATX motherboard with the heat sink
ALPHA PAL 8045 T (+2100 Mhz) and the fan TITAN 80x25. I mounted the heat sink very carefully. The power supply is a Silent Systems "Q Technology" Ultra Quiet 300W ATX (AMD&P4 OK). When I first started the computer the fan started but in 5 sek I smelled the burned CPU and switched the power off. The fan was connected to the motherboard (contact: CPU fan). The CPU lookes a little bit black in the sides but not much. Do you think AMD will send me a new one, and if they do, how should I mount it to avoid another disaster?

G

I've seen many CPU's covered with Arctic Silver II, but none of them are fried. Did you follow the instructions on the Arctic Silver web site? This stuff is a heat conductive material. In case you apply too much, it can only increase temperatures 1 or 2 degrees. Since you apply pressure during heat sink installation, the extra compound would move to sideways (the stuff would fill the space around your core).

The only way you can fry your CPU is to have air gap between CPU and heat sink. Did you use a spacer or something? I believe the Alpha cooler is mounted in a different way (like using holes of the motherboard). Are you sure you applied enugh pressure on the core?

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

G

Now I'm starting to get it. I have heard all sorts of explanations in this matter. So, I can put on lot of Arctic Silver II without damaging the CPU, right?! I put on a very thin layer according to intructions. I also didn't apply that much pressure because I thought that damaged the CPU. Maybe it was airgap that caused the failure. Do I dear to mount the CPU with alot of Arctic Silver and more pressure when I get my new CPU or should I contact a proffesional technichan??

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
best thing to do is read the instructions that came with the heatsink. There should be a fairly significant final pressure on the core, but I am not familiar with the Alpha mounting process. If it is anything like the swiftec 462, there are many pitfalls awaiting the inexperienced user and you may have killed your cpu. RIP, the cpu is dead, long live the cpu.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
fried XP? according to AMD and some ppl on this board that's nearly impossible! LOL! my advice call AMD and get an RMA number, please insist on it don't take no for an answer.

oh, and about the dealer, I don't blame him/her if I were still selling AMD's I wouldn't give refunds on oem either.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmDmElTdOwN on 11/26/01 11:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

OK, can someone give me detailed instructions of how to mount the AMD XP 1700 on the Epox MB with the Alpha pal heat sink and the Arctic Silver II thermal compound.
- Amount of thermal compound?
- How to apply the heat sink correct?

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Fried ???

as in "Kentucky Fried Chicken" ??

Well, both includes some kind of a Bird, so I guess it's a rather precise description of what's taking place.

------ Hot News ------
Get ready for some new overclocked P4 1700 MHz Willamette SiSoft Sandra scores.