How do you equip the cops and soldiers in your fantasy cam..

I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.

How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
adventurers and elite troops?

Charleson Mambo

To confuse, inveigle, and obfuscate.
<spam> www.accanthology.com Buy "The Alt.Cyberpunk.Chatsubo Anthology" </spam>

Charleson Mambo wrote:
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?

City Patrol - padded armor, clubs, short swords. These guys are
out mingling with the public, they can't be too overbearing.

Guards - Leather armor, spears, swords, helmets, shields. These
guys are keeping people out of places they should not be, so they
need to be intimidating.

Anything more, and you are talking about a military occupation of
some sort.

willie

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004

"Charleson Mambo" <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?
Guard: full armor, a bastard sword, a shield, and a crossbow.
Patrol: studded leather or chain, shortsword, dagger, crossbow or shortbow
Mix in healing potions, AC rings, and alchemy items only as needed. They are
too expensive to just be sitting out for all to see on a few cops and
grunts.
Maybe the Captain and patrol leader could have one of the above.

decalod85 wrote:
> Charleson Mambo wrote:
> > I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> > watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
> >
> > How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> > adventurers and elite troops?
>
> City Patrol - padded armor, clubs, short swords. These guys are
> out mingling with the public, they can't be too overbearing.

You obviously don't live in the USA.

Charleson Mambo wrote:
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?

I don't have this written down anywhere, but my basic, human city
watchman is usually dressed in light armor with obvious insignia, and
carrying a club and perhaps a sword, polearm, and/or a crossbow,
depending on duty. Every guardsman also has some kind of signal device;
usually a whistle for patrols and a horn, bugle and/or bell for the
gate watch. Lanterns, obviously, for night patrols. Everything
(standard issue) that a watchman carries is stamped, branded or
engraved with the Watch's insignia, unless they have "plain clothes"
duty.

Many guards will also carry items that aren't standard issue, but help
them do their jobs or simply make life easier. Lockpicks or a skeleton
key, chalk, torches/candles, flint and steel, pipe and tobacco, flask
of spirits, dice/deck of cards, etc.

They also have access to other items in their guard towers for special
situations. This includes manacles, chains, wagons, nets, tools, small
battering rams, logbooks and notebooks w/stylus and ink, tanglefoot
bags, caltrops, telescopes or field glasses, braziers and smoke powder,
heavy armor and shields, potions, and other low-grade magic if the city
is wealthy enough.

--
Jay Knioum
The Mad Afro

"Charleson Mambo" <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?
>

> Charleson Mambo

That depends on the kingdom in my world.

In the main land kingdoms, most Watch members wear a light armor of
some sort,
carry a long sword or a short sword, and a small shield. Ranged
weapons are
optional for most standard Watch.

Elite Watch: Carry most of the same things, but they tend to be
masterwork, or
even minor enchantments. The enchanted weapons aren't normally
supplied by
the kingdom unless the unit is exceptionally elite.

Standard soilders: Are equipped with leather armor. They have either
long sword,
Spear, or short sword. Many have shields.

Standard archers: Longbows, leather or padded armor. Short sword for
melee issues.

Elite Archers: Longbows, leather armor. Short swords for melee, and
10-20 minorly
enchanted arrows, for use in extreme situations.

Standard Horse mounted: Leather armor, long spear, mace or club for
melee. Light
Warhorse

Elite Horse: Breast plates, long spear or lance, long sword. Heavy
Warhorse or Light
Warhorse. Occasionally not even a horse, some other mount is possible.
Masterwork
items, or minor enchantments. Once again enchantments are on a limited
basis.

Special Forces will have to wait until I get home, I lost track of
time and I gotta get to
work.

Charleson Mambo wrote:
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?

Well I equip them per my NPC document (basically what the DMG does for
PC classes, only for NPCs) on my web site based on their level.

Generally local militia/cops are 1st to 3rd lv. Army (walls, city
external defence) are 3rd to 5th. And elite (noble guards, knights,
etc) are 5th to 7th. All of those tending toward the lower end of the
listed levels.

- Justisaur
http://justisaur.rpgpit.com

Charleson Mambo wrote:
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?

Regular police (aka military tasked to urban patrol) and wilderness
patrols have standard NPC quality gear (and most are level 1 wariors),
except that the unit commander gets a bracelet of friends with one of
the charms calling HIS commander, and any others calling other people
(lower level units tend to be issued bracelets with few charms left).

