bolo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I am beginning to wonder if this was a good choice. Anywaymy problem is this. Sometimes win98 runs fine (2nd ed) but sometimes when you boot up, there are like 6 or 7 PCI communication devices and a early non VGA device. it screws up my modem and my creative sound card, which incidently are the only things on my PCI slots. I dont know what is going on but i think it has something to do with my MB. Also when i lower my 1.4 athlon to 1.050 the problem disappears. Anyone got any bright ideas?

Got 256 DDR ram n 64mb geforce 2 pro n ibm HD cheers

bolo

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
according to cpu cool 7 its about 50, does rise up to 58 though. Everytime it happens i have to flash the cmos and this removes the phantom communications devices. I think there must something wrong with my MB.

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
flash the bios. many of these problems have been fixed. if you need help on bios flashing post back.

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I have a 1.2 Ghz T-bird on a k75sa mobo and my CDRW writer won't write (something about a SCSI/ATAPI time out error). I went to tweak the bios for the IDE channel and it doesn't have all of the options available. Is this a BIOS issue? If so, where can I get the latest BIOS? What happens if your computer freezes during a flash BIOS update?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
skimzzz, try the burner in another comp. i had the same problem with my first k7s5a. thought it was my burner and sent it back to yamaha. turned out everything was a-ok with the burner. then i read that faq's about the k7s5a and that's one of the various problems people are having; corrupt cd recordings or it's not able to record at all.

G

k7s5a is unstable with a high-end thunderbird! go duron or xp! but some ppl still gets errors from xp!, another thing.. a stick on DIMM2 gives alot of crashes...

i.. myself is an owner of this mobo so i know.. ;) but its coo, best bang for bucks! must treat it right tho, good PSU + good RAM = stable system! :D

peace outz!!!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I got 4 doa boards, that mobo is a deffinate no reccomend from me.

the k7s5a sucks, bigtime.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

The early revisions of the K75SA suffers from an oversized pull down resistor on the FSB. This causes the BIOS to set itself to default values intermittantly. I had the sam problem with my board with a 1.4GHz Palamino. My board revision was 2, so I exchanged for a revision 5 board. I've had no problems for 4 days now. It used to screw up every 2nd to 3rd boot.

dhlucke

Polypheme
50C-58C seems a bit high on the spectrum in my opinion. You probably want it lower. I don't think there is a set number to go off of, but I've had a system do weird stuff as low as 49C. Once I got it down to 47C it was perfect.

Considering that you can get a stable system by lowering the FSB it seems like it could be heat.

I would seriously consider getting a better ventilated case, arctic silver II, a better HSF, and/or more case fans. Get whatever suits you best and you don't have right now.

I have that board with a 1 Ghz so it's not a perfect comparison, but I'm running at 34C or 41C under full load. Using the Volcano 6Cu.

The board is flawless and I have the rev 4 version that everyone tries to blame their problems on.

Since somebody mentioned the FAQ, here it is: <A HREF="http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4" target="_new">http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=4</A>

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
The board is flawless and I have the rev 4 version that everyone tries to blame their problems on.
yes, i'm sure me as well as many others just made it up and pulled the #4 out of a hat. care to answer why ALL of the exact same hardware running on a gigabyte board is flawless?

dhlucke

Polypheme
I don't own that board. Wouldn't be fair for me to say. I'm just saying that this board is flawless if you get a good one. Nothing is perfect. I'm pretty sure their quality control started lacking once the board got popular. A shame.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
are we ever going to see anything but an ecs sis735 mb?
early reviews of the 735 were flattering. now I read 3 out of 4 are defective. i'm looking to upgrade an asus a7v133 but can't seem to find one socket a mb that doesn't have some sort of downfall. the new via may be the fastest but I've sworn to never buy another. apparently those commie bastards have prevented abit, asus, or gigabyte from ever releasing a 735 too. also I agree with Crash on the THG test. they made it sound like via blew away the nforce when actually it was in the upper half of all the tests and the differences were rather small overall. the onboard video would be a waste for me though. does anybody have a good recommendation. What about the chaintech sis735 or the MSI nforce? ABV (anything but via).

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
are we ever going to see anything but an ecs sis735 mb?
early reviews of the 735 were flattering. now I read 3 out of 4 are defective. i'm looking to upgrade an asus a7v133 but can't seem to find one socket a mb that doesn't have some sort of downfall. the new via may be the fastest but I've sworn to never buy another. apparently those commie bastards have prevented abit, asus, or gigabyte from ever releasing a 735 too. also I agree with Crash on the THG test. they made it sound like via blew away the nforce when actually it was in the upper half of all the tests and the differences were rather small overall. the onboard video would be a waste for me though. does anybody have a good recommendation. What about the chaintech sis735 or the MSI nforce? ABV (anything but via).

G

I know how you feel about VIA. THat was the very reason I got a K7SA. Although I do not recommend them anymore, as I am reading far too many issues with the board, Im incredibly happy with mine. It runs and runs and runs, with no issues, no crashes. For all know, the BSODs in windows XP could be red, I wouldnt know. I have yet to see one. Its very fast as well. And dirt cheap.

I guess I could only advise you to get one, if you have a very good relationship with your local dealer, so you could swap board after board until you get a good one. and of course if you're willing to take the chance to have to do just that. If not, I think I'd reconsider, and get a KT266A anyway. I've not heard of any real issues with that chipset. However much I dislike VIA after my previous KT133/A debacles, it seems they got their act together this time.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
At the present time, considering a lot of the posts about this board, the idea of :
" swap board after board until you get a good one "
seems to be the best advise or (warning) someone can get !
Hunting down a certain rev # could have made things a lot easier, however this now seems to be a waste of time .
Been thinking of this mobo for Christmass time, but don't feel like having to do the Switharoo thing too many times.

Danny

I beleive they are out there ! Or inside here !

G

I just bought one of these because it was cheap...regretting it already I've already forked out what I saved on having to get a decent PSU. Also I've had no end of trouble setting the bastid up and for some unknown reason it takes up to 3 complete shut down and reboots to get going and then sometimes it detects the processor (duron 700) as a 466.

Plus the fact I can't change the multiplier is a real drag.

I bought the motherboard to be a solid basis for a high performance system, now though I'm just gonna pick up whatever I can cheap for it and build my 'high performance' pc later.

VIA seems godlike compared to being on the recieving end of an ECS mobo...

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile: