Is Dell Alienware M17x R3 or Toshiba Quosimo X505-Q8104X gaming laptop better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I've got to agree with phantom, the 555 model is a little low end for gaming, sure it'll run most modern games at mid to high graphics but the extra power needed for the 3D addition is going to keep it in the mid to low range for the high end games.

For pure 3D gaming goodness the Alienware is still the best, but really, 3D gaming on a laptop? You can save 200 - 400 dollars and get a nice Alienware m14x or m15x and an external monitor.

Look up the Asus G73, its brand new out of asus and I've heard nothing but great things about it so far (also it is a 3d laptop if you really have your heart set on that expense).
They are both kinda wayyyyy over the top for everyday use. Both of these are about as hard core gaming as you can get in a notebook.

Of course if a laptop is good at gaming it's going to be good at other things as well.
Do you need a $2000 laptop?

saxophony

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hmmm, let me tell you what I plan on doing with this laptop:

Gaming (games like WoW, but NOT WoW....MMORPG)
College/Everyday Work
Media (Music, Videos, Pictures, etc.)

I guess maybe I am looking at laptops that are way over the top for what I need. May you suggest a model that would better suit my needs?

As you can tell, I really need help in this decision, as I don't know really what I'm looking at.
Thank You

(Edit: the 3D and Blue-ray player would be nice to keep still)

With everything but 3D (which is more of a gimmic anyway)
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 15.6" "Sandy Bridge" Laptop $1034
Core i7-2630QM quad core CPU, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Blu-ray Combo drive, 15.6" 1366x768 LCD w/ GT 555M graphics.
Weighs around 5.95lbs (2.7kg) and measures .86" at its thinnest point, and features smooth metal shell and SRS Premium Sound and JBL speakers.

Since MMORPGs look much nicer on a large screen display you could get an external 1920x1080 LCD and use that for gaming (and school work in the dorm).

This 23" LCD monitor from Samsung also has a digital TV tuner for about $240

saxophony

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you very much for your help!

As you can see I obviously didn't know exactly what I needed or what I was looking for. I've been looking at this laptop you've suggested and it looks great! (Not to mention the drastic price difference as well!)

I originally was looking into a Macbook Pro 15", but decided I could get a lot more out of a PC for lower cost. I was just looking for too much!

Thanks again!

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I've got to agree with phantom, the 555 model is a little low end for gaming, sure it'll run most modern games at mid to high graphics but the extra power needed for the 3D addition is going to keep it in the mid to low range for the high end games.

For pure 3D gaming goodness the Alienware is still the best, but really, 3D gaming on a laptop? You can save 200 - 400 dollars and get a nice Alienware m14x or m15x and an external monitor.

Look up the Asus G73, its brand new out of asus and I've heard nothing but great things about it so far (also it is a 3d laptop if you really have your heart set on that expense).

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.