new (old) player

I'm and old D&D player who's been out of the loop for some time now. I
just learned that my Grandson is interested in playing. I need to know
if there are major differences between the edition I used to play -
second edition - and the 3.5 edition. I want to give him my core books
which are second edition, but someone told be the rules are now very
different.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to gift him by mid
May.

sloman

sloman wrote:
> I'm and old D&D player who's been out of the loop for some time now. I
> just learned that my Grandson is interested in playing. I need to know
> if there are major differences between the edition I used to play -
> second edition - and the 3.5 edition. I want to give him my core books
> which are second edition, but someone told be the rules are now very
> different.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to gift him by mid
> May.
>
> sloman

Ack! If you give him the 2ed. books, give them to him as a collector's
item (hey, some day, you never know) but please tell him not to play
from them if he wants to play current D&D. I learned D&D by playing in
two different campaigns simultaneously -- one 2nd ed. and one 3rd ed. --
I thought my head was going to explode, and I didn't really understand
the game until I dropped the 2nd ed. game and focused on learning ONE
system.

If you can afford it, get him the 3.5 core books. Second ed. isn't
played much these days, so if you give him the 2.0 core books, he's
likely to end up as muddled as I did by trying to learn two very
different systems.

That said, also buy him a set of dice. I've noticed that dice given to
me as a gift (unless they are from my husband, weird, huh?) always roll
much better than the ones I buy for myself.

susan

"sloman" <sloman013@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm and old D&D player who's been out of the loop for some time now. I
> just learned that my Grandson is interested in playing. I need to know
> if there are major differences between the edition I used to play -
> second edition - and the 3.5 edition. I want to give him my core books
> which are second edition, but someone told be the rules are now very
> different.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to gift him by mid
> May.

They are significantly different. So much so that anything released these
days will be utterly incompatible with your old books. It is the opinion
of most posters here that the new rules are superior to the old ones in
every way and so I'd recommend a "fresh start", so to speak.

The shell of the rules are available via an open license. Download them
from the wizards website
http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

Or view them in a more handy format
http://d20srd.org

Character creation and advancement rules are missing as is a great deal of
the flavour and descriptive text. A few trademark monsters are also
missing.

Okay, here's the short course:

All classes now work on the same Experience point basis to level.

Stacking classes is easier, but no longer "cheap", in that adding a
level in a new class costs the same Exp as adding a level in the old
one. If it's your 5th level, it's your 5th level, no matter what class
it's in.

Exp to advance is no longer doubling each leve, it's closer to a
Fibinacci sequence. You advance fast, and continuously.

The combat tables used to calculate "to hit" don't exist any more.
Instead, you roll a dice, add in your attack bonuses from levels,
abilities, and magic, and compare it to their Armor Class. If your
total is higher, you hit. On a related note, Armor Class now gets
*bigger* as it gets better. So AC 20 is now what AC 0 used to be.

Gone are the days of 18/76 Strength. Abilities can and do go over 20,
in a smooth progression.

Every ability score has a bonus/penalty potential, and they all work the
same way: +1 bonus for every 2 points over 10. Penalties on the same
scale for numbers under 10.

There's a Skill system that really comes into play. Each skill has an
ability score that it's based on, so you do skill checks by taking the
number of points you have in the skill, adding in the bonus or penalty
from that appropriate ability score, and add the results to a D20.
Compare this to the Target # for the problem at hand to see if you succeed.

Feats become a major part of character development. Feats are tricks
and techniques that characters can learn. You start with one or two,
depending on race and class, and gain more over time. They let your
character do special things, like swing at every character around yours
with a single attack, or carry a blow through one opponent and into another.

There are rules for making your own magic items, in game. This depends
on specific Feats.

The "round" of play is now officially 6 seconds. Miniatures are now
more called for than ever.

So they've changed the way armor class works, character creation rules
are different, combat is different, magic is different, advancement is
different, monsters are different, many character classes are different,
and racial modifiers are different.

Other than that, nothing much changed :)

The Bear <thkbear@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Exp to advance is no longer doubling each leve, it's closer to a
>Fibinacci sequence. You advance fast, and continuously.

It's based on triangular numbers. If you're level X, you need X thousand
xp to hit level X+1.

--
--DcB

They are two completely different game systems that share the same name.
How old is your grandson? He may enjoy playing both systems.

sloman wrote:
> I'm and old D&D player who's been out of the loop for some time now.
> I just learned that my Grandson is interested in playing. I need to
> know if there are major differences between the edition I used to play
> - second edition - and the 3.5 edition.

