For those in the know about nvidia video cards...

I currently have a 64mb DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4200 Graphics Card with
TV-Out which so far has treated me well. A friend of mine has a NVIDIA
Quadro NVS 280 that she wants to give me, sez it's way better then the one I
have. From what I can tell it's a 64mb card like the one I have. Is the
latter that much better to change, or is the one I have currently good
enough and not worth the hastle of changing to this one mention here?

The Wavester wrote:
> I currently have a 64mb DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4200 Graphics Card with
> TV-Out which so far has treated me well. A friend of mine has a NVIDIA
> Quadro NVS 280 that she wants to give me, sez it's way better then the one I
> have. From what I can tell it's a 64mb card like the one I have. Is the
> latter that much better to change, or is the one I have currently good
> enough and not worth the hastle of changing to this one mention here?

It depends on what you do with your computer. The Quadro 280NVS doesn't
support 3D hardware rendering. That equates to your favorite 3D
intensive game running at 2-5 frames per second-- assuming it will even
run at all.

The Quadro NVS280, and really the Quadro line of graphics cards, are
designed and marketed with graphical design and engineering applications
in mind. The main advantage you would get from a Quadro NVS is the
ability to drive one or more displays at high resolution, and hardware
accelerated support for some special-purpose API's.

The bottom line is that if you play games, you're better off with the
Ti4200.

Amethyst <user@domain.ku> wrote:

>The Wavester wrote:

>> I currently have a 64mb DDR NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4200 Graphics Card with
>> TV-Out which so far has treated me well. A friend of mine has a NVIDIA
>> Quadro NVS 280 that she wants to give me, sez it's way better then the one I
>> have. From what I can tell it's a 64mb card like the one I have. Is the
>> latter that much better to change, or is the one I have currently good
>> enough and not worth the hastle of changing to this one mention here?

>It depends on what you do with your computer. The Quadro 280NVS doesn't
>support 3D hardware rendering. That equates to your favorite 3D
>intensive game running at 2-5 frames per second-- assuming it will even
>run at all.
>
>The Quadro NVS280, and really the Quadro line of graphics cards, are
>designed and marketed with graphical design and engineering applications
>in mind. The main advantage you would get from a Quadro NVS is the
>ability to drive one or more displays at high resolution, and hardware
>accelerated support for some special-purpose API's.
>
>The bottom line is that if you play games, you're better off with the
>Ti4200.

This exchange reinforces the uselessness of the term "better",
standing alone, when used with computers/computer components.
"Better" can only have meaning when combined with the word "for",
and with some application or intended use for the
computer/computer component involved. Yes, the Quadro NVS 280
was "better" for some applications, but, in fact, "worse" for
others. Wavester's friend was doing him no favors by not
realizing that distinction when she made the assertion.
--
OJ III