Connecting to base station w/ non-Microsoft adapter?

Last response: in Networking
Share
December 11, 2004 10:47:20 PM

I recently purchased a tablet PC and I would like to link
it to my home network. I have the Microsoft base station
and my other laptop has a Microsoft wireless adapter.
The laptop connects just fine, however, my Tablet PC has
an internal Intel wireless adapter. I have a strong
signal strength to my LAN but I can't connect to the
internet - how do I fix that?
Thanks for your reply.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 11:39:37 PM

Dustin, this really is a question for the microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc
newsgroup, however first make sure you've actually turned on the wireless.
Depending on which model Tablet PC you own, there may be a switch or button
to enable the wireless.

Then go into Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and scroll down the
list to nearly the bottom where you'll see Wireless Zero Configuration.
Right-click the entry, then select Properties. On the General tab, set the
Startup type to Automatic, then under Service Status, tap the Start button.
Tap Apply and then OK your way out, and restart the system.

Then go into Network Connections (could be on your Start Menu, or available
in Control Panel), and you should see the installed networking devices
listed, including Wireless Network Connection, which you can right-click and
select Properties to see your settings. Generally, you just set everything
to accept the feed from the router, but may need to put the WEP or WPA key
in before you can connect.

Also, right-click My Computer, select Properties and then go to the Computer
Name tab and you'll note a Workgroup listing. If it doesn't match that of
your network, tap the Change button, and on the resulting page you'll see
where you can change it.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Dustin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a tablet PC and I would like to link
> it to my home network. I have the Microsoft base station
> and my other laptop has a Microsoft wireless adapter.
> The laptop connects just fine, however, my Tablet PC has
> an internal Intel wireless adapter. I have a strong
> signal strength to my LAN but I can't connect to the
> internet - how do I fix that?
> Thanks for your reply.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 8:10:48 PM

Thank you - that helped.

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:02:12 PM

Very good. If you have any Tablet PC issues, please feel free to join us in
the newsgroup I posted previously.
--

!