Sign in with
Your question

Intel Vs. AMD

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2001 9:50:41 AM

is there much difference between a p4 1.5, and an AMD XP 1600 1.4 (apart from the obvious 100mhz!).
Also, what is the difference between an XP 1600, and an athlon 1.4?
Merci beaucoup

More about : intel amd

December 2, 2001 9:53:53 AM

OK 3-2-1 GO GO GO

EVERYONE PUT ON THEIR FIREMAN SUITS
FLAMES ARE A COMMING

Danny
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2001 10:16:24 AM

*looks left* *looks right* *double checks fire retardent suit*

The Athlon will be quite a bit faster and cheaper.

From what I've seen benchmark wise, on average over a wide range of apps. the Athlon tends to compare a little higher then it's PR to the P4. e.g. a 1600 PR rated Athlon would probably hold it's own vs. a 1700MHz P4. (Again over a wide range of apps. depending on what your doing there can be large swings in favour of either chip.)

Also given a P4 and an Athlon of the same price, the Athlon is going to be faster.

*rolls in flame retardent foam and runs like hell*

I AM Canadian.
Related resources
December 2, 2001 11:12:50 AM

You should go for a XP1700+, it's unmatched price/performance, it's a safe choice, performing like bat out of hell in combination with an Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard. Most of your current applications will benefit instantly from it, thanks to high IPC and strong FPU. Best all-round performer for the price.

/Copenhagen
December 2, 2001 11:34:08 AM

oooooohhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnooooooooo fire fire.

just hope Intel_inside, AmDmElTdOwN, and FUGGER don't see this post, or like you said "FLAMES ARE A COMMING".

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2001 11:42:09 AM

ah crap, what have i started :( 
December 2, 2001 11:56:59 AM

You have started a chain reaction that will soon result with the end of the world as we know it.......

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
December 2, 2001 3:00:28 PM

I think it's pretty safe to say most people enjoy reading our responses to these types of posts.

Run along now little amd zealot, you're not wanted here...
December 2, 2001 3:12:28 PM

lol, so you admit you're a troll? HAHA!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 2, 2001 3:19:15 PM

I did not say that at all. I am considered a troll on this board because my views on amd chips are not the same as the views of the majority. However my intention is never to troll, only to bring up a few issues that people tend to ignore. Due to this, my comments are normally not well recieved.

<i>Run along now little amd zealot, you're not wanted here...</i>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2001 4:42:00 PM

im confused :( 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2001 5:06:55 PM

THe forum seems to be very pro AMD. So when comments are made about imperfections of the companies product the end result is somewhat hostile, childish, and retarded. Freedom of speech is not a right here its somewhat a privey.

-Spuddy

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol: 
December 2, 2001 5:17:23 PM

Price-wise the chips are pretty close, with only $20-30 US separating them.
The AXP will net you better scores on the majority of benchmarking programs.

The P4 will perform higher in certain multimedia and content creation benchmarks.

As far as what you see on your screen, the difference will be near-unnoticeable. A few seconds here, a few seconds there.

Oh, and if you want to play Quake 3 and remove the HSF assembly from your processor, the P4 is the way to go.
December 2, 2001 5:27:55 PM

did i miss the fire again? doh!!!

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB
December 2, 2001 6:12:16 PM

The xp1600 will smoke the 1.5ghz p4, not by a little either, the xp1600 is comparable to the 1.9ghz p4.

As for stability, both are perfectly stable.

For overheat protection, the p4 has superios thermal protection, but unless you plan on taking your heatsink off during quake 3, it is not a major concern.

I would go with the amd, its cheaper and faster.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2001 6:46:14 PM

Why ask ? Arent there enough tests/benchmarks/videos/review on the web ? I cant believe someone find its way to these forums, yet doesnt know how to click a link on the homepage.. Go read www.anandtech.com www.aceshardware.com and the reviews on this very site, make up your mind, and then make an educated choice.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
December 2, 2001 6:55:13 PM

STAGELEFT:
FUGGER enters;
December 2, 2001 9:45:02 PM

D'apres ce que je vois

Mercie beaucoup

Tu parle francais.

Présentement les athlon XP son des meilleur choix sur la plupart des test.Le hick sais les chipset pour les athlon XP la plupart sont loin des standart que Intel on pour leur chipset.

Pour te donner une idée

un XP 1600 = un P4 1.8
un XP 1700 = un P4 1.9

Coté stabilité un P4 sur windows 2000 ne crash jamais.Si tu d'autre question écrie

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_comp...
December 2, 2001 9:57:51 PM

I disagree Juin. That applied to the regular Athlon. With the Athlon XP the difference is more like 500MHz. An Athlon XP 1600+ is rougly equalivalent to the P4 1.9Ghz. What do you mean by saying AMD chipsets are far from the standard of Intel's? I can't even understand your French, let alone your English!!

Quote:

Coté stabilité un P4 sur windows 2000 ne crash jamais.

Good for you!! Does that mean you never turn off or restart your PC?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 2, 2001 10:41:28 PM

Quote:
I can't even understand your French, let alone your English!!

LOL LOL LOL.

December 2, 2001 11:59:47 PM

People hate trolls not because they're anti-AMD, but because of the way they convey their opinions. They are rude, hostile and unintelligible.

