A Big reason why i dont want a Windows eXPerience!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
have a look at this link, and check out the picture link.

<A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com/cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1006882598,84836," target="_new">http://www.guru3d.com/cgi-bin/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1006882598,84836,</A>

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

dhlucke

Polypheme
There is no translation of the reply. What's your point?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
isnt there? ah heck...
hmmm

well i just dislike microsoft knowing all my personal details.... or anybodies for that matter

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
There is no translation of the reply. What's your point?
are we reading the same article? i don't even know a word in german, but from what was written/translated in english, and that pic. i clearly put 2 and 2 together. between MS and the US gov, in 5-10 years i wouldn't be surprised if we're issued out barcodes for each person. then have random scans to see where we've gone, talked to, etc.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I have a retail version but I got rid of the activation anyways.

Yes, I could look at the table but it didn't bother me. You don't have to submit any of that information. It's up to you if you want to be catalogued. All microsoft gathers is your hardware information by hashing key components in your system. I find that bad enough as it is though.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The U.S. and several other governments are trying to find a way to track ALL citizen's movements, under the banner of "preventing terrorism", without alarming privacy advocates. It would be VERY helpfull if they could also track our purchases, in order to asses whether certain puchases could be construed as bomb making/toxin producing materials.
Europe is already standardizing currancy and working toward a universal European government. Eventually many people would like to see the "smart card" taken to the next step, using it as a universal ID and a purchasing card.
The problem is that cards can get stolen. To that end, ID measures such as retinal scans, etc, are being considered as the next step beyond smart cards. This requires a database of all citizens and all purchases/earnings. Those are the facts.

But the religious right would have us believe that eventually, people will simply be labled, because it's easier to implement than retinal scanning and more convienient. And they say that you will be able to get "the mark of the beast" on your right hand or forhead. Furthermore they see an eventual world government, with 7 leaders representing various districts, these are the "7 heads of the beast"

When you look at the facts, the warnings of the religious right look more and more realistic, instead of paranoid.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Conqueror

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001
Thats's very true Crashman. I think that this thing about tracking is already in place. When we buy something using our credit cards, the responsible authorities know exactly who we are, what we purchased, what our interests are. This in turn gives them the idea of what people want, and they meet the demands of people. Very soon, money will be totaly replaced by just credit cards. Then it will be very easy for them to track what people do with themselves.

Anyway, I got Windows XP with my new computer. It's not much different from Windows 2000 except that they added a bit more security to it. I still haven't activated it yet though, and I don't know whether I have to do it.

One thing I noticed it that the OS doesn't recognise all copied software. I got a lot of copied games, and some of them (not all) don't seem to work even after applying cracks to them.

Did you hear about this Japanese guy (I think) who cracked the code for Windows XP, so that after you apply it, you don't need to activate it. It was in the news on TV.

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>

G

Just *another* reason to switch from M$ to another OS.
Of course, you could always just get XP 2600 build, the Devils Own release. I am also pretty sure that product activavtion only exists on the Home Edition of XP, could somebody second this or am I going nuts?

Got XP with your new PC? Why not get the warez verson, it is freely downloadable and doesnt have product activation. Phone the vendor of your PC, tell them that you dont want XP, say it doesnt live up to your expectations or other crap that is in the guarantee. Say that you want to be refunded the cost of XP. Then send them back the retail XP and use the cracked version. Dont worry about the ethics here, it is no different to the ethics of M$. You could spend the cash on that little upgrade that you were thinking about or whatever
:D
<font color=red>Cyrix 166 + 8MB RAM + 14k baud + 300MB HD + Lynx under MS-DOS...</font color=red><font color=green> Jealous?</font color=green>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you have crack? can i have some :)
something using our credit cards, the responsible authorities know exactly who we are, what we purchased, what our interests are. This in turn gives them the idea of what people want, and they meet the demands of people.
well if that's the case, why don't i get more "fat bitches in leather" magazines in the mail! :tongue:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Did you hear about this Japanese guy (I think) who cracked the code for Windows XP, so that after you apply it, you don't need to activate it. It was in the news on TV.

That crack has been around since before RC1. The real accomplishment would be deciphering the activation code so you can create your own instead of contacting Microsoft. But if you can get rid of activation altogether, there is no need.

I am also pretty sure that product activavtion only exists on the Home Edition of XP, could somebody second this or am I going nuts?

You're not nuts, but you're also wrong. The Professional version does have activation, at least the OEM version does. Course, that's coming from a friend of mine who walks around with his head in the ground most of the time. Wait, if he had his head in the ground, how...nevermind.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Chrispix272

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2001
I got a "hacked" version of winxp. I had to go through a weird burning process to get it to burn though. I havent installed it yet on my computer, but my friend used this disc to install it on his computer and it works find with NO registration required. i also got win2k pro, win2k server, win2k advance server to boot. But the the best and biggest deal is i can get the sh*t legal for only $25! Wisconsin Student Integrated Software Catalog www.wisc.net because i am a student. i am not trying to brag about it... anyone can just download the hacked stuff, i am just trying to point out alternatives to the microsoft registration crap.

The more you tighten your grip, the more people will slip through your fingers.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
after that last pic, it's hard to image what you must get in your email, hehe. i thought professional and corporate versions were one and the same? i know the corporate version has always been activation free.