What's up with the XP CPUs problems

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I'm getting a 1800 XP shortly and I hope I don't have the problem that others are having. Can someone shade some light on why some are having problems running these CPUs? Is it the mobo, power supply, user, what? Thanks......Note.. Some mobo are XP ready, or can get a BIOS update, but still see the problem.

defrage is child's play-fdisk

G

I've yet to see any issues besides faulty hardware or user errors. These include:
- not being able to install a hsf
- incorrectly setting the fsb (100 Mhz instead of 133)
- buying crappy PSU's
- not reinstalling the OS after a cpu upgrade
- not flashing the BIOS

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
??? re-install the OS after a cpu upgrade?

After a motherboard change, sure, but I don't think reinstalling the OS would ever be needed unless you go from 1 to 2 cpus.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the only problems with the AXP is the PR faux numbers, the half thermal solution and the measly overclocking other than that it is what it is.

however, regarding the AMD platform, well that's an entirely different story. burb!

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I think you have all the bases covered with faulty hardware or user errors. But we might want to get your wife's view on reinstalling the OS or flashing the BIOS. Haha
There were some cases where the person couldn't boot or had problems after they change the MHz to 133. I know for me it would be as simple as adding memory, if I didn't have to update my BIOS. I guess I'll find out shortly for myself, and continual to monitor the situation.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
You write ignorant, I could hardly make out what you were trying to say, if anything. You must be an Intel fan and not be able to read, cause you would have read how superior AMD is to Intel. Hehe, just busting your chops, I'm an Intel fan too, I have 5 P4 mobo and 3 P4 CPUs, I had to sell my house to keep up with the upgrades. OK, enough, don't get bent. I'm sure you got some too. I have a friend and his house burned down, because he left his Athlon on while he was out.
As for the AMD platform I wouldn't say that's another story, especially if the reason is their mobo is not XP ready or just needs a BIOS upgrade. Assuming they have a 300-400 watts power supply.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most of the problems switching from 100 to 133 are the blame of the motherboard (not being able to properly support the bus speed, such as with the KT133 chipset) or, more commonly, the power supply (CPU draws much more power at the higher clock speed).

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I realize 100 to 133, and the KT133-KT133A, but what get's me is that the AMD bus speed is 200. Would it be save to say that AMD is ready to overclock, but the VIA chip is not? Care to comment?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The original KT133 was designed for a 133MHz bus speed but failed to work with it. It was revised a few times, the later revisions worked occasionally at 133 (DDR266). Most of the time they wouldn't go past 115MHz (DDR 230).
The KT133A was a redesign of the KT133, and DID support 133MHz FSB (DDR 266), but originally did not go much higher. This chipset was revised something like 16 times and eventually some board would go to around 140 or 145 (a select few even higher).
Their newest chipset (KT266 and KT266A) are very overclockable.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

>??? re-install the OS after a cpu upgrade?

Absolutely. At least if you upgrade from a Tbird or "old" Duron to a Palomino (XP) or a new Duron. These new chips support SSE. Windows requires a reinstall to be able to use these SSE extentions. During the installation, windows detects the presence/absence of SSE extentions. And depending on whether they are detected, it installs SSE enabled libraries or not. I've not seen a way around this, other than to reinstall unfortunately.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
After a motherboard change, sure, but I don't think reinstalling the OS would ever be needed unless you go from 1 to 2 cpus.

though it's not bad, even that is not necessary. just have to update the driver. that can be done from booting up from the win2000 cd or in device manager.

G

>There were some cases where the person couldn't boot or
>had problems after they change the MHz to 133

There are three likely reasons for this:

1) "overclocked" 133 Mhz fsb. I've seen cases of people selecting 133 fsb in Bios, but while keeping the 100 Mhz fsb dividers (usually through jumper). Giving them 166 Mhz memory bus, severly overclocked AGP, PCI, etc. No wonder that doesnt boot.

2) Insufficient powerfull PSU.

3) motherboard failure. Especially with boards like the ECS K7SA there seem to be issues with getting it to work at all, and especially at 133 (=266 DDR) fsb.

>I know for me it would be as simple as adding memory, if I
>didn't have to update my BIOS.

If flashing a bios frightens you, I'd have someone else install the cpu for you.. frankly. Regardless of wether or not you are upgrading you cpu, its usually a good idea to flash the bios to the latest version regularly. Still, if you dont want to flash, look at your motherboard manufacturers website if your current bios version support the Palomino. Unless its a *very* recent board, I doubt it.

