a short sotry

DanielR

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
yay, photoshop is an ass.. kept on freezing.. don;t know why and now my power supply blew.. alsmot takin my whole computer with it! got a new onw and nothing booted.. damn.. got another new one and my asus screamed at me.. need a new processor.. damn.. why did i buy a slot 1?

so now i need a new mobo and cpu

with my current hardware, ie sdram i don;t wanna buy a p4 becasue some people are telling me it doesn;t run as well with sd as it does with ddr(or rd, i can; remember which they make you use) and becasue at lower MHz p3 and atholons are faster.

so heres what i wanna get
p3 1 gig on a p3b board
athlon xp 1600+ or 1800+ on an i dunno what board.. bt mot likely asus ( i trust them too much i guess)

i think id rather get the athlon but im still a little scared of thier heat issues and don;t know what ther ram issue is with them whethre they will take my pc100 128, pc133 123 and pc133 256 chips.

and p3 well its a little slower then the athlons but i think much more reliable.

i need the expert opinions so i come you with my questions

i hope you can answer them!

thanks,
Daniel

who ever has the most ram when they die wins!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
If set up properly and athlon is just as reliable as any intel chip. (unless magical demons rip your heatsink off during your quake 3 gamimg).

The athlon xp 1600 is a great blend of price/performance.

Get the abit kr7-raid(kt266a) mobo and some nice crucial pc2100 ddr ram.

Very stable and blazing system.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

DanielR

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
heres the thing tho.. i don;t wanna buy new ram.. i wanna keep my old ram (a bad as that does sound) i don;t wnna buy new stuff when i don;t require it.. does theat abit mobo support old ram? or does another version of it...

some how i think that im getting the idea that asus isn;t the only mobo out there.. and that abit is also good.. hrmm...

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
The Abit KR7-RAID is undoubtedly the best Athlon platform out right now.

Regarding the RAM, why not just pick up some shiny new DDR RAM? It will cost you a grand total of around $50 for 256MB, probably less. That and trying to have backward compatability will force you to buy a much slower mainboard.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
If you want a real bargain with your existing parts, then get an IWill KK266Plus-RAID! It's one of the fastest motherboards (if not THE FASTEST) that support the Athlon and SDRAM. It also comes with high-quality 6-channel surround sound support (comparable to the SB live) and excellent overclocking capabilities as well as being an extremely stable board. My friend has one and he's able to overclock his 1.33GHz Athlon to 1.53GHz without increasing voltage and without extra cooling other than a Volcano 6CU+ (which is a bit loud but you can get a CU and get roughly the same temps).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

DanielR

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
OK...after a bit of research into the matter, im still unsure of what to get. but i know a lot more about this stuff.. gotta make decision soon!

thanks for the help

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
ECS K7s5A motherboard.

Make sure you get one that is XP certified.

This board will support both SDRam and DDR Ram

I believe it will work with either 100 or 200mhz RAM. Not sure bout that tho, or whether the slower ram will necessitate running the CPU slower or not. I tend to just plug...and pray ;)

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tiger230t.html" target="_new">Tyan Tiger 230T</A> = US$100
2 x PIII-700E = US$200 (for both)
Total = US$300

Run at 133 FSB = 933MHz per chip.

PhotoShop = Fast

- JW

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jclw on 12/01/01 08:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Frankly if I were you, I'd actually buy 256MB (at least) of DDR RAM to go with the new motherboard. DDR does wonders now with the latest VIA KT266A motherboards. Stability and reliablity is not an issue with the Athlon XP as long as you careless research this. You need good cooling but you also want quiet cooling. You'll want a good Heatsink and fan. I'd get an Asus A7V266-E and 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM (although 512 would be better for Photoshop). The Athlon XP 1600+ will give you the most bang for the buck. For cooling, I'd get a Thermalright SK6, a funnel and a 45CFM 80MM fan. Also make sure you get a decent Power supply no matter what platform you end up getting!! It's vital you have a decent Power supply with modern processors. I'd get a 350W Enermax. Well, hope this helps.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

DanielR

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
demonds? do yo mean deamons???

anyway.. another factor in play is the money.. although ram is cheap i sitll don;t think it necessary. i don;t wann throw way 512MB of ram.. mostly becasue its very new.. not even 4 months... not only would i have to ay another bout 80 bucks for 256 megs of 2100 ddr but the 140 that i spent on the 2 sd chips i bought earlier this year. plus i have to pay 500 for deductible on my car and the increased insurance. money is a lil tight on this right now or id be going buck on a new system. trust me.

heres what i came up with seeing my availablilty and cost (in in canada so im sure as in anyway things a different)

CPU - atholon 1600+
mobo: Iwill KK266Plus VIA KT133A w/ 5.1 audio
or
ASUS A7V133 VIA KT133A
(thinkin the iwill seeing how it comes with that i need and don;t at the same time)
or p3 1gig and some intel board

i hate ho mobos always come with more crap then you need... and don;t know what is.. man.. this should be simple ya think?

it'l put me at around 400 after tax.. which is a good thing

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Daemons*

The ram is old, you have to get rid of it lol, getting an sdram mobo is going to limit your power in the long run. 4 months is an age in computers.

As for the ecs, do not get that board, I had 4 count em 4 doa ecs boards, not a pretty sight.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

Era

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2001
You should also consider a mobo with Sis 735 chip .It's fast and it supports both ddr and sdr.And Sis is most probably more stable then VIA (VIA sucks,it's famous of it's crashing(VIA never gets the drivers right ))and Sis is cheaper.you could always update to ddr later.
I have a VIA mobo and it used to lock up once a week or so,until VIA released new drivers,so I should know.

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010924/index.html" target="_new">http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010924/index.html</A>

Athlon XP1600 or even XP1500.The hsf that comes with it ,is ok(if you don't oc).

But check your psu .XP takes more power then P3.
<A HREF="http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_1039^1053,00.html" target="_new">http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_1039^1053,00.html</A>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well i suggest a athlon 1Ghz+ and a iwill KK266r-plus mobo.
cheap CPU and very high performing sdram mobo.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!