In turn the more senior commander has a bracelet calling HIS commander,
ext....

There are some risks and costs involved, but the gains in speed of
responce are just too useful to ignore. Beats the heck out of whistles.

DougL

Depending on city size and wealth.

Constables: 2 Man Squad, Leather armor, dagger and club.

City Watch: 6 Man Squad. Leather, Studded Leather, or Ring. 4 fighters
armed with Long or short sword, dagger, club, and shield. 2 Light crossbow
or short bowman.

City guard: 10 Fighters armed with Chain mail, shield, long sword, dagger.
+ 4 Heavy Crossbow men. (May have mounted troops as well)

Wall Guard: Fighters armed with Chain or Plate, Long sword, 2 handed sword
or Pole arm and dagger. + Bowmen armed with Heavy Crossbow or Longbow and
short sword.

Palace Guard: Plate, Field Plate or Full Plate, Long Swords, Dagger,
Shields, Pole arms. + Crossbowmen armed in chain carrying short swords
and heavy crossbows.

Country Patrol Mounted Heavy: 1 Officer in Plate or field plate with
longsword and lance, 8 Fighters in Plate armed with long swords and lance
or horse mans mace/hammer and lance. 4 Mounted Archers in chain with light
bows or cross bows.

Country Patrol Mounted Light: 1 Officer in chain or plate with longsword
and spear, 8 Fighters in Chain or leather armed with longwords and spears
or horse mans mace/hammer and spear. 2 Mounted Archers in leather with
light bows or cross bows.

Country Patrol Foot: 1 officer or Sargent in chain armed with Longsword
shield and dagger. 10 Fighters in Chain or leather, armed with long
swords, daggers and shields. + 4-6 Lightly armored Archers or crossbowmen.

On Tue, 03 May 2005 20:10:56 -0400, Charleson Mambo
<mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
>watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.

The standard would be short clubs and minimal armour for goons only
intended to keep the civilian populace in mind. A "militia" is a
defensive military force, usually self equipped so it depends on what
the locals like to use.

Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote in

> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the
> city watch (ie police force),

Studded leather. Sergeants and officers have chainmail available
(but usually wear leather) as well as masterwork or mildly
enchanted weaponry. Typical weapons will be clubs and shortswords.
Of course, there will be one or two who have special items like
family heirlooms or are ex-adventurers and have a significant
panoply of items - that corporal may in fact be a 9th level
fighter wearing Glamered Plate Mail +3 and a rather nasty sword.

> and for the city's militia.

Whatever they have available - some will have full plate, others
nothing.

I suspect, however, you mean the troops of the local potentate.
Rank-and file will have chain shirts or chainmail. Officers will
have normally wear chainmail but have heavier armour available.
Again, officers are more likely to wear enchanted armour and bear
enchanted weapons.

Chris Hayes wrote:
> decalod85 wrote:
> > City Patrol - padded armor, clubs, short swords. These guys are
> > out mingling with the public, they can't be too overbearing.
>
> You obviously don't live in the USA.

Yes I do. Contrast the armament of our police and our
military. More armor, greater killing power carried by
the troops (grenades, automatic weapons).

Pick the right tools for the job. You don't need plate
armor and bastard swords to deal with 1st level commoners
so what mayor or lord in his right mind would pay for it?

decalod85 wrote:
> Chris Hayes wrote:
> > decalod85 wrote:
> > > City Patrol - padded armor, clubs, short swords. These guys are
> > > out mingling with the public, they can't be too overbearing.
> >
> > You obviously don't live in the USA.
>
> Yes I do. Contrast the armament of our police and our
> military. More armor, greater killing power carried by
> the troops (grenades, automatic weapons).

Uh, I was actually in the Army as an artilleryman. When walking on
foot, soldiers carried about the same firepower wise as the average cop
does. Just what do they need M-16s and shotguns in their trunks for?
The average cop in the US is equipped for war, plain and simple. The
US Government's even declared war on the US citizen: the War on (Some)
Drugs.

> Pick the right tools for the job. You don't need plate
> armor and bastard swords to deal with 1st level commoners
> so what mayor or lord in his right mind would pay for it?