Also, while there is no magic involved, installing a cpu (okay, especially an AMD) requires some skill. Much more then installing a memory module. You have to make sure you dont bend any pins, that you apply the correct ammount of thermal paste, that you either do or do not remove the thermal gum thing under the heatsink. You have to be carefull when installing the heatsink if you have a model with clips. These require quite a bit of presure, and when not applied correctly, easily crush the core. You have to make sure the heatsink is well alligned/positioned so that there is absolutely no gap between the core and the heatsink.
Failure to do all of the above *will* likely ruin your cpu. On the other hand, its rather hard to kill a memory module unless through static electricity.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Your reply was better then my question, my question had errors, the bus speed is ready to over clock. At 140-145 or failure I believe it could be more then just the chip. Well, the Athlon and Memory due support 133, but couldn't they also limit it?

G

I recently upgraded to an Athlon XP 1600+... I must admit, that being an Intel fan I am genuinly impressed with the Athlon XP. I'm glad I didn't fork out the extra for a Pentium 4 1.4ghz (though, the Pentium 4 Motherboards appear to be cheaper, so it would have cost about the same anyway).

Not only am I impressed, but I havn't come accross any problems that I havn't been able to fix... and all of the problems I have had, were stupid mistakes, made by myself, not by AMD.

- not being able to install a hsf

Didn't get this Problem. Anyone willing to elaborate on it?

- incorrectly setting the fsb (100 Mhz instead of 133)

Stupid Mistake Number One... My Bad.

- buying crappy PSU's

I originally used the 300W PSU that I used for my P3 800EB, but later upgraded to an AMD approved 350W PSU.

- not reinstalling the OS after a cpu upgrade

Probably stupid mistake number 2. Still havn't done this, just wondering if it's totally neccesary? Would I have to re-format, ot would a re-install of Windows XP over top do the trick?

- not flashing the BIOS

Didn't have this problem. But I would have, if not for Gigabyte pre-flashing the Mainboard before shipping.

My only complain has to be CPU temperature, and was hoping maybe all you Athlon XP users could share your average Idle CPU temp, and your CPU Cooling solution. (Mine sits on 50 Degrees Average with the case closed, 45 with it open). I'm currently looking into a new Cooling solution, as well as a way of working around that whole "CPU Frying instantly if fan fails" thing. Without purchasing a new Mainboard, or silly little addon board.

PS. And that story of a guy burning down his house by leaving his Athlon on? Is that true?! Surely it can't be. Probably just some Intel fanboy making things up... like I used to :)

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
>>If flashing a BIOS frightens you, I'd have someone else install the CPU for you.<< hehe. That's why I learned how to build and repair for myself. I got tired of the near by tech screwing me. I paid a tech to put in a video card, only not to be able restart my CPU. Paid to put it in, then to take it out. Another time I paid 200 to have him put in a cheap 10G hard drive. He left my 3G drive in and said IF HE COULD he would make it to where the new drive would have the OS on it. Like it was going to be a miracle, I didn't know anything at the time. And ever since I fantasize about opening a shop right next to his, with a big arrow pointing down to his place, and my name would be I WON' T RIP YOU OFF. I hate the guy to this day. He ask you do you want this job rushed, that will be another 20, though it maybe all he has to work on. I'm sure not all are like this, I wouldn't be, if something didn't work I wouldn't send it home.
Well, now I'm all out of time. As for being afraid of upgrading, I'm not. I have a pretty good record of getting my computer back up in no time, no matter what. Another long boring story, one time I was partition and I fried my mobo, yes I fried it doing a partition, over and over. So I bought another mobo that day $170. got it working very nicely that night. Woke up decided to connect two computer's together. Hay, why fry one when you can fry two mobo at once. I fried 3 mobo in two days. I was so depress I went to sleep, but every time I woke up, it was like a nightmare not having a computer. So before that day was half way over I got another mobo, and off I was. Hehe, so no I'm not afraid of a little Flash. Sorry, I didn't remark directly to your response and went traveling, but I did get some pointers out of it, so thanks for that.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Really? I have never seen anyone suggest anywhere else (I'm really not doubting you but it surprises me) that you have to reinstall the OS to change CPUs (architecture).

It is more obvious going from, say a PIII to an Athlon as the chipset will be different, but I was not aware, infact that there are OS related libraries loaded for the cpu architecture that would require a reinstall.

What would you expect to see if you just upgrade an Athlon/Duron to an XP/Morgan? Will wcpuid report no SSE support? Will it affect OS only, not applications? I'm kind of curious on this now, as I had been considering slapping an XP in my system as a quick and dirty way of getting an easy upgrade. Reinstalling is a real pain in the backside.

G

>yes I fried it doing a partition, over and over. So I
>bought another mobo that day $170. got it working very
>nicely that night. Woke up decided to connect two
>computer's together. Hay, why fry one when you can fry two
>mobo at once. I fried 3 mobo in two days

I'd really reconsider an iMac. They come in gorgeous colours, and are not that hard to install.

