Speaking of weird dice...

Last response: in Video Games
May 3, 2005 11:23:30 AM

I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

More about : speaking weird dice

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 11:23:31 AM

Tetsubo wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
dice?

Nothing so odd, but I still have my d30 and a copy of "The 30-sided
Character." Go werewolf sailors!

Don't know what happened to my d100, though. Maybe I took a golf club
to it; the temptation was always powerful.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Tetsubo wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
dice?

I have one. I use it for certain random tables... that I created...
just so I could use that die.

Seriously, though, after I bought it I read about a certain game that
used it. IIRC, it was a sci-fi RPG from the early 1990s.

- Kertis
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:34:45 PM

Mere moments before death, Tetsubo hastily scrawled:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

I found this: http://tinyurl.com/7fgqx

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 4:01:43 PM

In article <p72dnbXrIPS4wurfRVn-rg@comcast.com>,
Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

I have a d1 don't use if often though.

--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

Tetsubo wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
dice?

Granted, I don't own one, but these are pretty weird:
http://www.advancinghordes.com/product_info.php/product...
Pity they're Rock, Paper, Scissors and not 1, 2, 3
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:41:26 PM

Ed Chauvin IV wrote:

> Mere moments before death, Tetsubo hastily scrawled:
>
>> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?
>

> I found this: http://tinyurl.com/7fgqx

Come on, fgqx!

- Ron ^*^
May 3, 2005 5:41:27 PM

On Tue, 03 May 2005 13:41:26 -0400, Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net>
raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>Ed Chauvin IV wrote:
>
>> Mere moments before death, Tetsubo hastily scrawled:
>>
>>> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>>>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?
>>

>> I found this: http://tinyurl.com/7fgqx
>
>Come on, fgqx!
>
> - Ron ^*^

I see you jockin' me.

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:23:30 -0400, Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net>
wrote:

: I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
:never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

I have two d24s; they both have trinagular faces
(there are also 24-sided semiregular polyhedra with
rhomboid and pentagonal faces).

--
Never give a loaded gun to a woman in labor.

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 10:02:00 PM

"Tetsubo" <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p 72dnbXrIPS4wurfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

A couple d16s shaped like a standard d10 only with more faces (other post in
error), an elongated d4, a couple really weird d6s shaped, well, I don't
know how to describe their shape, several elongated d10s, two d3s which are
basically d6s with 1-3 twice, and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere
close to a true bell curve. Heh.

--
In an old 1E campaign I played in, there was this half-dwarf, half-orc
character. They called him a dorc. -Solomoriah

Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> writes
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
>dice?

The only weird-ish one I have is a d30, bought because one of the RM
races used d15 for hit dice.

--
Ian R Malcomson
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
>
>>I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
>
> dice?
>
> Nothing so odd, but I still have my d30 and a copy of "The 30-sided
> Character." Go werewolf sailors!
>
> Don't know what happened to my d100, though. Maybe I took a golf club
> to it; the temptation was always powerful.
>
> --
> Jay Knioum
> The Mad Afro

Does your d30 have 1-30 or does it have -1 to -10, 1 to 10, and +1 to +10?

I have a d100. We call it "The Golf Ball of Death."
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:50:13 AM

George W Harris <gharrus@mundsprung.com> typed:

>On Tue, 03 May 2005 07:23:30 -0400, Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>: I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>:never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?
>
> I have two d24s; they both have trinagular faces
>(there are also 24-sided semiregular polyhedra with
>rhomboid and pentagonal faces).

I have one of the triangular ones. It came from a games fair in
Germany or Holland or some such place. Never used it, though.
Technically, it's a d6 with the faces bulging out a bit.

The guy who gave it to me had a d14 from the same source, but that was
just a d10-like offset double cone. He also had a rhomboid one d24 but
I can't remember the details.

ISTR someone here or rgfm claimed to have a d16; it suggests a d8 with
bifurcated faces, but that's just a double cone again unless it's
irregular..

I have 36 totally blank d6. I was going to engrave them as FUDGE dice
but never bothered.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:50:14 AM

"Jim Davies" <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote in message
> George W Harris <gharrus@mundsprung.com> typed:

> ISTR someone here or rgfm claimed to have a d16; it suggests a d8 with
> bifurcated faces, but that's just a double cone again unless it's
> irregular..

I have a couple d16s. They're long and cylindrical, and they bounce good
enough as long as the table surface is the right type.

--
In an old 1E campaign I played in, there was this half-dwarf, half-orc
character. They called him a dorc. -Solomoriah
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:47:01 AM

Varl <bsmith@premier1.net> wrote:
> ... and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere close to a true bell curve.

No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind. Perhaps you meant
that it's not a fair die?
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On Wed, 04 May 2005 02:47:01 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

:Varl <bsmith@premier1.net> wrote:
:> ... and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere close to a true bell curve.
:
:No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind.

