new system

G

hey everyone,
this is my first post so if it is in the wrong forum then please guide me to the correct forum thanx.

i wanna buy a new system cuz the one i have now is my first and only system and honestly i cant take it anymore

i want a new system and i want a wicked system
money is no objective altho i dont wanna spend more than $3000 CAD

i want advice and opinions on everything
ram,cpu,mobo,burner,dvd,cdrom,video,sound,storage etc...

even cooling solutions

please any input is appreciated

thanx in advance

micro

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Get a system with an athlon xp 1900+ in it, the fastest cpu available today, if you dont plan to overclock, all you will need in the way of cooling is the retail heatsink and 1 case fan.

MOBO, anything from asus or abit rocks, make sure its ddr with a kt266a/sis735/amd760 or nforce chipset, AVOID ali magick and the kt266 origional as they suck.

Ram, www.crucial.com all you will ever need.

Video, depends, the radon8500 is powerful and rather cheap, but ati has a bad driver history and they cheated on quake 3(my moral objection) that having been said their latest drivers seem fine and they are genuinly trying to better their past issue, while still having some troubles in windows 2k and xp(small issues most likely) the card and its drivers seem faily strong.

That being said you should either get a 8500 or a gf3 ti 500. top of the lin graphics.

More to follow from others.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
XP processors suck as, and are very undependable. just take a few minutes and read other posts. Matisaro is a lemming who cant figure out after the fifth bad motherboard that there seems to be a problem... now he wants to recomend you a system... go figure

Get a Intel P4, you cannot go wrong. You will not be back here after purchase wondering whats wrong with your system like the thousands of other "please help" posts reguarding AMD XP processors. the XP is the biggest AMD failure to date and getting worse. Gaining clock speed, neglecting stability is the only way AMD can compete today with Intel.

Go with RDRAM, at least 512MB

ATI and NVIDIA both are good cards, the ATI 8500 has not matured enough yet but getting better as driver releases are fixing the major problems.

Avoid AMD, unless you want problems. Its a myth about saving money with AMD, its not true after you pay extra for FSU and PSU in an futile attempt to get your system to operate somewhat properly. god forbid you crack the fragile core in your attempts to diagnose the random lockups and reboots thinking your overheating and possible your HSF is not set properly. go ahead and test the fitting, rock that bad boy to see if there is play =) (hi cracked core)

Everything is built to Intel standards, AMD is not 100% Intel compatable or the box would say "Intel inside". very far from 100% more like 90% compatable.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Again, Fugger, AMDMeltdown and Intel_inside are arrogant, rude, and ignorant liars. Ignore everything they say. As you can see, they never have any hard facts to back up their wild claims.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Again, Fugger, AMDMeltdown and Intel_inside are arrogant, rude, and ignorant liars. Ignore everything they say. As you can see, they never have any hard facts to back up their wild claims.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"this is my first post"

The first thing you should know is that this thread is going to cause a huge flame war between those who prefer CPUs from different manufacturers. It has become much the same as the old Chevy vs. Ford wars. You will have to attempt to look past this. Take all the replies you get that offer an AMD solution and find the best information. Take all the replies you get that offer an Intel solution and find the best information. After you do this, take a moment to compare the two and make up your own mind. The AMD folks are very knowledgable about AMD solutions, but most know little about Intel solutions. The reverse is also true. The Intel folks are very knowledgable about Intel solutions, but most know little about AMD solutions. Therefore, you will have to pick through the nonsense of trash talk, figure out if the post is from an AMD or Intel perspective, and use it to help you configure a system based only on that company's processor.

"i want a new system and i want a wicked system"

Excellent. You have come to the right place.

"money is no objective altho i dont wanna spend more than $3000 CAD"

This is about US$1900. You can get plenty for this price.

"i want advice and opinions on everything ram, cpu, mobo, burner, dvd, cdrom, video, sound, storage etc... even cooling solutions"

Would you like to build your own system or have it factory configured with the parts of your choosing? You can build it yourself very cheap. Take a look at <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.resellerratings.com" target="_new">http://www.resellerratings.com</A> and browse through the listings for the best prices on the best hardware.

