Hardware doesnt support software

Ulthrik

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I just installed windows 7 Ultimate which automatically comes with directx11 but my videocard is an AGP graphics card and I do not beleive it supports all directx11 capabilities and causes certain games to freeze while playing is there a way to down grade to directx9.0c which is the hishest x driver my graphics card supports i beleive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Windows won't try to force features the card doesn't support. Most likely cause for your issues is a dirty GPU sink or bad GPU fan bearing.

Ulthrik

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Never thought about that but I just figured it was a driver feature, I never have problems with any other video game or graphic heavy program and under the windows 7 action center feature it said something about my card only supporting directx9.0c and it was having some sort of software issue. Im not sure how to pull up old action center issues or I would post it, new to windows 7

Ulthrik

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Ha right after I sent that last message I found it
Upgrade your Display Adapter
This problem occurred because your video card doesn't support the required version of DirectX. This version of Windows requires a video card that supports DirectX 9.0 or newer.

What are the system requirements for this version of Windows?

Click to go online to the Windows 7 system requirements
To search for similar devices that are compatible with this version of Windows, go online to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center:

but the compatability center didnt help at all. Im running a Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS video card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Try downloading new drivers from www.nvidia.com?

Ulthrik

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Yes the scan was according to Nvidias graphics card scanner/auto downloader. The Freeze only happens when I try playing the game Heroes of Newerth Ive redownloaded it, run it in compatability modes and it still freezes randomly while playing.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If your video drivers are current, then I would suggest you look at the chipset drivers next. If you installed Windows 7 with its default drivers, you may be seeing issues with the chipset itself. What motherboard (make/model) are you using? If you know the chipset the motherboard uses (Via, SiS, Nvidia, Intel, Uli, AMD/ATI, etc) you may be able to download and install more current chipset drivers, potentially helping with your problem. Worth looking into...Good luck.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go to viaarena.com to download the most current VIA Hyperion Pro Driver Package drivers. It doesn't list Win 7 support but VIA forums suggest these will work. Installing will update the AGP system files and may fix the stuttering you are seeing. That is an old chipset/motherboard and I remember having issues similar to yours when I had VIA based systems in the past. Good luck.