No single die with faces numbered 1 to n. You
can approximate a bell curve arbitrarily closely with a die
with sufficient faces with some numbers repeated in the
correct proportions.

--
"The truths of mathematics describe a bright and clear universe,
exquisite and beautiful in its structure, in comparison with

-Eulogy for G.H.Hardy

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 10:24:12 AM

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
> Varl <bsmith@premier1.net> wrote:
> > ... and one d7 that can't possibly give anywhere close to a true bell
curve.

> No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind. Perhaps you meant
> that it's not a fair die?

Yeah. Its 6 and 7 faces are much larger then the other 5, and the other 5
aren't even faces. They're edges.

--
In an old 1E campaign I played in, there was this half-dwarf, half-orc
character. They called him a dorc. -Solomoriah
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:21:58 AM

Some Guy wrote:

> Does your d30 have 1-30 or does it have -1 to -10, 1 to 10, and +1 to
+10?

Just 1-30. I had no idea that the other existed.

> I have a d100. We call it "The Golf Ball of Death."

I've actually used the thing, particularly during those 1e games on
high-stakes percentile rolls, where the die's meandering path added to
the suspense. :)

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

Varl wrote:

> "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
> > Perhaps you meant that it's not a fair die?
>
> Yeah. Its 6 and 7 faces are much larger then the other 5,
> and the other 5 aren't even faces. They're edges.

I think you mean that the numbering around the circumfrence is painted
on the edges. I have not seen one of these up close, but it would make
sense that it is painted on the edges. That way, when a circumfrence
side is down, the number faces up.

I have an issue with the way the d7 is numbered. If you are going to
manufacture an intrinsically biased die and you want to minimize the
bias, you would think you wouldn't put the two highest numbers on the
ends. Check out these stats:

ideal true linear d7; mean = 4, st dev = 2

d7 in question:
circumference 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; mean = 3, st dev = 1.414
ends 6, 7; mean = 6.5, st dev = 0.5

better:
circumference 1, 2, 4, 6, 7; mean = 4, st dev = 2.28
ends 3, 5; mean = 4, st dev = 1

circumference 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; mean = 4, st dev = 1.414
ends 1, 7; mean = 4, st dev = 3

best:
circumference 1, 3, 4, 5, 7; mean = 4, st dev = 2
ends 2, 6; mean = 4, st dev = 2

You can see that with the last numbering, the low order statistics
match the ideal balls on.

I can send the 123 spread sheet to anyone that wants to mess with this.

MadKaugh
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 10:44:55 PM

Tetsubo wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

I have a six-sider I got at the Deutsche Museum in Munich. It has
written on each side (in English) "Who", "How", "What", "Why", "Where"
and "When".

I really like it, in that it's the precise reverse of all gaming dice:
rather than rolling the dice to resolve a question, rolling the dice
poses one!
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:58:15 PM

Ah memories...

Let's see
1) One cheating bastard actually took one of the 0-9 d20s and double
colored both of his 0s. never rolled a 10, but got lots of criticals.
He got away with it for a long time too, until he got greedy and
double colored his 9.

2) A machinist friend of mine created a stainless steel 9 sided die
once. It was a double cone and it was pretty good, but obviously the
four numbers on the one side were slightly favored.

3) I saw a cylindrical die once (d10, I think). The ends were tapered
so it couldn't rest on end and just had the 10 flat faces.

4) Our d30 (light green with the +/- 0-9 numbers) was ruled illegal
after one of my DM screens were destroyed (1.5" hole through it) and
then another DM received a bleeding lump on his skull. Violent
buggers.

Loup Garou
--

grrr-arghhh...
Anonymous

"Loup-Garou" <loup-garou@notareal.com> wrote in message
> 4) Our d30 (light green with the +/- 0-9 numbers) was ruled illegal
> after one of my DM screens were destroyed (1.5" hole through it) and
> then another DM received a bleeding lump on his skull. Violent
> buggers.

If I were to throw a die, I would make it a d4. While lightweight, they are
quite pointy. For heft, however, I would choose my brushed steel oversized
d20. That bastard weighs like 40 pounds or something(ok maybe not that
much), and if thrown, I'm sure it would leave a gaping wound.

"That's gonna leave a mark..."
and
"It doesn't hurt _here_ or _here_ so much, but more in THIS general area..."

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
May 5, 2005 11:44:41 AM

I used to have a 32 sided glass die. It had 1-30 plus 0 and 00.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:07:20 AM

On 5 May 2005 07:44:41 -0700, "Andras" <andrasotto@olg.com> scribed into
the ether:

>I used to have a 32 sided glass die. It had 1-30 plus 0 and 00.

Roullette dice?
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:59:08 PM

Tetsubo wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
dice?

