Speaking of weird dice...

I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    dice?

    Nothing so odd, but I still have my d30 and a copy of "The 30-sided
    Character." Go werewolf sailors!

    Don't know what happened to my d100, though. Maybe I took a golf club
    to it; the temptation was always powerful.

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    dice?

    I have one. I use it for certain random tables... that I created...
    just so I could use that die.

    Seriously, though, after I bought it I read about a certain game that
    used it. IIRC, it was a sci-fi RPG from the early 1990s.

    - Kertis

    Mere moments before death, Tetsubo hastily scrawled:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    I found this: http://tinyurl.com/7fgqx

    Ed Chauvin IV

    modifier G @ 11.

    --Terry Austin

    In article <p72dnbXrIPS4wurfRVn-rg@comcast.com>,
    Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    I have a d1 don't use if often though.

    --
    Michael
    NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    dice?

    Granted, I don't own one, but these are pretty weird:
    http://www.advancinghordes.com/product_info.php/products_id/506
    Pity they're Rock, Paper, Scissors and not 1, 2, 3

    Ed Chauvin IV wrote:

    > Mere moments before death, Tetsubo hastily scrawled:
    >
    >> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?
    >

    > I found this: http://tinyurl.com/7fgqx

    Come on, fgqx!

    - Ron ^*^

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:41:26 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
    raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

    >Ed Chauvin IV wrote:
    >
    >> Mere moments before death, Tetsubo hastily scrawled:
    >>
    >>> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >>>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?
    >>

    >> I found this: http://tinyurl.com/7fgqx
    >
    >Come on, fgqx!
    >
    > - Ron ^*^

    I see you jockin' me.

    --
    Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
    - Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:23:30 -0400, Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    : I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    :never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    I have two d24s; they both have trinagular faces
    (there are also 24-sided semiregular polyhedra with
    rhomboid and pentagonal faces).

    --
    Never give a loaded gun to a woman in labor.

    George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'.

    "Tetsubo" <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    A couple d16s shaped like a standard d10 only with more faces (other post in
    error), an elongated d4, a couple really weird d6s shaped, well, I don't
    know how to describe their shape, several elongated d10s, two d3s which are
    basically d6s with 1-3 twice, and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere
    close to a true bell curve. Heh.

    --
    In an old 1E campaign I played in, there was this half-dwarf, half-orc
    character. They called him a dorc. -Solomoriah

    Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> writes
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    >dice?

    The only weird-ish one I have is a d30, bought because one of the RM
    races used d15 for hit dice.

    --
    Ian R Malcomson
    "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

    madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Tetsubo wrote:
    >
    >>I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    >
    > dice?
    >
    > Nothing so odd, but I still have my d30 and a copy of "The 30-sided
    > Character." Go werewolf sailors!
    >
    > Don't know what happened to my d100, though. Maybe I took a golf club
    > to it; the temptation was always powerful.
    >
    > --
    > Jay Knioum
    > The Mad Afro

    Does your d30 have 1-30 or does it have -1 to -10, 1 to 10, and +1 to +10?

    I have a d100. We call it "The Golf Ball of Death."

    George W Harris <gharrus@mundsprung.com> typed:

    >On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:23:30 -0400, Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >: I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >:never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?
    >
    > I have two d24s; they both have trinagular faces
    >(there are also 24-sided semiregular polyhedra with
    >rhomboid and pentagonal faces).

    I have one of the triangular ones. It came from a games fair in
    Germany or Holland or some such place. Never used it, though.
    Technically, it's a d6 with the faces bulging out a bit.

    The guy who gave it to me had a d14 from the same source, but that was
    just a d10-like offset double cone. He also had a rhomboid one d24 but
    I can't remember the details.

    ISTR someone here or rgfm claimed to have a d16; it suggests a d8 with
    bifurcated faces, but that's just a double cone again unless it's
    irregular..

    I have 36 totally blank d6. I was going to engrave them as FUDGE dice
    but never bothered.

    --
    Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

    D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

    "Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message
    > George W Harris <gharrus@mundsprung.com> typed:

    > ISTR someone here or rgfm claimed to have a d16; it suggests a d8 with
    > bifurcated faces, but that's just a double cone again unless it's
    > irregular..

    I have a couple d16s. They're long and cylindrical, and they bounce good
    enough as long as the table surface is the right type.

    --

    Varl <bsmith@premier1.net> wrote:
    > ... and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere close to a true bell curve.

    No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind. Perhaps you meant
    that it's not a fair die?
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:47:01 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

    :Varl <bsmith@premier1.net> wrote:
    :> ... and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere close to a true bell curve.
    :
    :No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind.

    No single die with faces numbered 1 to n. You
    can approximate a bell curve arbitrarily closely with a die
    with sufficient faces with some numbers repeated in the
    correct proportions.