I concur. I often ask myself why exactly our tax dollars are paying
for small suburbs with no murders (like my area and county, DuPage,
which sits near Chicago) to have SWAT teams. DuPage County is a small
one, has virtually non-existant violent crime, no gang activity, and
yet has not only a Sheriff's SWAT team, but at least six other
munincipal SWAT teams assigned to individual towns. Just what do they
need all that firepower for?

Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> abagooba zoink larblortch

> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> adventurers and elite troops?

The word today is "cheap". Grunts get the short end of the equipment
stick. They probably deserve better than leather armor, a pot helmet, and
a polearm, but that's all the cheapskates in charge will give them. Grunts
tend to be in places where the central authority handles safety.

Citizen's patrol groups will be armed according to their own wealth. In a
middle-class area, the militia/watch will likely have some plate on their
chests and heads, with better-quality weapons. But they only practice once
a week, if that much.

On 3 May 2005 19:13:40 -0700, "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Charleson Mambo wrote:
> > I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
> > watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
> >
> > How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
> > adventurers and elite troops?
>
> City Patrol - padded armor, clubs, short swords. These guys are
> out mingling with the public, they can't be too overbearing.
>
> Guards - Leather armor, spears, swords, helmets, shields. These
> guys are keeping people out of places they should not be, so they
> need to be intimidating.
>
> Anything more, and you are talking about a military occupation of
> some sort.

Until not so very long ago the difference between The Law and The Army
was what title the officer in charge was working under at the time.
Not so long before that there was no important difference at all.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

In article <hibh719u586rha4s4t6sihrjas306jvbi0@4ax.com>,
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>Until not so very long ago the difference between The Law and The Army
>was what title the officer in charge was working under at the time.
>Not so long before that there was no important difference at all.

Hence, I think, terms like "Armsman" and "Gens d'armes" -- those allowed to
carry weapons in the city.

In article <mambospam1-AE8ECE.20105603052005@ispnews.usenetserver.com>,
Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote:
> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
>watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>
> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
>adventurers and elite troops?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tanglefoot bags, Thunderstones
and Holy Water. I could see these as available as standard for an
elite city guard, along with a few kept at each watch house for
special occasions.
--
Michael
NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

Mr. M.J. Lush <mlush@hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <mambospam1-AE8ECE.20105603052005@ispnews.usenetserver.com>,
> Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> wrote:
>> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
>>watch (ie police force), and for the city's militia.
>>
>> How do you equip your cops and grunts? What gets reserved for
>>adventurers and elite troops?

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tanglefoot bags, Thunderstones
> and Holy Water. I could see these as available as standard for an
> elite city guard, along with a few kept at each watch house for
> special occasions.
> --
> Michael
> NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

*I'm* surprised nobody has mentioned saps yet. Doesn't anybody out
there believe in taking prisoners alive anymore? :) (I suppose
nets would also come in handy, but since D&D classes those as
exotic weapons, that's one feat less to put elsewhere if you want
to have your grunts be able to use them without the pesky -4 to hit
and doubled refolding time...)

--
Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
#include <disclaimer.h>

stefan

For my game, the city guard usually has whatever is appropriate to
their task and level. Some of the rank and file wear chainmail or
scalemail --- some will wear something cheap like leather or padded.
Depends on the relative wealth of the town, how much trouble is
expected, etc.
Most will be armed with spears, halbards, crossbows, etc. Since its a
fantasy world, some patrols will be accompanied by low level mages or
clerics.
In times of trouble, the watch might have specialized equipment --
flasks of holy water, flasks of alchemists fire, silver tipped crossbow
bolts, etc. For good inspiration, read any of Leiber's Lankhmar
stories or Terry Pratchett's "Guards, Guards, Guards!"
I have also used some specialized guards and patrols in my fantasy
games. They might have magic arms and armor or special abilities
(cleric, ranger, etc.) but are very rare.

Charleson Mambo <mambospam1@prtc.net> typed:

> I'm looking for sugestions for appropiate equipment for the city
>watch (ie police force),

Regular cop (1st or 2nd Warrior): armour from nothing up to studded;
sap or light mace; possible buckler; shortsword or light crossbow.
Dagger. Rope to restrain captives, a sack to put over their heads if
required. Misc bits and pieces.

