Computer Dead after installing AthlonB1.3

Thanatos00

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
I just installed a Brand new AthlonB 1.3GHZ on a MSI K7TPro motherboard. It worked perfectly, booting up first time with no problems, for the first 15 minutes. I tried various video tests including some high resolution movies and Quake3. Although I don't think it has to do with the problem, it crashed while i was in counter strike. The screen went completely black with no warning and that was it. I turned it off and dismantled it prepared to find a fried CPU (BTW i am using a volcano6cu+), but the CPU is perfectly fine. I installed my old Duron 600 and it has the same problem. This motherboard has diodes on it for just this occasion and they are all red as soon as the power is applied. They do not change at all. The manual says this is either motherboard or CPU. At this point i doubt it's the CPU. I was extremely carful when handling and installing the CPU and i know that it is not fried. Any help?

<font color=blue>- Studies show that the human brain approaches 100 percent retention. -</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well as u said the chip looked fine, and your using a good cooler.

u sure there were no heat discolourations, chips, or bulges around the edge of the core?
if no then it would ahve to be your motherboard.
besides, cpu frying happens fast, unless the fan fails on the heatsink.

and u have tried your duron and it didnt work either, so you have supplied your own solution.

as to WHY the mobo died... could be a number of things.
could just be a dud board, this does happen, and is more common than what i would like.
were all yoru voltages and jumpers set correctly?
are u using a decent power supply. an athlon 1.3 will consume much more juice than a duron 600. poor power could cauz something to fail.. (graspin at straws here)

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

Thanatos00

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
I was thinkin about the PSU, but why would it run for the first 15 min and then do ABSOLUTELY nothing after that? If it was the PSU then it would do SOMETHING... anything. The fans work and do not fluctuate in RPM. No jumpers needed to be changed. and remember, it ran for the first 15 min. I know that i basically answered my own question but i was preying that someone might have something that i havent tried. Thanks for the response!

<font color=blue>- Studies show that the human brain approaches 100 percent retention. -</font color=blue>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I personally doubt it's the processor--especially if the Duron responds in like fashion to the Athlon.

There is a chance that the increased power draw of the Athlon was more than the power supply could handle though. I've personally seen that situation take out a motherboard and nothing else--I lost a perfectly good 440LX motherboard when I added my RAID controller. It was also suspiciously like this scenario; the thing would take longer and longer to reboot, until one time it black-screened and never POSTed again.

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

Thanatos00

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
yeah you're right that sounds very close to what happened. Although it didnt take long to boot when it did boot. I only booted it twice after installing the new procesor tho. My PSU is generic so that could be it. I dont know what to replace first the motherboard or the PSU. I wonder if i can return all my stuff and just get a ddr system. I just bought brand new corsair pc133 cl2 512megs and the processor. if i knew this was going to happen i would have just gotten an xp with a ddr system and ddr ram. damn... i got screwed.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Have you take a look at the video card?

Sometimes the simples answerds are the wright ones...

Sorry for my spelling i'm french...hey i ain't perfect!

Thanatos00

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2001
the motherboard doesnt get to the point of initializing video of any kind. I know this because the diods stay all red, which means that the motherbaord is failing on the very first thing that it does. buy you're right, sometimes the simple answers are the right one's. thats why i am posting, i am hoping that i missed something.

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Hey i tryed...Check the voltage output of the PSU(in the motherboard manual you'll have every ATX pins voltage you need to know) then sorry to say but the m/b is a gonner...probably because of a low power PSU.

Sorry for my spelling i'm french...hey i ain't perfect!