If you want to go the Intel route, get a Socket 478 Pentium 4 and a motherboard with an i850 chipset with RDRAM. For a video card I suggest either a GeForce 3 or a Radeon. For storage, IBM and Western Digital seem to make the fastest and largest hard drives.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
The AMD folks are very knowledgable about AMD solutions, but most know little about Intel solutions. The reverse is also true. The Intel folks are very knowledgable about AMD solutions, but most know little about AMD solutions.

Say what rayy??

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
kickass huh...
well this is what i reccomend.

1. start off with a decent case. lanli are good.
good cases are better designed and have better ventilation properties.
2. then a quality PSU. enermax 430W whisper.

3. go for a KT266A based mobo. toms just did a big review of them. check it out.

4. some 256 to 512Mb of PC2100 DDR ram. (256 if you want to save some cash) crucial, corsiar, kingmax, micron. all good brands. try to get Cas2, not Cas2.5, will run faster if u try to overclock.

5. Athlon XP 1700+ or 1800+ both are very fast, but the 1700+ is much more affordable at the moment.

6. heatsink... avoid orbs.
if you have adequate case cooling and are not overclocking, use the generic one.
want something a bit better? try a coolermaster, fop32-1, volcano 6cu.
if your planning on overclocking, and dont mind spending money on quality, i REALLY reccomend a swiftech MCX-462... best aircooler money can buy. excellent for overclocking. p.s. get the optional rheostat too, will save your ears alot.

7. graphics card. your choice. radeon 8500, geforce3 ti500, or a 200 if u wanna save some cash.

8. sound... audology card?

9. DVD... liton 16x or pioneer trayless 16x

10. burner... something 20 or 24x... plextor is regarded as the fastest

11. hard drives... IBM, WD, SEAGATE... your pic.
i personally like my 60GXP alot... although u may want to hold out for the newer 120gxp or equivalent from the other manufacturers.

12. monitor, viewsonic look good. 17" or 19"

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well said, Ray :)
If you want a purely unbiased opinion, come find me. J/k

I'll comment on what Poobaa has to say, because I have nothing better to do.

1. Lian-Li rocks

2. Enermax rocks

3. Abit KR7, if you're looking at KT266a. Too early to decide on nForce boards. If you're looking at P4, the TH7-II is an awesome board.

4. Crucial for DDR, Samsung for RDRAM (I believe, P4 owners want to comment on RDRAM brands?)

5. XP, P4, whatever you choose, just grab the fastest one you feel like dropping money on.

6. Ditto. Swiftechs are expensive. The Alpha Pal8045 is a good cheaper high-end choice. With either XP or P4, the retail heatsink will do you well if you're not overclocking.

7. Radeon 8500 and Ti500 are both great cards. Nice to see some real competition.

8. I believe he means Audigy. Creative Labs' most recent card, looks like they did a good job. I have a Hercules Game Theater XP and love it. Your call.

9. Pioneer 106s (16x slotload)

10. Plextor is NOT the fastest, contrary to popular belief. They are actually one of the slowest (from the reviews I've seen, at least), but are very good quality drives, and very compatible with lots of different media, etc.
I have a Teac and love it.

11. Hard drives are about the toughest choice in hardware ATM. I'm not going to recommend anything.

12. Viewsonic rocks

Forgetting anything? Nothing major.

13. Keyboard and mouse: Logitech...what's it called. The black wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse. I have the mouse, it's awesome.

14. Speakers: Doesn't matter if you're doing CAD, but Klipsch makes good computer speakers, and the Logitech Z560s are supposed to be good.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
you do know that he wants to speend no more than 3000 CAD?

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hey dont blame us!

not our fault the guy said two mutually exclusive statements.

i.e.
"money is no objective"
and
"i dont want to spend over 3000CAD"
so which is it hmmmm? :)

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Since reading Beware of the trolls, trust know one. I just find it strange that the Host ask for so much.
<font color=red> ram,cpu,mobo,burner,dvd,cdrom,video,sound,storage etc..even cooling solutions </font color=red>
A cdrom come on, a cooling solutions, please. A water cooler of coarse. haha
That is all. By the way has anyone seen the host lately?

defrage is child's play-fdisk

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
6. Ditto. Swiftechs are expensive. The Alpha Pal8045 is a good cheaper high-end choice. With either XP or P4, the retail heatsink will do you well if you're not overclocking.

Spread the word my child.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wait...I'm your son? Then who's my dad?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>