BSOD Crashes *Updatedwith new build please comment*

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hey guys and gals, I've been scouring your forums looking for an answer to my current predicament. I've started getting BSOD's randomly here of late, and of course, it's right as I'm trying to finish up my semester in school. I went ahead and re-installed Windows 7 x 64 Home Premium, which only exaggerated the problem. Here is my dump files to-date. I realize they are all driver related so here is what I have done so far.....

I've run memory tests, all passing with flying colors, sfc /scannow causes BSOD after about 15%. Bluescreen viewer shows bug check strings as follows:
Driver_Irql_Not_Less_Or_Equal x 4
Bad_Pool_Header x1
Kmode_Exception_Not_Handled x1
Driver_Verifier_IOManager_Violation x 2
Bugcode_USB_Driver x 1

The D_I_N_L_O_E crashes all point to my L1C62x64 (Atheros Lan Controller), which I have uninstalled, and reinstalled to verify correct drivers are installed. (It is version 1.0.0.4 which is the latest out).
The B_P_H Crash Points to dxgkrnl.sys and ntoskrnl.exe drivers
The K_E_N_H crash which iirc has to do with memory cache
D_V_I_V crash Points to my HID compliant devices
B_U_D crash points at my usb devices.

That being said, I've gone through and checked, rechecked and uninstalled/reinstalled suggested problems to try and correct this, to no avail, so I'm posting here for help.

I have a suspicion that my motherboard may be going out, and simply may not have failed 100%, but I'm not 100% sure. I have an nvidia gtx 465 that runs hot, and by hot I mean HOT (read 90 degrees C under load) and I suspect it may have caused the mobo dmg from the heat.

The HDDS are 2 year old 500g's run in a Raid0
The Ram is 2 months old crucial ballistics DDR3 PC 10600 4Gig x2

I will be happy to run any test or try any suggestion you may be able to provide as I have about 2 weeks to get a paper done b4 the end of my semester, and this is making it virtually impossible. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

P.S. I've also posted this help request on another forum, and if I find the solution there I will post the results here as well.

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
System has been stable and running for about 3 hours now, so I tried opening league of legends, and after a few moments, I blue screened again, the same error as the last 4.

I pulled the video card out (uninstalling it first) and replaced it with an old nvidia card I had, and booted up, installed the correct drivers and tried League of Legends again. Same exact result.

I uninstalled that video card, and replaced my old one.

I tried removing my new ram, and placing an old (but still good) 2gig stick (crucial) in. Loaded league of legends. Again I crashed, but not at a moment of high video strain, or effects. Replaced with new ram.

I'm really at a loss here, could my CPU be causing this? I don't have an extra cpu for this socket, so I have no real way to test it.

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Does anyone have anything they could input here? I'm not trying to bump my own thread here, but after 72 views I figured I might have had a reply.

I am open to suggestions, and any advice. I will also be editing my original post's title to better reflect the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best regards

I doubt that it's a motherboard issue. 90C under load is about right for a 400 series card (they run hot). If it's running 90C at idle then you have a serious cooling problem on your hands. What is the make/model/rated capacity of your power supply? If it can't handle the load you can have all kinds of strange problems.

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
My PSU is a Thermaltake Black Widow 850w

It's a modular power supply and about 18 months old. Thanks for your reply!

P.S. 90 degrees was under load, it stays around 48 degrees idle

OK, I'll assume (yes I know what happens when you assume ;) ) that the PSU is working fine. I know you've run memory checks, but what did you use, and what was the methodology? Memtest86 is considered the benchmark tester. Flakey RAM can also cause random glitches. I'm assuming that you've also tried one revision older/newer on the video drivers?

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I used Memtest86. I don't remember where I downloaded it from, but I do remember it's what I used since everyone recommends it.

I did try going back one driver on the video card, and even replacing the video card, neither with any success.

I also tried different ram, which didn't resolve anything either

Well, we might be looking at a motherboard issue after all. However, it might be nothing more than adjusting voltages/timing in BIOS. The stock settings may not be quite right for your RAM/Processor. If you go this route make only one <small> change at a time, and test thoroughly. Proper tuning can take days/weeks of small tweeks. Use CPUZ to get the timings for your RAM.