    --
    "The truths of mathematics describe a bright and clear universe,
    exquisite and beautiful in its structure, in comparison with

    -Eulogy for G.H.Hardy

    "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
    > Varl <bsmith@premier1.net> wrote:
    > > ... and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere close to a true bell
    curve.

    > No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind. Perhaps you meant
    > that it's not a fair die?

    Yeah. Its 6 and 7 faces are much larger then the other 5, and the other 5
    aren't even faces. They're edges.

    --

    Some Guy wrote:

    > Does your d30 have 1-30 or does it have -1 to -10, 1 to 10, and +1 to
    +10?

    Just 1-30. I had no idea that the other existed.

    > I have a d100. We call it "The Golf Ball of Death."

    I've actually used the thing, particularly during those 1e games on
    high-stakes percentile rolls, where the die's meandering path added to
    the suspense. :)

    --
    Jay Knioum
    The Mad Afro

    Varl wrote:

    > "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
    > > Perhaps you meant that it's not a fair die?
    >
    > Yeah. Its 6 and 7 faces are much larger then the other 5,
    > and the other 5 aren't even faces. They're edges.

    I think you mean that the numbering around the circumfrence is painted
    on the edges. I have not seen one of these up close, but it would make
    sense that it is painted on the edges. That way, when a circumfrence
    side is down, the number faces up.

    I have an issue with the way the d7 is numbered. If you are going to
    manufacture an intrinsically biased die and you want to minimize the
    bias, you would think you wouldn't put the two highest numbers on the
    ends. Check out these stats:

    ideal true linear d7; mean = 4, st dev = 2

    d7 in question:
    circumference 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; mean = 3, st dev = 1.414
    ends 6, 7; mean = 6.5, st dev = 0.5

    better:
    circumference 1, 2, 4, 6, 7; mean = 4, st dev = 2.28
    ends 3, 5; mean = 4, st dev = 1

    circumference 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; mean = 4, st dev = 1.414
    ends 1, 7; mean = 4, st dev = 3

    best:
    circumference 1, 3, 4, 5, 7; mean = 4, st dev = 2
    ends 2, 6; mean = 4, st dev = 2

    You can see that with the last numbering, the low order statistics
    match the ideal balls on.

    I can send the 123 spread sheet to anyone that wants to mess with this.

    MadKaugh

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    I have a six-sider I got at the Deutsche Museum in Munich. It has
    written on each side (in English) "Who", "How", "What", "Why", "Where"
    and "When".

    I really like it, in that it's the precise reverse of all gaming dice:
    rather than rolling the dice to resolve a question, rolling the dice
    poses one!

    Ah memories...

    Let's see
    1) One cheating bastard actually took one of the 0-9 d20s and double
    colored both of his 0s. never rolled a 10, but got lots of criticals.
    He got away with it for a long time too, until he got greedy and
    double colored his 9.

    2) A machinist friend of mine created a stainless steel 9 sided die
    once. It was a double cone and it was pretty good, but obviously the
    four numbers on the one side were slightly favored.

    3) I saw a cylindrical die once (d10, I think). The ends were tapered
    so it couldn't rest on end and just had the 10 flat faces.

    4) Our d30 (light green with the +/- 0-9 numbers) was ruled illegal
    after one of my DM screens were destroyed (1.5" hole through it) and
    then another DM received a bleeding lump on his skull. Violent
    buggers.

    Loup Garou
    --

    grrr-arghhh...

    "Loup-Garou" <loup-garou@notareal.com> wrote in message
    > 4) Our d30 (light green with the +/- 0-9 numbers) was ruled illegal
    > after one of my DM screens were destroyed (1.5" hole through it) and
    > then another DM received a bleeding lump on his skull. Violent
    > buggers.

    If I were to throw a die, I would make it a d4. While lightweight, they are
    quite pointy. For heft, however, I would choose my brushed steel oversized
    d20. That bastard weighs like 40 pounds or something(ok maybe not that
    much), and if thrown, I'm sure it would leave a gaping wound.

    "That's gonna leave a mark..."
    and
    "It doesn't hurt _here_ or _here_ so much, but more in THIS general area..."

    --
    Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

    I used to have a 32 sided glass die. It had 1-30 plus 0 and 00.

    On 5 May 2005 07:44:41 -0700, "Andras" <andrasotto@olg.com> scribed into
    the ether:

    >I used to have a 32 sided glass die. It had 1-30 plus 0 and 00.

    Roullette dice?

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    dice?

    This isn't an odd number, but it's an unusual die:

    http://www.mathpuzzle.com/OldIcosa.htm

    A few years ago somebody sold this 2,000-year-old Roman glass d20 at
    auction. Very cool. I wonder if the winning bidder was a gamer?