Yes, it's quite different. While it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to
give away your AD&D books to a new player -- we all learned from those
old rules, after all -- they'll have a hard time getting any additional
materials beyond what you give away, and frankly the AD&D rules will
make the game harder to learn than necessary.

Instead, I would recommend buying a copy of the D&D "Basic Game," a
boxed set with a gentle introduction to the 3rd-edition rules, a set of
dice, and some miniatures. (Note that this is not the same thing as the
old "Basic D&D" game.) It's much easier than trying to learn AD&D, the
upgrade path is a lot easier, and IIRC it costs less than $20. If your
grandson likes it, then you can help him get into the full game, which
costs about $100 for a DM (all three core rulebooks) or $30 for a player
(PHB only).
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Symbol wrote:

> The shell of the rules are available via an open license. Download them
> from the wizards website
> http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
>
> Or view them in a more handy format
> http://d20srd.org
>
> Character creation and advancement rules are missing as is a great deal
> of the flavour and descriptive text. A few trademark monsters are also
> missing.

I think this website has a better presentation, all told:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Perge, scelus, mihi diem perficias.

Asatoma sat gamaya, tamasoma jyotir gamaya, mrityorma anritam gamaya.

sloman wrote:
> I'm and old D&D player who's been out of the loop for some time now.
> just learned that my Grandson is interested in playing.
[snip]

This is the sole reason that I would consider having children. Well,
that and Axis & Allies.

- Kertis

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Christopher Adams just
said...
> Symbol wrote:
> >
> > The shell of the rules are available via an open license. Download them
> > from the wizards website
> > http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
> >
> > Or view them in a more handy format
> > http://d20srd.org
> >
> > Character creation and advancement rules are missing as is a great deal
> > of the flavour and descriptive text. A few trademark monsters are also
> > missing.
>
> I think this website has a better presentation, all told:
>
> http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html

As does this one:

http://www.d20srd.org/

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote in message
> sloman wrote:
>> I'm and old D&D player who's been out of the loop for some time now.
>> I just learned that my Grandson is interested in playing. I need to
>> know if there are major differences between the edition I used to play
>> - second edition - and the 3.5 edition.
>
> Yes, it's quite different. While it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to
> give away your AD&D books to a new player -- we all learned from those
> old rules, after all -- they'll have a hard time getting any additional
> materials beyond what you give away, and frankly the AD&D rules will
> make the game harder to learn than necessary.
>
> Instead, I would recommend buying a copy of the D&D "Basic Game," a
> boxed set with a gentle introduction to the 3rd-edition rules, a set of
> dice, and some miniatures. (Note that this is not the same thing as the
> old "Basic D&D" game.) It's much easier than trying to learn AD&D, the
> upgrade path is a lot easier, and IIRC it costs less than $20. If your
> grandson likes it, then you can help him get into the full game, which
> costs about $100 for a DM (all three core rulebooks) or $30 for a player
> (PHB only).

OR...
You could Ebay for the books in question I got all three corebooks, in
surprizingly good condition, for 45 dollars.
Just a thought...

--
--==--
Jerry Chesko

"Jeff Heikkinen" <no.way@jose.org> wrote in message
> Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Christopher Adams just
> said...
> > Symbol wrote:
> > >
> > > The shell of the rules are available via an open license. Download
them
> > > from the wizards website
> > > http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35
> > >
> > > Or view them in a more handy format
> > > http://d20srd.org
> > >
> > > Character creation and advancement rules are missing as is a great
deal
> > > of the flavour and descriptive text. A few trademark monsters are
also
> > > missing.
> >
> > I think this website has a better presentation, all told:
> >
> > http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html
>
> As does this one:
>
> http://www.d20srd.org/

Huh? That's one of the sites I linked to.

Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Symbol just said...

> "Jeff Heikkinen" <no.way@jose.org> wrote in message
> > Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Christopher Adams just
> > said...

> them

> deal
> also
> > >
> > > I think this website has a better presentation, all told:
> > >
> > > http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/home.html
> >
> > As does this one:
> >
> > http://www.d20srd.org/
>
> Huh? That's one of the sites I linked to.

Wasn't paying attention to the older posts, only Chris'. Sorry.

> Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Symbol just said...
> >
> > "Jeff Heikkinen" <no.way@jose.org> wrote in message
> > > Time to step up the meds; I could have sworn Christopher Adams just
> > > said...

Download
> > them

> > deal
> > also

> > > As does this one:
> > >
> > > http://www.d20srd.org/
> >
> > Huh? That's one of the sites I linked to.
>
> Wasn't paying attention to the older posts, only Chris'. Sorry.

Ah! No worries.