In the more dangerous areas and at each watch house, a backup squad of
4 regulars with spears and shields, a 3rd level sergeant (studded,
longsword, xbow) and a 1st-2nd level caster. This is usually a cleric,
but might be a wizard. Spells will be CLW, Command, Comp Lang, Sleep,
Color Spray, Charm Person Unseen Servant, Animate Rope and the like.
Crowd control, utility and arrest spells. If there's no cleric, the
sergeant will have a potion of CLW. If no wizard, he may have a
tanglefoot bag or other gimmickry. One or two of these people might be
mounted. There may be a dog or three.

Depending on who is paying for it, guards will get armour up to splint
(but scale is more likely). Long or short sword, large shield, spear
or halberd.

>and for the city's militia.

They'll have what they can bring themselves, plus the minimal cheap
weaponry supplied by the local lord. So spear, dagger & shield or some
type of agricultural polearm. Armour will usually be padded with a few
having something better, up to chainmail (though those will be the
more experienced ones with spoils of previous campaigns).

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Sorry for not answering sooner or more directly. Thanks for all the
feedback, it's been most helpfull.

A bit of the background: Late medieval/early rennaisance fantasy
world culture figures out that their world goes through cycles of
creation and destruction. Every so often the magic of the world fades
away and reality itself disolves into utter timeless chaos only to be
reborn anew.

In a bid to allow themselves (their culture really) to survive they
build a few secret cities inside mountains shielded with their most
powerfull magics so they can float in the unrealness till the world
reshapes itself around them. A kind of magical generation ship.

The game started with the city's "landing" and the players are now
exploring the "new world".

Here's how I've decided to outfit "The City's" police and (mostly
vestigial) military.

The Watch (ie police): Unarmored uniforms and billyclubs most of the
time. (And tanglefoot bags as well.) With padded armor versions of the
uniform for rough neighborhoods (with leather armor available for
officers). Mostly non-lethal weapons unless the situation forces their
hand. A few medium armors, swords and crossbows available if they need
to outfit a squad for some "SWAT" mission (ie if they need to rush into
a building where known criminals have baricaded themselve for example).

The Guard (military): Having been "bottled" up for so long has
reduced the army to a few guys trying to keep military traditions and
techniques alive. Their only real job (for now) is keeping people out of
certain places and acting as honor guards for the Council of Sages on
ceremonial occasons. (Based on decidedly medieval doctrines, a core of
"real" soldiers with some riffraff drafted in to fill out the
battlefield so the painters will have a satisfyingly full field of
battle to conmemorate later.)

Marking a door as off limits: Chainmal or a breastplate. Big showy
plumes in their helmets, serious looking pole weapon, maybe a shield and
a sword (that they better not take out of the scabard without serious
provocation).

Ceremonial Occasions: Lightly built plate armor (lot less AC than it
looks) but very colorfull/richly decorated. Really big feathers and
plumes on the helmets.

Seriously Keeping People Out: A couple of beefy guys in full plate
with shields and longswords or bastard swords standing out in the open.
And sneaky guys and hidden bowmen well out of sight.

Arcane Magic: While the city was in transit magic ran off
concentrated liquid mana, so it was dangerously unstable. But if magic
was need to solve a problem the Sages would certainly make the neccesary
arrangements.

Divine Magic: A few gods placed traveled with their beleivers by
"sleeping" within shrines or holy relics. So few clerics ever manifested
all that much power, but the clerics of one or two religions (LG, old
martial and lawkeeping traditions) would have felt duty bound to join
(or at least assist) both the Watch and the Guard.

Militias: now that the city has landed and people are going out to
start new towns and cities the old rule allowing "Lords" to raise
militias will probably be used to raise the old "Regiments" (If in a
rather Pratchettian manner as in "Jingo". So they'll be badly trained
(if at all), and equiped cheaply but colorfully.) by both the old "noble
families and by upstarts looking to become nobles.

There is the possiblity of a profesional (modern) army being started
some day, but for now there's only a few untraditional students of
military history/techniques even thinking of such things.

[...]

ps Sorry if this shows up twice, first one seem to have vanished into
the aether.

Klaus Mittag wrote:
> *I'm* surprised nobody has mentioned saps yet. Doesn't anybody out
> there believe in taking prisoners alive anymore? :)

What's "alive" mean? :)

> (I suppose nets would also come in handy, but since D&D classes those as
> exotic weapons, that's one feat less to put elsewhere if you want
> to have your grunts be able to use them without the pesky -4 to hit
> and doubled refolding time...)

Given how most grunts on patrol or doing guard duty are locals, you can make a
case for a free regional feat like they have in FR.
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk ..."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>