As an aside, I recommend that if you're going to use RAID, use something other than level 0. If you lose one drive you lose the entire array (no redundancy).

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Question:

What would cause these to start showing up now, with the system being a few years old now and running flawlessly until recently with a misconfigured bios setting? I realize raid 0 isnt optimal and upon adding a third drive, I intend to switch to raid 5.

Also what bios setting would you suggest i start with, if im changing them?

What would cause these to start showing up now, with the system being a few years old now and running flawlessly until recently with a misconfigured bios setting?
Components values drift with age and heat exposure. They may have drifted just far enough to be out of the "sweet spot" now.

Also what bios setting would you suggest i start with, if im changing them?
I'd start with RAM. Try boosting the voltage 2 notches, then see if anything has changed. If your RAM is 1.5v then you should be able to go as high as 1.9v without a problem, other than the RAM will run hotter. Continue boosting until you reach 1.9v or the problem goes away. If you reach 1.9v and the problems continue, then lower back to 1.5v and move on to the RAM timings (where lower means "looser"). It can be a delicate balance.

I realize raid 0 isnt optimal and upon adding a third drive, I intend to switch to raid 5.
Attaboy!

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
I'd start with RAM. Try boosting the voltage 2 notches, then see if anything has changed. If your RAM is 1.5v then you should be able to go as high as 1.9v without a problem, other than the RAM will run hotter. Continue boosting until you reach 1.9v or the problem goes away. If you reach 1.9v and the problems continue, then lower back to 1.5v and move on to the RAM timings (where lower means "looser"). It can be a delicate balance.

Ok I started working with my RAM voltages... I got up to 1.9 and encountered a Test 7 error (1) in memtest86.

This is new, but I'm not sure what it means exactly. Here are the details:

Error Confidence Value: 200 (I get it, they're sure it's a real error)
Lowest error address: 00000100014 --1Mb
Highest error address: 00000000000 --0Mb
Bits in error: 00070000
Bits in error - Total 3 Minimum 3 Max 3 Avg 3
Max contiguous errors: 1

Test # Errors
1 0
2 0
3 0
4 0
5 0
6 0
7 1
8 0
9 0
10 0

OK, leave everything as it is and swap your RAM between channels:

Slot 0 > Slot 2
Slot 1 > Slot 3
Slot 2 > Slot 0
Slot 3 > Slot 1

Rerun the same test and see if the same error is detected, and if it's at the same address. If the address changes with the swap then you may have just found a flakey stick. The next step is to repeat on each stick individually in each slot. This takes a while but it's the only way to flush out any errors.

If the error remains at the same address then it could be a bad slot.

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

I'll start working on that now, it's only 2 sticks @ 4gig each, so I will move Slot 0 to slot 2, and slot 1 to slot 3 and re-run the test and check back

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
went to put memtest86 cd into a cd rom

Magically they are both gone. /facepalm

restart to bios

Primary not recognized. Shut down

Check cables and connections... Boot back up, same scenario... Shutdown

Re-check cables, removing them and reseating them... boot up, viola I have cd roms again.....

So... ran each stick individually in each slot to get past test 10

Zero errors on both slots................................................

To make matters worse, I loaded up league of legends just now to try and force a crash (it's been the one stable thing on this computer in the last week) and no bsod or crash....

Confuzzled...... Im going to load league again, and just let it run while my 4 year old clicks me all over the map... again, LoL causing bsod's has been the only stability my system has shown this last week... so who knows what's going on here...

usmarine1979

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Well, after a few days of *stability* (We'll call not getting bsod's stability), but random loss of optical drives, and random unlocking of 4 cores on my duo core black (I know this is a product of the update to bios I did a few months ago to allow my board to see my new ram), I've decided to just start fresh....

Here is my upcoming purchase, please tell me what you think, and if you have any suggestions:

Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey Silent Atx Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352022
(I'm buying 2 extra fans)

PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 LE 2 Gig (tahiti gpu)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131484

AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Sata 6Gb/s w/ USB 3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
(Comes with 8 "Free" Gigs of DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengence RAM)

Intel Core i-5 3570 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo boost) Quad Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115233

I'll be reusing my 850 Watt Thermaltake Black Widow Modular PSU
And LG DVD burner.

What do you think?