December 3, 2001 12:05:55 AM

yes very true.

take raystonn. he is obviously intel biased, yet because he is mature and acts like an adult i respect him, and his comments, even though i may not fully agree with them all.

besides... i want his northwood ;) 

people who cannot act like adults dont deserve my respect.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!
December 3, 2001 12:14:31 AM

Avec le merci beaucoup je presume que tu est francais...

La plus grosse diffence enrte les deux est le prix,les CPU comme tel sont presque au meme prix et meme performance,la grosse diffence est que le P4 a besoin d un power supply special qui donne une prise de 12v supplementaire,le AMD lui fonctionne avec un ATX regulier (300w de preferance).
Aussi le motherboard de P4 est plus dispendieux et la memoire aussi (RDRAM a 800Mhz vs DDR a 266Mhz bientot 333Mhz ).

Si tu te sert de ton ordi pour les jeux vas-y pour une carte video de performance(ATI 8550 ou Geforce3 T500) au lieux de te battre entre les deux CPU!!
Tout depand de ton budget...bonne chance!

I hope you realy are french cuz if not all this will go to waste...

Basecely i told the guy that if he is a gamer to go for a good video card like ATI 8500 or Geforce3 T500 and about the price differance between the two.

Sorry for my spelling i'm french...hey i ain't perfect!
December 3, 2001 12:41:02 AM

Quote:

La plus grosse diffence enrte les deux est le prix,les CPU comme tel sont presque au meme prix et meme performance,la grosse diffence est que le P4 a besoin d un power supply special qui donne une prise de 12v supplementaire,le AMD lui fonctionne avec un ATX regulier (300w de preferance).

Not all P4 motherboards need a special 12V connector.

December 3, 2001 12:50:44 AM

Yeah if you want SDRAM wtich is completly stupid to put on a P4...

Sorry for my spelling i'm french...hey i ain't perfect!
December 3, 2001 2:02:53 AM

Defanatly rigth abouts the Ruthe and hostele thing but do not agree about the unintellageble part !!!!!

Me, no not Millenium, me.

********WISH GOOD WILL TO ALL LIVINGBEINGS*******
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2001 4:59:09 AM

Lisant français fait mal mon cerveau.

I AM Canadian.
December 3, 2001 10:59:32 AM

Quote:

Defanatly rigth abouts the Ruthe and hostele thing but do not agree about the unintellageble part !!!!!

What I meant about that (this especially goes for AMDMeltdown) is the all uppercase lettering, the constant use of appreviations and the way some of what he tries to say sounds like it's contradicting what he said before.

December 3, 2001 3:53:29 PM

Quote:
I did not say that at all. I am considered a troll on this board because my views on amd chips are not the same as the views of the majority.

You have been regarded as a troll because your sole intention in coming here was to attack AMD fans.
However, you seem to be getting better. But then again, I haven't finished reading all the new posts in this forum :) 

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 3, 2001 4:34:59 PM

<i>"What I meant about that(this especially goes for AMDMeltdown) is the all uppercase lettering, the constant use of appreviations and the way some of what he tries to say sounds like it's contradicting what he said before."</i> - AMD_Man <i>words of wisdom, q4 wk49</i>

WTF are you going on about? you have the nerve to criticize juin?

AMDMELTDOWN, perserving your idiocy.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
December 3, 2001 4:57:58 PM

Obviously you need to go back to school

December 3, 2001 6:43:22 PM

If you are looking for help to the question you posed, personally write Fatburger, Matisaro, myself, or some of the others here that actually help people when they come here for help. We will try to give you an honest dollars and sense (aka. budget sensative and technically backed) answer where you can still make up your own mind based on the feedback.

Some here on this thread are useless in trying to help. They would much rather beat each other up over opinion instead of verifiable factual logic. Not being specific on who however. Note to all: I undestand that I posted on this page so you can see that I am not trying tick anyone in specific off here. I'll let you all duke it out since there is enough name-calling going on already. It will be clear enough who the idiots are on this thread after they find some offense in my post.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol: 
December 3, 2001 7:23:26 PM

Though you looked out of place with those skates on !

Best way to be ignored here it to advertise :

I AM Canadian. Just kidding hi hi

Do a search for "south park" in the forum, you might be in for a bit of a shocker. But the "Forum Family" itself is really quite fantastic however !

Danny

May all ALIENS you meet, enjoy a good joke.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2001 4:31:32 PM

who are all these monkeys invading my post.....
why are p3 more expensive than p4 while at lesser speed?

wÎñÖW$ xp í$ fÖ® líFÊ, ÑÖt JÛ§T fÖ® ÇH®í§TMÃ$
December 4, 2001 11:19:19 PM

Because Intel is trying to phase the Pentium III out.
December 6, 2001 7:18:29 AM

Quote:
If you are looking for help to the question you posed, personally write Fatburger, Matisaro, myself, or some of the others here that actually help people when they come here for help. We will try to give you an honest dollars and sense

Awww, honestly, its posts like this which keep me checking the cpu forums and trying to help, and not moving to the other forum exclusivly. Thanks for the compliment bum_jc.

December 6, 2001 7:33:32 PM

<picks nose and flicks it at you>

Don't ever make these kinds of threads again.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
!