This isn't an odd number, but it's an unusual die:

http://www.mathpuzzle.com/OldIcosa.htm

A few years ago somebody sold this 2,000-year-old Roman glass d20 at
auction. Very cool. I wonder if the winning bidder was a gamer?
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:32:46 AM

In article <sakl71581bph3lsfv0ke40h5r87v4tg25d@4ax.com>,
Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

> On 5 May 2005 07:44:41 -0700, "Andras" <andrasotto@olg.com> scribed into
> the ether:
>
> >I used to have a 32 sided glass die. It had 1-30 plus 0 and 00.
>
> Roullette dice?

That was my thought as well.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:09:31 AM

Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> typed:

> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
>never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

Forgot this one. Friend has a d4 made as two intersecting wedges. It's
a tetrahedron, like a normal d4, but the sides are long and isoceles
rather than equilateral. Imagine taking a rectangular block of cheese
and squeezing the left end flat against the table and the right end
flat vertically.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:37:16 PM

wrote:

>No single die can produce a bell curve of any kind. Perhaps you meant
>that it's not a fair die?

Not exactly true. The most common example, often used in tabletop wargaming
(or at least it used to be, many years ago), is the "average" die -- a d6
with the numbers 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5.

Bruce Probst bprobst@netspace.net.au
Melbourne, Australia MSTie #72759
"Ziggy had Garfield neutered? Now that's funny!"
ASL FAQ http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mantis/ASLFAQ
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 7:02:25 PM

Mister Sharkey wrote:
> Tetsubo wrote:
> > I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> > never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered
> dice?
>
> This isn't an odd number, but it's an unusual die:
>
> http://www.mathpuzzle.com/OldIcosa.htm
>
> A few years ago somebody sold this 2,000-year-old Roman glass d20 at
> auction. Very cool. I wonder if the winning bidder was a gamer?

It'd be neat to see plastic replicas of this die on the market.

Ralph Glatt

Member, Old Farts Club
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 1:45:37 AM

madafro@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Some Guy wrote:
>

>>Does your d30 have 1-30 or does it have -1 to -10, 1 to 10, and +1 to
>
> +10?
>
> Just 1-30. I had no idea that the other existed.

I cribbed it from a small-publisher RPG whose name I forget. It was one of
the early systems that wanted to modify D&D combat routines; this one
used hit tables based on negative values doing progressively less damage
and plus values doing progressively more, or something like that. This had
to have been around the early 1980's sometime.

>>I have a d100. We call it "The Golf Ball of Death."
>

> I've actually used the thing, particularly during those 1e games on
> high-stakes percentile rolls, where the die's meandering path added to
> the suspense. :)

Amen!
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 7:32:12 PM

Tetsubo wrote:
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

Yeah. The 24 sided and 5 sided dice (I have both) are patented by
Lou Zocchi. You can get them from him directly at Origins or GenCon.

Re,
Dirk
May 8, 2005 10:38:39 PM

"Tetsubo" <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p 72dnbXrIPS4wurfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
> never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

Some d30s.
A 2d6. This one is like a spinning top with 1 of the d6s on the bottom, and
a loose one on the top.
Some spherical d6s. These are spherical on the outside, but has a hollow
with a weight in it, so that the weight makes sure one of the numbers faces
up and that it doesn't roll too far.
Some really oddly shaped d6s. Not really useful, but they look like d6s
that have gone through a dimensional warp. They are heavily baised towards
certain numbers.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 1:24:05 AM

Tetsubo <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote:
] I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd
] never even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

I have some weather dice, long defunct company made them. 6d12s.
Three of them have weather symbols, the other 3 have numbers in 5
digit steps.

http://dice.drivein-jim.net/graphics/weather.html

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D May 3, 2005

"Tetsubo" <tetsubo@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p 72dnbXrIPS4wurfRVn-rg@comcast.com...
> I recently bought a 24-sided die at an educational toy store. I'd never
> even heard of that type before. Anyone else have odd numbered dice?

I'll repeat myself for the purpose of following along for this post (sans
prior offer) a d20 numbered 1-5 four times the five being circled.
Just bought the thing in a 'Two pounds of Dice" auction on Ebay, so I dunno
if it's old or new...

--
--==--
Jerry Chesko

Arthur Boff wrote:
> I have a six-sider I got at the Deutsche Museum in Munich. It has
> written on each side (in English) "Who", "How", "What", "Why", "Where"
> and "When".
> I really like it, in that it's the precise reverse of all gaming dice:
> rather than rolling the dice to resolve a question, rolling the dice
> poses one!

Do you know where I can get one like that? That sounds totally neat.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Jim Davies wrote:
> Forgot this one. Friend has a d4 made as two intersecting wedges. It's
> a tetrahedron, like a normal d4, but the sides are long and isoceles
> rather than equilateral. Imagine taking a rectangular block of cheese
> and squeezing the left end flat against the table and the right end
> flat vertically.

Sounds like dice I've seen advertised ... they are narrow, and are made of some
stone or something. I see it on the page with the ads for those dwarven dice or
the bones dice.
--
!