System crashes

G

Hello everybody !!
My computer crashes when i browse pictures with ACDSee... I am nearly sure that it's an hardware problem... I have changed all my peripherals (videocard, soundcard, network, cd-rom drive,...) and RAM. Unfortunately, the crashes are allways present !! In fact the screen is freezing and i have no more control on mouse... I have already reinstalled Windows 98... I think that it might be the CPU (maybe the motherboard ?) but i am not sure. Somebody can help me ??? The CPU is an AMD K6-500. Thanks... Mousspepi (sorry but i am a french-speaking man => sorry for the english writing...)

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. JUST acdc? what about browsing pics using a different program.

i while back before my new computer i too used acdc on 98, and yes, it crashed a fair bit too. i found a software update alleviated most of my problems.

do u get crashes doing other things? if so... what?

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. JUST acdc? what about browsing pics using a different program.

i while back before my new computer i too used acdc on 98, and yes, it crashed a fair bit too. i found a software update alleviated most of my problems.

do u get crashes doing other things? if so... what?

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
K6-500? I don't think the original K6 went to 500. Do you mean K6-2 or K6-3, perhaps?

Also, what motherboard chipset is in this system? ALi? VIA? SiS?

How old is this system, and how old is the CPU? Out of dozens upon dozens of systems, both AMD and Intel, I have never seen a CPU die or misbehave because of old age. A lot of other people have the same experience. If you just installed the thing, though, you might need to adjust your CPU core voltage--Socket7 CPUs can't auto-set their proper voltage.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

G

No, in fact the problem exists also with others softwares but only "graphic" softwares like Photoshop or others... In fact the screen shows only a part of the picture and the system crashes... but only after a few pictures... The first ones are showing good but after 5-10 pictures ... CRASH !!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm curious.
doesnt crash if u play graphical games?
that would rule out the graphics card (i hope)

possible operating system/ hard drive interface issue when loading perhaps...
hard to tell.

G

Yes i know... It's a K6-2 ;0)
It's an ALI chipset. I have this PC for two years now and it's the first problem that i have. Don't worry about the core voltage.. it's correct !

G

In fact i never play graphical games... Maybe i should try... But in fact i replaced my TNT2 card with a GeForce2 MX one and the problem is still here.
I will try to re-install my hard-drive driver and i will see...