    In article <sakl71581bph3lsfv0ke40h5r87v4tg25d@4ax.com>,
    Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

    > On 5 May 2005 07:44:41 -0700, "Andras" <andrasotto@olg.com> scribed into
    > the ether:
    >
    > >I used to have a 32 sided glass die. It had 1-30 plus 0 and 00.
    >
    > Roullette dice?

    That was my thought as well.

    Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> typed:

    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    >never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    Forgot this one. Friend has a d4 made as two intersecting wedges. It's
    a tetrahedron, like a normal d4, but the sides are long and isoceles
    rather than equilateral. Imagine taking a rectangular block of cheese
    and squeezing the left end flat against the table and the right end
    flat vertically.

    --

    wrote:

    >No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind. Perhaps you meant
    >that it's not a fair die?

    Not exactly true. The most common example, often used in tabletop wargaming
    (or at least it used to be, many years ago), is the "average" die -- a d6
    with the numbers 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5.

    Bruce Probst bprobst@netspace.net.au
    Melbourne, Australia MSTie #72759
    "Ziggy had Garfield neutered? Now that's funny!"
    ASL FAQ http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mantis/ASLFAQ

    Mister Sharkey wrote:
    > Tetsubo wrote:
    > > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
    > dice?
    >
    > This isn't an odd number, but it's an unusual die:
    >
    > http://www.mathpuzzle.com/OldIcosa.htm
    >
    > A few years ago somebody sold this 2,000-year-old Roman glass d20 at
    > auction. Very cool. I wonder if the winning bidder was a gamer?

    It'd be neat to see plastic replicas of this die on the market.

    Ralph Glatt

    Member, Old Farts Club

    madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    > Some Guy wrote:
    >

    >>Does your d30 have 1-30 or does it have -1 to -10, 1 to 10, and +1 to
    >
    > +10?
    >
    > Just 1-30. I had no idea that the other existed.

    I cribbed it from a small-publisher RPG whose name I forget. It was one of
    the early systems that wanted to modify D&D combat routines; this one
    used hit tables based on negative values doing progressively less damage
    and plus values doing progressively more, or something like that. This had
    to have been around the early 1980's sometime.

    >>I have a d100. We call it "The Golf Ball of Death."
    >

    > I've actually used the thing, particularly during those 1e games on
    > high-stakes percentile rolls, where the die's meandering path added to
    > the suspense. :)

    Amen!

    Tetsubo wrote:
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    Yeah. The 24 sided and 5 sided dice (I have both) are patented by
    Lou Zocchi. You can get them from him directly at Origins or GenCon.

    Re,
    Dirk

    "Tetsubo" <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    Some d30s.
    A 2d6. This one is like a spinning top with 1 of the d6s on the bottom, and
    a loose one on the top.
    Some spherical d6s. These are spherical on the outside, but has a hollow
    with a weight in it, so that the weight makes sure one of the numbers faces
    up and that it doesn't roll too far.
    Some really oddly shaped d6s. Not really useful, but they look like d6s
    that have gone through a dimensional warp. They are heavily baised towards
    certain numbers.

    Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote:
    ] I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
    ] never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    I have some weather dice, long defunct company made them. 6d12s.
    Three of them have weather symbols, the other 3 have numbers in 5
    digit steps.

    http://dice.drivein-jim.net/graphics/weather.html

    JimP.
    --
    djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
    http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D May 3, 2005

    "Tetsubo" <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd never
    > even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

    I'll repeat myself for the purpose of following along for this post (sans
    prior offer) a d20 numbered 1-5 four times the five being circled.
    Just bought the thing in a 'Two pounds of Dice" auction on Ebay, so I dunno
    if it's old or new...

    --
    --==--
    Jerry Chesko

    Arthur Boff wrote:
    > I have a six-sider I got at the Deutsche Museum in Munich. It has
    > written on each side (in English) "Who", "How", "What", "Why", "Where"
    > and "When".
    > I really like it, in that it's the precise reverse of all gaming dice:
    > rather than rolling the dice to resolve a question, rolling the dice
    > poses one!

    Do you know where I can get one like that? That sounds totally neat.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
    --till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

    Jim Davies wrote:
    > Forgot this one. Friend has a d4 made as two intersecting wedges. It's
    > a tetrahedron, like a normal d4, but the sides are long and isoceles
    > rather than equilateral. Imagine taking a rectangular block of cheese
    > and squeezing the left end flat against the table and the right end
    > flat vertically.

    Sounds like dice I've seen advertised ... they are narrow, and are made of some
    stone or something. I see it on the page with the ads for those dwarven dice or
    the bones dice.
    --
    "... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
    --till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Games Video Games