davess4

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I am about to get a new XP CPU maybe a 1700+. or 18 not sure yet.
I have been reading in a lot of places about how to unlock it but most of them don't seem to say what will happen if you mess it up. Now I would like some extra power but if it is very risky then I don't want to loose my $200 CPU because I messed it up.. Any advice would be great :) thanks guys.

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Why overclock? That is what you do with Intel processors to get the performance/price ratio up. Athlon XP 1800 @ 1.533GHz is pretty fast, not to mention cheap ($220).

I have to agree. I wasn't able to unlock my xp, and ended up with super glue all over the bridges. It doesn't hurt anything, but don't scrape the surface of the brown organic material on the xp. It's very thin, and you can easily expose the circuitry underneath by scraping too hard. If you must overclock, go for a modest fsb of 138. Anything above that can cause problems in the long run.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why would anything above 138MHz FSB cause problems. If you have decent RAM and a decent motherboard thenn you can up the IO voltage a bit and get to 150MHz FSB without any problems.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why would anything above 138MHz FSB cause problems. If you have decent RAM and a decent motherboard thenn you can up the IO voltage a bit and get to 150MHz FSB without any problems.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
overclocking voids your warrenty.. so when your chip fries itself you have to fork out 200$ for a new one.

<i>Run along now little amd zealot, you're not wanted here...</i>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The chance of frying a CPU is very small unless you overclocked way beyond spec and don't use proper cooling.

Ganache

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why would it void your waranty... it's not like their is a counter on the cpu that says , hey ! i fried at XX Ghz !!

????????????

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
It is running the cpu out of spec. Cpu's are intended to run cool and stable (although stable is relative, for me stable is uptimes beyond a week for windows XP) at the speed you buy them at. AMD or intel cannot be bothered helping out people who run their cpu's out of spec. Overclocking can introduce new problems that they should not have to deal with. It is the user's own risk.

<i>Run along now little amd zealot, you're not wanted here...</i>