Minor Upgrade

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Well, my PC is turning 6 months old next month which means it's time for a minor upgrade to keep it top of the line. I have 600CDN to work with. I'm thinking of getting a second 40GB WD 7200RPM Hard drive and setting up a RAID as well as a Radeon 8500 to improve my graphics performance. I have an Abit KT7A (no RAID). Should I get a new motherboard with RAID (and perhaps DDR) or get a Promise RAID card and upgrade my mobo and CPU 6 months later?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
get a Promise RAID controller card. this way you can save later by buying a non-RAID board, and you can even switch platform (to Intel) if you choose, retaining the RAID card.

save a little for a later CPU upgrade, you board looks fine right now. later you can upgrade to a DDR board with a faster processor.

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
"Girlish", sorry Girish wrote:

"and you can even switch platform (to Intel) if you choose, ..."

Wise guy, getting ready for the real stuff. :)

/Copenhagen

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hey, why not? I'll go with a Northwood later, if they live up to the hype. Right now, I'll stick with my AMD platform.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

FatBurger

Illustrious
Copenhagen, why do you insult someone when you're agreeing with their post?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

AMD_Man, I would get a PCI RAID controller, a second HD and maybe a new graphics card if you need fast graphics performance. I wouldn't bother with a new mobo with RAID, as someone else said: you can use a seperate controller card with any mobo.
As for the new CPU, it isnt really worth it. I still have a P3 500 and use it for very intensive tasks like compiling, video editing (Video editing without RAID is very sloooow) rendering etc... I am not going to buy a new system until Brookdales are at 2.5GHz+. Then I will decide which CPU to buy, AMD or Intel, whichever one suits me best( the fastest hopefully :) ).
Remember also that when upgrading a mobo or memory like that, you are left with redundant parts - unless you have a use for them. If you go with a RAID controller card and a 2nd HD you get left with no spare parts, double the HD space (well, double if you use a striped array), a seperate RAID controller that is not stuck on your mobo and a nice performance boost.

PS
What do you use your system for?

<font color=red>Cyrix 166 + 8MB RAM + 14k baud + 300MB HD + Lynx under MS-DOS...</font color=red><font color=green> Jealous?</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Good response, but purposefully changing someone's name in any way is insulting in most circumstances. If you called me FatNuts or something (don't ask why I thought of that, I don't know), then that would be insulting. If you called me Fatty, that could also be insulting (based on your intent). If someone else I know better called me Fatty (and many do), or FatNuts (and nobody does), then it's insulting.

I could be wrong, but I haven't observed the type of relationship between you and girish that would warrant calling him Girlish.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
No insult intended FatBurger, but if you replace that g with an n, you get FatBurner!

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
FatBurger wrote:
"..., but purposefully changing someone's name in any way is insulting in most circumstances."

You are probably right, but the rest of my post doesn't confirm the assumption you make about me insulting Girish.

You know, it's just the name Girish (which I initially thought was a psudoname) that gives me the association Girlish.

I know now that Girlish is from India, and he/she is using his/her real name. I didn't know that, because most people use psudonames. Sorry about that Girish. No offence intended, at most a little teasing.

/Copenhagen

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I'd get the RAID card and then upgrade the MB later.

Getting the RAID card now instead of an integrated one means you won't have to worry about it posibly for several upgrades to come.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

FatBurger

Illustrious
It was also the condescending way you complimented him on "getting ready for the real stuff", but no big deal. Girish hasn't commented though, and if it doesn't bother him, it doesn't bother me.

G

Huh?
your pc is only 6 month old and you are planning to upgrade it

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes...I didn't exactly buy the most top-of-the-line parts 6 months ago so now I'm making a couple of upgrades to complete my investment. Plus, computers are my hobby. I'm planning on working over the holidays and make a bit of money to upgrade.

G

then save 800cnd
BTW i was thinking about upgrading my system , but then i decided to wait untill next year.
BTW WHAT's your system spects Amd Man

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
My current system specs:

AMD Athlon-C 1.2GHz overclocked to 1.33GHz (266MHz bus)
GlobalWin WBK38 + 2 case fans + PCI slot fan
Abit KT7A
256MB Micron CL2 RAM (might upgrade to 512MB)
40GB WD 7200RPM Western Digital
Asus V7100 Pro 32MB GeForce2 MX-400 (200/200 default, overclocked to 260/260)
Linksys Network Card
ATI TV Wonder
Windows XP Home Edition
Office XP Pro
(all retail LEGAL editions)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
Altec Lansing ACS54
Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro
Microsoft TrackBall Optical
Logitech Gamepad
Xerox XE88 Digital Copier/Laser Printer
NEC FE950+

I bought all this stuff 6 months ago except for Windows XP which I bought 3 weeks ago (I had Windows Me before)

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Man on 12/01/01 02:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Uncle_joe

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Girish is right, RAID card will save you money later.

Don't forget that when you buy mobo, buy one with DDR. It will improve performance.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I also believe the second 40GB WD 7200RPM Hard drive and the Promise RAID card would be the best choice for now. It will give you something to experiment with till you decide about the next upgrade. You may want to stay with AMD or might want to go the Intel route when Northwood arrives. Hobbies are almost like money pits.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
RUH ROH!

just mentioning the title "fatnuts" has forever open the floodgates ;)

lol j/k

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!