If you go the Athlon XP way, make sure you buy 5 at once. And 3 motherboards. You never know.. you might get lucky and have it working already the fifth time.

G

I cant give you much more info than I already gave. Im not sure myself, and never tried. I have read several posts on the issue (i think it was on aces') with a link to the amd website that stated that reinstallation was mandatory.

Some seemingly knowledgeable posters also affirmed reinstallation was a must to fully unlock the AXP potential.

For all I know, it could just as well be that perhaps only MediaPLayer and the like will not be able to benefit from the SSE.. I have no idea.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Checked the Ace's upgrade article and no mention. Did a quick scan of their forum and didn't see anything recently, althougj it wasn't a very determined scan.

I guess I'll keep my eyes open and see what anyone else has to say on the subject.

Smilin

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
---------
My only complain has to be CPU temperature, and was hoping maybe all you Athlon XP users could share your average Idle CPU temp, and your CPU Cooling solution. (Mine sits on 50 Degrees Average with the case closed, 45 with it open). I'm currently looking into a new Cooling solution, as well as a way of working around that whole "CPU Frying instantly if fan fails" thing. Without purchasing a new Mainboard, or silly little addon board.
------------

You guys worry WAAAAY to much about heat and the Athlon. The thermal limit is 90-95 celcius. Most I've seen run between 45-60. Just set your mobo to shut down at 75 and you're set. The on-motherboard thermal diode isn't as responsive as the (basically unused) on-die thermal diode.

Tom did that nifty video of an athlon smoking when he removed the heatsink....well, he removed the !@#$!$ heatsink! Duh.

If your fan fails it is an entirely different story. Without a fan the CPU will reach thermal limit slowly enough for thermal protection to work. The fan keeps the heatsink cool, the heatsink keeps the cpu cool.

I've personally never had ANY problems with AMD's. I wasn't using them back in the K6-2 days or anything so I can't testify to their performance back then. Once we get past 3Ghz the P4 is going to start to shine. I might jump back to Intel then but for now anyone with a brain should be using AMD.

My home PC's are AMD and my gaming rig beats the shiz out of this Intel Xeon I have at work for about half the cost. It's nuts.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
OK, I just consider a Mac, na <font color=red>If you go the Athlon XP way, make sure you buy 5 at once. And 3 motherboards. </font color=red> O your so right, I'd love to be able to stock up.

G

It would still be nice to have a more powerful fan, as well as something a little quieter.

My Dad keeps saying it's about to take off, and pretends to give it runway clearance... dumbass.

Also, if my motherboard were to have a feature to turn off my PC at a cerain temperature, where would I find it in the BIOS? My old Socket 370 Motherboatd appears to have this option, but I can't find it on this motherboard at all.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
<font color=red>not reinstalling the OS after a cpu upgrade </font color=red> Well, you got yours up, must not have to reinstall the OS. My 1800 XP should be in soon, I'm going update the BIOS, pop it in and check the MHz and see what happens. I don't foresee any problems. As for getting the most out of your system by doing it, I don't really buy it. Whenever you FDISK and format it's always like brand new. I game and want my system at it's peak, so I FDISK at least once a month. Unless you do a speed test or what ever kind of test, before and after you install XP would you know. But, like I said your system is always going to run better after a FDISK, ALWAYS? OK, unless you screw that up. But to say reinstalling the OS would make an XP CPU work, when it didn't before, doubt it. I haven't done it, so I'm not 100% sure. I started this POST to get a better ideal why people were having problems with the XP. If the mobo is not XP ready, and the power supply isn't enough, or the mobo isn't set up right, then it's the fault of the user for not being aware. From what I get you should be good to go, if your not having any problem. FDISK is up to you. I joke about the house burning, because he was an Intel fan and I rib him a little, just showing it goes both way.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I upgraded from a T'bird to an Athlon XP 1900+ without doing any reinstall of the OS. I don't know if it's necessary, but I think I'll just take my chances. Sandra Pro says I have SSE support and that's good enough for me. Maybe I'm missing out on some faster encoding of something, but I doubt I'll know the difference. Perhaps if I hear definitive proof that I have to reinstall, then I'll do it. I usually reinstall the OS every few months anyway, although that was with Win98SE. With Win XP I hope I'll be doing a little less reformatting.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>I paid a tech to put in a video card,..Paid to put it in, then take it out....Another time I paid 200 to have him put in a cheap 10G hard drive......<

LOL! I'm sorry but you are sooooooo stupid, LOL! I said I was sorry.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"